I live on a farm and work with animals on a regular basis: AMA

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
I've probably mentioned it before, but I genuinely do live on a farm. I've lived on farms for just about all my life, and I'd be happy to answer any questions people have.

Reactions: List

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
what animals are the best and worst to work with
Chickens tend to be the best, personally. They peck and act like cunts sometimes, but they can be really friendly and it's very wholesome.
They can also shit all over you and beat the shit out of each other to the extent where the loser had to have an eye removed.

The worst to me has to be Pygmy Goats; they're little aggressive shits who headslam into your shins. Regular goats, if pissed off, may just ram you. Pygmy Goats are the wasps of the Goatworld. It's meant to be 'playing' but they also hit each other whilst eating.

Though to properly work with, I'd say my Manx Loaghtan are the best. They don't ram you, and they tend to just get out of your way as you do stuff. Very helpful.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Chickens tend to be the best, personally. They peck and act like cunts sometimes, but they can be really friendly and it's very wholesome.
They can also shit all over you and beat the shit out of each other to the extent where the loser had to have an eye removed.

The worst to me has to be Pygmy Goats; they're little aggressive shits who headslam into your shins. Regular goats, if pissed off, may just ram you. Pygmy Goats are the wasps of the Goatworld. It's meant to be 'playing' but they also hit each other whilst eating.

Though to properly work with, I'd say my Manx Loaghtan are the best. They don't ram you, and they tend to just get out of your way as you do stuff. Very helpful.

favourite and least favourite job on the farm?

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
favourite and least favourite job on the farm?
Favourite is probably cleaning the donkey shit.
It's weirdly peaceful, and gives a nice state of mind cos usually I'm doing it with other people, and there's music.

Least favourite is cleaning the pig field.
I personally request to not do it, and it's not because of the shit in the field but moreso the pigs themselves, which spook me. They're not really scary in their own way, I just have paranoia about it.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Favourite is probably cleaning the donkey shit.
It's weirdly peaceful, and gives a nice state of mind cos usually I'm doing it with other people, and there's music.

I personally request to not do it, and it's not because of the shit in the field but moreso the pigs themselves, which spook me. They're not really scary in their own way, I just have paranoia about it.

i respect any man that enjoys cleaning shit

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
i respect any man that enjoys cleaning shit
Usually it's easier when the donkeys are out in their field and not their pen, because they aren't walking about, but they're nice to pet.
Even when they're trying to eat the shit out of the wheelbarrow.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

Is it true that pigs will eat whatever shit they're thrown, and may resort to cannibalism if one of them dies and is left there?

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Is it true that pigs will eat whatever shit they're thrown, and may resort to cannibalism if one of them dies and is left there?
Pigs are able to eat mostly anything, though that doesn't mean its healthy for them. There are things that they won't eat, usually inanimate objects like food bowls, most moderate-sized metal things, etc.
And, in the same way chickens will eat cracked eggs, a pig will most likely eat another pig if its dead and there's no other food around.
Do people still practise crop rotation or does everyone just go with monoculture with the help of fertilizers?
It's dependant on who you ask, and what style they grow their crops. On a mass production basis, crop rotation isn't very effective as they can constantly replenish the soil with chemicals in-order to let them maintain an optimal output, however it only really works if you're doing it in batteries of sorts, like animal farming.
If you grow in large fields that span several acres, then you're likely to have crop rotation as well as the slurry.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Different kind of farmer.
I work with animals, and more as a petting zoo than a battery farm.
I'm not qualified to answer that question properly, and I don't want to misinform you.

what a wonderful and honest answer

Sil

jus one more fing
Nebulae
Sure, how many times have you been bitten by the rooster?
Across all the roosters (There's about 4) I've been nipped maybe... five times?
The hens tend to be the nippy ones. But none have ever properly bitten.

The worst I've had a chicken do, is a Brahma chicken slam my shins with his talons.
Luckily I was wearing kneelength boots, so all it did was hurt me.

This is what a Brahma looks like. They're huge, it's quite intimidating.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Across all the roosters (There's about 4) I've been nipped maybe... five times?
The hens tend to be the nippy ones. But none have ever properly bitten.

The worst I've had a chicken do, is a Brahma chicken slam my shins with his talons.
Luckily I was wearing kneelength boots, so all it did was hurt me.

This is what a Brahma looks like. They're huge, it's quite intimidating.

what the fuck that thing looks like it could wrestle me