I need help.

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Monks, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Monks

Monks Quark

Nebulae:
    So, I've recently been banned. It was completely justified, but the main reason I did was seriously "boredom". I just wanted to ask for some advice on how to avoid this in the future. How can I make RP more interesting or just be better at it in general, specifically as a Citizen.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  2. lucid

lucid aussie battler

Nebulae:
    Take the time to properly think through an interesting character idea and set goals before you even hop in - that way you won’t end up wandering around aimlessly and get bored

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  3. Rabid

Rabid Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    Remaining interested is almost entirely about coming up with a concept and setting yourself goals - short term and long.

Very few people can remain purely as neutral citizens unless they find a niche of passive; most people drift to loyalism and join a faction or become more rebellious and do that side of things.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  4. spalius

spalius Electron

Nebulae:
    Make a good name for your character that you like how it sounds. Seriously.

I've often abandoned characters due to a not so catchy and memorable name, and one that I didn't really like.

So, try that. It improved a lot of things for me.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  5. Ricsow

Ricsow professional retard
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Ngl I just jump into a Character blindly sometimes, and have a start and end for them planned out, and make up things while Roleplaying to develop the char. Sometimes it works (Keith Xavior, Vino, etc...), sometimes it doesn‘t (all the characters I‘ve ended up deleting). Hell, sometimes not even the start and end really works, I was planning on Keith Xavior dying after 3 months... he‘s been around for almost 13 months.

But yeah, just don‘t do what I do and you should be fine lol

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  6. dingbat

dingbat Molecule

Nebulae:
    I think planning out the death of your character from the start can be very unnatural. I mean, one thing is your character leading up to a shit state to the point they consider suicide or something that'll get them killed, another thing is just "My character will die in this precise date!". It's just my opinion anyway.

I very rarely have a goal to my characters, and even if I do, I never accomplish their end goal so to speak. Of course, if I want to make x a rebel, I will. If I want y to be a conformist, I will do that. Although, some things you just can't plan and you gotta flow with it and re-shape your character.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. Ricsow

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Yeah I know, that‘s why I advice to not do what I do. My death plan failing is basically the reason why Keith is a meme now.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  8. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac rob-approved!
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    My best character is shaped out of the fact that all I decided on in the beginning was where they came from, what their situation was and why they are where they are. (Backstory, Personality, Motivations, Likes, Dislikes etc) and from there I let everything change fluidly, From caring to more cold-hearted for example.

9. Corey

Corey Kino™ Certified

Nebulae:
    City RP is something I only really enjoy doing as either an Italian mobster or a CP, can't really get on as a generic loyalist char besides when I had Yuri. RebelRP is something you just need to wait on for events or something since there isn't any way you can actively progress without just farming metal as a store owner.

Best way to enjoy the server honestly is to just walk around and wait for interesting things to come your way, rather than fucking around out of boredom. Or you could risk your character and do something like mug a cop or CWU or whatever.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dingbat

dingbat Molecule

Nebulae:
    Alternatively, getting to know a lot of people and talk about random things (backstory, that cool show, w/e) is also nice and I've really come to like it as a civi

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  11. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck

Nebulae:
    still want to try and pull off a schizo character somehow, but I'm not sure how to do it without coming across as taking the piss

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  12. HBaguette

HBaguette bitchmade
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    It's usually very difficult to RP mental illness well unless you have experience with it yourself.

13. jb

jb Molecule

Nebulae:
    it should be quite easy for him, then

• nebulous nebulous x 10
  14. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 14
  15. 傘公司

傘公司 Extraction Point

Nebulae:
    This is what I do to avoid getting bored when on the server: I create a character and give it a background, then I try and give my character a purpose (usually a job, either get employed or start earning money by yourself) then from there, you'll start creating tasks for yourself and creating more and more objectives to accomplish, whenever you want to continue your character's work, you hop on the server and roleplay it. You'll eventually start to meet people, make contacts, make friends and collegues and then you'll start hopping more often on the server just to meet them and roleplay with them. When you have actually something to do or to keep IC, you'll automaticly stop these 'boredoom vibes' that are causing you harm. Basicly what happened to me. I don't usually hop on the server when I don't have anything to do at all, because that usually leads to boredoom and then griefing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sloth

Sloth Welcome. Welcome to City 17.
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    You got banned for using a whitelist to spawn in items for your other character to benefit from. You had a nice goal for your character, you wanted him to become a loyalist, but unfortunately, you tried to do it through rule-breaking means and then proceeded to lie to me. I highly suggest you focus on yourself and see if this game mode is worth it to you. This gamemode requires time and effort, and it punishes heavily on people who try to take shortcuts on everything.

Put the effort in, and you will be rewarded and so will those around you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. MaXenzie

MaXenzie Sexually attracted to robots
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    at some point, you'll be bored of the setting

that's when you should consider moving on, because there isnt much you can do to change the setting itself

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. chronos

chronos `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    keith is a meme?

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  19. Ricsow

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I guess, a lot of people joke about him, I was told. Even outside of nebulous.

20. chronos

chronos `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    i’ve seen no one other than u make keith xavior memes

• Zing Zing x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice