Suggestion Improve /roll

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
god this might actually be the biggest pipe dream of a suggestion ever

Suggestion: Make /roll far better. Allow rolling multiple notations and dice scales, like 3d6, 2d20, etc, and allow modifiers to be used, showing both the natural roll, and the modified result. Cap the minimum roll to 1 instead of 0.
Why it would be worth adding: God this would make rolling so much cooler. I remember someone doing a series of Darkest Dungeon inspired events in a previous iteration of HL2RP and I thought that level of creativity and ingenuity was going to waste being used with such a shit roll system. With a /roll command that allows for multiple dice and modifiers, people can write up funny little stat sheets for their characters, or use a standardized roll modifier system for when P2L breaks down. That kinda stuff!
Necessary content:
Acts of masochism from the developers to try and rework /roll

Reactions: List

boots

spooky skellys
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I can't speak on his behalf but I believe Gary expressed some interest in this.

It would definitely be cool to see, plus the proposed change that caps /roll at 1 is amazing.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
cool but rarely used when the combat system is s2k, if ever used

standard /roll is king

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
cool but rarely used when the combat system is s2k, if ever used

standard /roll is king

i dont expect this to apply much to s2k, but for events...

honestly if /roll was reworked i'd love to do small 4-man events where people have lil character sheets and RP items with stats

like little dungeon runs

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
god this might actually be the biggest pipe dream of a suggestion ever

Suggestion: Make /roll far better. Allow rolling multiple notations and dice scales, like 3d6, 2d20, etc, and allow modifiers to be used, showing both the natural roll, and the modified result. Cap the minimum roll to 1 instead of 0.
Why it would be worth adding: God this would make rolling so much cooler. I remember someone doing a series of Darkest Dungeon inspired events in a previous iteration of HL2RP and I thought that level of creativity and ingenuity was going to waste being used with such a shit roll system. With a /roll command that allows for multiple dice and modifiers, people can write up funny little stat sheets for their characters, or use a standardized roll modifier system for when P2L breaks down. That kinda stuff!
Necessary content: Acts of masochism from the developers to try and rework /roll

i like dnd roll systems so I agree

This has nothing to do with the actual Suggestion, but I also remember being on another RP server that worked around the shitty helix Roll system by doing a pretty cool Google Sheet stat system. The idea being that each person keeps a track of this like a character sheet. When they do an action that requires a roll - they do a /roll out of 100, and must roll UNDER their respective stat number.

98hZkTv.png

It was very cool and wanted an excuse to talk about it

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

This has nothing to do with the actual Suggestion, but I also remember being on another RP server that worked around the shitty helix Roll system by doing a pretty cool Google Sheet stat system. The idea being that each person keeps a track of this like a character sheet. When they do an action that requires a roll - they do a /roll out of 100, and must roll UNDER their respective stat number.

98hZkTv.png

this is basically a d% system, as used in Call of Cthulhu or Dark Heresy

with the current /roll system you'd have to roll 99 and then add 1 because doing /roll 100 actually makes you roll a d101

FreeSpy

Atom
Nebulae

98hZkTv.png

this gives me an idea...

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i was going to make a new thread but i remembered this fucker's still about

with the new dev i may as well give another piece

in an ideal world i'd like the roll system to be on par with Roll20's or Avrae's

LacQ2Af.png

also remove 0 as the minimum value for a roll.
/roll 100 should roll 100 possible outcomes from 1-100, not 101 possible outcomes from 0-100