Serious Lancer 2 City 8 edit (City 8: Definitive Edition)

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
Hello!

I don't post very often, but I wanted to gather feedback from as many sources as possible, so here I am. I run my own HL2RP server, and I have made my own edit of City 8 for it. There is a full list of changes on the workshop page here, but you can get a basic idea from the screenshots. I tried to combine the best parts of various other City 8 edits as well as my own takes on it to create what I think is a fairly decent take on this classic map.

Here is the most recent major update, adding several new areas and many improvements to existing ones:

Here are a few images for those who are too lazy to check the page (it's also a little outdated at the time of posting this, I'll update it soon):
tRQ304s.png

j0apQuo.png

fsuXZgk.png

SWVuaZn.png

9FoXprf.png

dTJHiyJ.png

09OyxqV.png

7Boe3jR.png

gUJyERB.png

eaLKoSV.png

cfQz8KE.png

Tp9klFl.png

e2C8sEx.png

2zuoSSo.png

GP8qVx7.png

PhTaayF.png

2Qno8eK.png
ucIXatx.png

ynsVnca.png

UCgArGO.png

NS6Q3we.png

vtYj7g5.png

Wn5aG2d.png

I'm open to all sorts of feedback as well as suggestions to improve the map further! Thank you all in advance.

rob

Nebulae
Really like it, how does the train spawning system work? Do people spawn in the train while it's moving or do they just spawn standing outside?

Reactions: List

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
Really like it, how does the train spawning system work? Do people spawn in the train while it's moving or do they just spawn standing outside?
So there are two trains, a fake and a real one. When they first create a character, they spawn in the fake train, then a few seconds later they are teleported to the real train (this is relative to their position on the fake train, making the teleport almost seamless) which moves them to the subway station at which point they can depart, and the train leaves on its own. Two trains were needed so one of them can act as a 'queue' in case multiple people created a character at the same time.
That being said, this entire system is handled in-code on my server; not the map itself.

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
I'll edit this post later but straight away I wanted to comment that you chose the correct neon colours for image two, they really add a lot of atmosphere. I'm not the biggest fan of city 8 but I'm a fan of the color sprawl so far
i'll check it out in singleplayer later

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I appreciate you've combined some of the other City 8 edits TnB did into this one.

This version of C8 in particular (the base map that is) is probably one of the best and most edited for a reason and I think your edit has done a fantastic job of breathing new life into what was honestly otherwise getting incredibly stale.

I also appreciate you haven't tried to reinvent the wheel with this edit, and instead just added more of what the base map probably needed.

Last edited:

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
I also appreciate you haven't tried to reinvent the wheel with this edit, and instead just added more of what the base map probably needed.
verticality was something experimented with in the original maps, this doesn't look like it's done much on that front

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
verticality was something experimented with in the original maps, this doesn't look like it's done much on that front
I love verticality in maps, so with my edit, I tried to add some wherever possible. I added a new bridge connecting RB1 & RB2 (inspired by the neb edit of c8), and another similar bridge on the other road leading to the train station. I also added rooftop access to some buildings and a few smaller things wherever possible, but ultimately the layout of the map didn't make it very easy to come up with more things.

YvCEHsG.png

1vBlPxO.png

swlIAwr.png

0NRbv0w.png

XLeEzlA.png

gUulSzo.png

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
ultimately the layout of the map didn't make it very easy to come up with more things
why not use pipe props for branching rooftops, etc? more subtle methods than endless bridge expansion.

city 8_2 did this for some areas, I know c8 isn't great when it comes to rooftops due to the skybox penning stuff in but still.

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
why not use pipe props for branching rooftops, etc? more subtle methods than endless bridge expansion.

city 8_2 did this for some areas, I know c8 isn't great when it comes to rooftops due to the skybox penning stuff in but still.
Hmm, I considered it, also the little 'lips' that some buildings had in C8 2 that allowed you to almost completely walk around them, but I couldn't find a good place to put them. Then again, I'm not the most creative person, so that's likely why. I'll keep it mind and see if I can put those somewhere in future edits.

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
What is Lancer aiming to be? An alternative to Impulse? Or an alternative to Nebulous/Willards?
It's not aiming to be an alternative to anything. We're just trying to create a fun CityRP server for people to enjoy. It's currently whitelisted and only opens on Friday through Monday. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say something like Willard, but without such a big focus on gameplay and instead more focus on roleplay and stricter quality control.

Generally Fruity

Proton
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

Ledges and parkour spots too

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
Minor update, a few small additions/changes here and there:

oH9IRZd.png

Split up the Clinic examination room into two separate rooms instead of one large one

B3T982W.png

Added a backdoor to one of the new stores - more accessibility

8WBQkem.png

Added a second ladder to this area to improve movement and give people more options in navigating around there

XzdKJ0w.png

aiDlMf7.png

Added some more windows to the two apartments here, following the theme with the new RB4 window style​

I'm still looking for feedback and improving the map wherever I can, thank you all for the support!

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
I'm back! Despite Source's best efforts, I managed to push another update through blood, sweat, and tears. God, I hate this fucking engine with a burning passion.

Workshop addon will probably be updated tomorrow. As always, feedback is welcome!

Aspect™

Proton
Nebulae
Another update is out:

I cannot keep myself from updating this stupid 11-year-old map. This is a cry for help.
Feedback is welcome as always.