HL2RP Kafe incorrect handling of a situation

Discussion in 'Abuse Reports' started by Elpine, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:26 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elpine

Elpine String

Nebulae:
    Your Steam Name: Elpine
    Your Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:13236655

Server: HL2RP
    Steam/Forum Name (Tag them with @ before their name): @Kafe
    Server Directors of Server: @Blackquill

Reason for Request: Unfair ban.
    Time of Occurence: ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:31:08
    Evidence:

My character approached an individual who was standing in a relatively dark area of the city. She attempted to engage with the person, however there was no response. My character took this as a grave insult due to her backstory. She then laid into the woman and knocked her out. This can be seen in pictures #1 and #2. My character then proceeded to continue about her evening.

In picture #3 I became aware of a person typing about something that may have been related, so I took a picture. Due to the poor English and mistake of using OOC chat, I assumed it was the person my character knocked out. The OOC message appeared 7 minutes after the event.

In picture #4 I am contacted by the person, who I assume to be the character I knocked out, via PMs. I assumed they were potentially metagaming, or attempting to interrupt my RP so I asked them politely to leave me alone. Please note that they didn't identify themselves as a staff member, nor would I have any reason to believe that they were. This PM came 10 minutes after the OOC message, a total of 17 minutes after the event.

In picture #5 the person attempts to identify themselves as staff, however they are not on the staff list on the scoreboard and there are two staff members online. I assume that they are continuing to MG, and repeat my earlier request for them to leave me alone. This happens 7 minutes after the previous PM exchange.

In picture #6 you can see my ban, which is patently untrue. There is a valid reason for my RP and there is little to no reason it can't be handled through IC channels- with the victim roleplaying being knocked out, CCTV being scanned, etc.

I did not refuse to co-operate with staff, I asked a random person who PMed me to leave me alone. I assumed this person was the person who got knocked out. They did not identify themselves as staff, nor did their behaviour lead me to believe they were staff.

Staff know when a player has been killed. A correct initial approach would have been. "Hi, I'm staff member x. I can see you killed someone, would you explain why?". I would have engaged with any contact of that nature and subsequently explained my character's reasoning behind knocking someone out. The way in which I was approached led me to believe someone was trying to metagame or trip me up into admitting something I hadn't done, in order to complain to the staff who presumably told them to keep it IC- assuming the person who typed in OOC was the victim, that would have been them explaining the situation to the identified staff members. There were two staff members online at the time in the scoreboard, the person PMing me wasn't one of them. Please note the length of time it took for a staff member to contact me, it is unreasonable to expect me to believe that the person PMing was a staff member, and not simply an upset victim.

Any productive attempt at engagement with me would have been met in a sincere manner, I am a native English speaker who has engaged in serious RP intermittently for approximately 13 years. Even if I were a mouth breathing DarkRP player, growing the community would require staff members to speak to the players who break the rules in a far more productive manner than Kafe did with me. Perhaps guiding their conduct and explaining what they should be doing instead.

None the less, I would appreciate being unbanned and Kafe spoken to regarding their conduct as a ambassador of the server and its community. I will not let this experience tarnish my image of the server, and I look forward to great RP experiences and opportunities in the future.

Many thanks-

Elpine

#1 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:04:29
    [​IMG]

#2 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:04:50
    [​IMG]

#3 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:11:40
    [​IMG]

#4 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:21:58
    [​IMG]

#5 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:28:10
    [​IMG]

#6 - ‎06 ‎November ‎2019, ‏‎23:29:38
    [​IMG]

Any additional members involved:

2. Blackquill

Blackquill Grumpy Server Director
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    I will await a response from @Kafe as I go over the thread.

This will be treated as a ban appeal as well, as I feel that's more suitable for the situation in question.

How long were you banned for?

3. Elpine

Elpine String

Nebulae:
    I didn't attempt to reconnect to the server before writing this report. I checked just now and it says I have 2 days remaining. As short as it is, I'd rather not have this sort of thing in my history.

4. Kafe

Kafe Kafe/ Bastion
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Ban was for three days.
    I am currently at work, but once I'm wrapped up for the day, I will give my response.
    Likely between 9-10pm

5. Blackquill

Nebulae:
    So I've went over the specifics, gathered the relevant logs here (timestamps might be a tiny bit off, this is taken from 2 diff log files):

The situation begins here:
    Code:
    [23:00:26] Elpine loaded the character 'Susie Francesca KIng'

[Wed Nov  6 23:01:28 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: ?
     [Wed Nov  6 23:01:31 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: What you sayin'?
     [Wed Nov  6 23:03:19 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: You got that sauce?
     [Wed Nov  6 23:03:43 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: Stupid bitch
     [Wed Nov  6 23:04:00 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: Didn't you learn to talk?
    Then it escalates:
    Code:
    [23:03:37] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:38] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:43] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:44] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:45] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:46] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:48] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:49] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:49] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:50] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:51] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:52] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:54] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:55] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:03:56] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:01] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:02] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:03] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:03] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:04] J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins has taken 5 damage from Susie Francesca KIng.
    [23:04:04] Susie Francesca KIng has killed J.W. Kaithleen 'Twenty' Jenkins with ix_hands.
    [23:04:24] [ME] Susie Francesca KIng: wipes her knuckles off on the woman's clothes.
    Then @Kafe steps in:
    Code:
    [Wed Nov  6 23:21:15 2019] <STEAM_0:0:61703933> Emily 'Architect' Harrison: /pm "Susie Francesca KIng" "Hello, did you punch an AFK character to death?"

[Wed Nov  6 23:21:53 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: /pm Emily Please don't PM me, it ruins my immersion. Thanks.
    [Wed Nov  6 23:27:21 2019] <STEAM_0:0:61703933> Emily 'Architect' Harrison: /pm "Susie Francesca KIng" "As staff, I need to know if you did."
    [Wed Nov  6 23:28:06 2019] <STEAM_0:0:13236655> Susie Francesca KIng: /pm Emily I asked you to not PM me as it ruins my immersion, I am not going to reply any further. Thanks.
    Finally, the ban is issued:
    Code:
    [Wed Nov  6 23:29:20 2019] <STEAM_0:0:61703933> Emily 'Architect' Harrison: /plyban "STEAM_0:0:13236655" 4320 "Mingepunched a CWU character to death - Refused twiced to co-operate with staff when approached regarding the matter. Appeal your ban on Nebulous.Cloud - Kafe"
    Now, I will say that you did break a few rules during the situations, I can go over those seperately. I think there was some room for improvement on how the situation was handled, however I feel like this could've been partially avoided if the conversation in /pms has been conducted better on both sides. From the looks of it, Kafe did try to identify himself as a member of staff.

I'm happy to answer any questions if needed

6. Elpine

Elpine String

Nebulae:
    @Blackquill

I didn't really have any reason to believe Kafe was staff. Especially with the second PM it just seemed like they were trying to get me to confess to something, or otherwise cause bother. The length of time between the event, the PMs and such was very much something I believe a tilted player would've done. A staff member knows that someone was killed and therefore I believe Kafe should've been direct about that with me, or anyone that they're dealing with.

I think that the ban could've been avoided if the PM exchange went better. I was obviously wrong in assuming the person PMing me wasn't a staff member, and I apologise for that.

I apologise that I broke some rules, upon looking back at my RP, it could've been far better. Perhaps my character should be a little more restrained, I implanted in her the vibes that I got from my previous experiences of HL2RP; mistrust, despair, stress, intensity, sorrow, despondency, and perhaps a level of resigned apathy. I can certainly see that with my incorrect capitalisation of her surname, I'd look like a minge. I do understand to a certain extent why I was banned, though I can't help feel as though it was unnecessary and perhaps unfairly limits my options in this community in the future.

7. Blackquill

Nebulae:
    I wouldn't worry about the ban's impact; usually bans like this they happen and are a product of their time. It's only the more serious and purposeful rule breaks that 'stick around' so to speak. That's if those minor bans aren't appealed anyway.

When @Kafe is available I'm sure he'll give a re-assuring response as well as his rationale behind his decision

As for the ban itself, I'm fine for it to be lifted as it seems you've already served what is essentially a 24hr ban since this happened yesterday. I will say, it is probably best to give our ruleset a read to prevent situations like this from happening in the future. We've also got a staff roster so if you want to check the rank of who you're being spoken to by etc.

I would say the main issue with what you did in game was:
    • Punching an AFK player to death with little roleplay behind it (No /mes as well as not waiting for their reaction)
    That's ultimately what got you banned here.

8. Elpine

Elpine String

Nebulae:
    I'll be sure to give the ruleset a good going over. I appreciate the timely responses and investigation. In future I'll definitely take care to RP more thoroughly.

Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Blackquill

Nebulae:
    No problem

Your ban has been lifted, I'll leave this open for @Kafe to respond to. Then I'll lock and mark as resolved.

10. Kafe

Kafe Kafe/ Bastion
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Hello there.
    I guess while I was trapped in the office, Blackquill once again did my job for me and resolved the issue at hand.
    Glad to see you are still interested in sticking around and preparing to read over the server rules.

On my part, yes, not contacting you via my server administration whitelist was not really the most helpful in inspiring the level of trust to ask if you murdered someone. I was caught off guard by your responses to my attempts to message you and gave you a ban length longer than I'd typically give, My apologies.

Since you've already spent a full day banned from this engagement, and have cleared things up via the forums, I have no objections to your last two days being wiped from the ban.

Not much else I can say besides that I will commit to improve, and hope you enjoy the time you spend here going forwards.
    - Kafe

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice