Suggestion Local Government - Discussion

Discussion in 'WW3RP: Stasiland' started by Mesa, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Mesa

Mesa Molecule

Nebulae:
    Myself and a few others have been toying with the idea of creating a local government to act as a central power for civilians. Unlike the last two 'governments' - this one will be comprised of multiple players, both active and dedicated, and is able to take a more direct approach to regular civilian life, as Soviets are no longer wholly dependant on the civilian/insurgent scene with the introduction of NATO.

Currently, as I'm sure many will agree, civilian mains lack direction. @Sneaky makes an interesting analysis with the whole 'initiator' mentality, and currently there are too many people in all factions who wait for roleplay to happen, rather than creating it. A local government would focus on the following - but be aware these are merely suggestions for discussion, rather than anything currently set in stone:

• Forced employment for all civilians, whether they be shoehorned into a player-controlled business - such as bars/vehicle dealerships, or state-sanctioned ones - taxi's, for example.
    • State-run public services, with the nationalisation of things like the fire department being propped up by the government with subsidiaries and general support. This would also fall in line with the mandatory employment aspect, where some civilians may be injected into the fire department as employees. This would also likely follow with an increase in vehicles/equipment, dependant on circumstances. In addition, state-run hospitals would also crop up, likely amalgamating with the red cross to form official medical care.
    • State-run farms, with civilians being appointed to manage/harvest crops and meet certain quotes.
    • Government delegates responsible for handling different tasks - e.g someone responsible for handling businesses, and subsequent permits/subsidiaries, one responsible for civilian employment, etc.
    • Potential housing system, depending on how things go.

Again, these are points of discussion rather than guarantees. A local government would be comprised of multiple people rather than a singular mayor, and should be the overarching authority outside the Soviet base - although they are still the ultimate authority in Germany as a whole. For now... :^)

Anyway, discuss what you'd like to see or elaborate on the points above. If you're interested in being part of the government, shoot me a message on steam and we'll go from there. If the community accepts this there'll be the relevant events to get the ball rolling. We can't go ahead with this unless we know people want it, so let us know what you think, even if it's just a plain yes/no.

• nebulous nebulous x 13
  2. Sneaky

Sneaky The one and only.

Nebulae:
    Caution should be used with quotas and forced employment. You need just enough to incentivize people to get on and actually work & roleplay, but if you make the quotas so high that people actually need to be on for several hours to fulfill them everyday, they will much rather simply do something else. Of course, I don't have any clue for what the "magical number" for quotas are, I'd simply like to give that out as a warning.

Otherwise, there's only so much you can discuss in theory so I'd say just see how it works in practice to be honest.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Leadcolt

Leadcolt One true Morty

Nebulae:
    Perhaps it should be something akin to HL2RP. Sure it might not be 100% historically accurate but at the end of the day this is a game and gamer boys/girls are spending their time to come to have fun and whatever. I'm not saying we should completely degrade the historical aspect but we need to be able to leverage some of what we have against gameplay features if everything was 100% accurate then I doubt we'd have a lot of people alive at the end of the day due to the way some people act IC. What I meant is...

The more someone works the more opportunities they given and rewards they can get, we need something that will hook their attention so to speak and make them work for the greater good of the communist state.

So congratulations you've attended your third work shift and in an orderly fashion each time. For this, you'll get an increased pay packet or more food rations. And perhaps more social credit or something. (I don't actually know about how a fucking communist government would operate so give me a break you commiebos)

The point is whether it's historically accurate or not this is a game and we need to give the player an incentive to ultimately come and do these work shifts. Like what on hl2rp they do work shifts to get ration coupons so they can get more food, resources, and money correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's it, then they use what they've acquired to either work their way towards becoming a rebel, loyalist or just making themselves better off as they are. And the former obviously works because the HL2RP server does exceptionally well in terms of player count as it is.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  4. Danny

Danny Visual Powerhouse
    Media Developer WW3 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    CiviRp aspects are cool but I don't think they should be entirely independent to the town. It would make (a teeny tiny insy wincy) more sense if it was a transferable workforce under control of the Warsaw Forces and therefore they could travel with them around Europe (or Germany) if we decide to change maps every so often

Y'know, this ain't such a bad idea. Make it so they're part of some kind of industrial force that works for the Warsaw Pact / Stasi and that this is explained when they spawn. Thing is you'll need people to actually sort out labour shifts and such which could take a few people off the scoreboard for civs. Also gives an excuse or reason as to why the Civs are constantly travelling with a military force too perhaps

Cool idea, but to save it from getting too full up with a million roles it would probably be better if any kind of services were just boiled down to just two cores like Emergency Services (I.e. Fire Brigade and any Policing Forces such as the SAF / Warsaw). And then a Medical Service which while being an independent thing is also controlled or under supervision of any SAF medics who could dispense them or use them in their own medbay perhaps idk

Will have to make sure this is in the 'Warsaw Sector' or something where there's still control over the people on it and it isn't just nabbed by anyone

There should never be too many people for these roles, like it can get mega complicated and take too many people away (Imagine if Engineering Detachments had like 4-5 different subsections or something as example). Like it's better to generalise these things. So there could be delegates or whatever for just; Businesses (Covers local shops and employment), Services (Medical, Fire Brigade or whatever), Farming, and Labour/Workshifts or something.

I am still kind of thinking that making Civs roles too complicated at this time will do more harm than good by taking Civs off the scoreboard in a sense but I'm still keen to give some feedback

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  5. Mesa

Mesa Molecule

Nebulae:
    The main government offices would be located in the town/urban areas of any future maps, but they'd still work on the map as a whole bar NATO areas. I think it'd be interesting to leave it down to the players and see whether or not they neglect the more rural areas and subsequently start losing public support from those civilians(leading to NATO sympathies), but I think a lot of the rural area will be seized for use as farmland, outposts, or living space. As for the idea of a workforce, I had the idea of a making the whole civilian population an on-call workforce for building COP's/repairing destroyed areas, especially for the Warsaw Pact. I think it's a must-have

yea, that's the plan. Rather than have a 'council' for every department it's just going to be one representative that's responsible for it as a whole. For 'greater' decisions, or ones that fall out of their independent jurisdiction, they can congregate and decide/vote on them. They should all be part of a governing body that cooperate and work together in the best interests of the state.

On lapadite it's largely envisioned as requisitioning a lot of the rural farmland outside the town/Soviet base. If they want to prevent it from being nabbed, they'll need to allocate the appropriate resources(fortifications?) or liaise with Stasi/WP forces to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. That's just in theory though, it could play out a lot differently in practicality. I also liked the idea that the GDR relief packages could be crafted with an empty box + food/water, that way food from the farms can be utilised and never wasted. When crafted it'd go to the Stasi/Soviet stockpile, possibly replacing the ration vendor and making WP forces wholly dependant on civilian farms, thus having the incentive to defend them more. Have to see what @Roosebud thinks about that

Agree. It's only intended for one person to be representing/managing each department. I.e one for businesses, one for public services, one for labour/civilian employment etc.

Personally I don't intend for members of the government(which'll probably be around 5-6 people) to be a separate whitelist, but I'm not sure how staff intend for it to work. If it was down to me they'd just be on the normal civilian whitelist and holding the government position nonetheless.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  6. Northgate

Northgate Firetruck
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    This is a very, very good idea.

In real life, you go search and find a job. But that's harder in Stasiland, as businesses are limited for a playerbase. Not including differences in time and others.

Allowing Civilians to get told to work in specific areas permanently or for a specific amount of time is a good way to keep people busy and get a non-trade based economy going. It'll also generate roleplay and form relations between characters which also is very important.

Honestly, CivilianRP should be encouraged far more. Stasiland, in my personal opinion wasn't all about war but living in an area torn by conflict - the Staatsicherheit should be a scary, almost invisible entity. This can actually be achieved with this, a governement can load off many duties from what the previously responsible people did.

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. Mesa

Mesa Molecule

Nebulae:
    Seeing as the idea of mandatory employment is going down well, and player-owned businesses aren't going to have enough vacancies to fit every member of the civil populace in, what agencies/services do you think the government should run that we don't already have? Things like petrol stations, taxis, etc.

8. Cuttsy

Cuttsy Proton

Nebulae:
    I definitely think a local government would have/could have functioned better in the previous iteration, whereby the NVA or some form of policing body was to support the administration. With Stasi being at it's smallest/least active, I doubt that they could fulfill the role as a policing body, either, but I do think that some form of policing is required other than the Soviets to help carry out some of the plans in this thread. Maybe this will come if/when the player count is much greater.

As others have said, as long as forced employment is incentivised for people to actually come on and take part, then I think it could be a great opportunity for CivRP. As long as the business/service is reasonable and practical (and we have the players for them), it should be considered to be implemented.

My biggest concern with the farming suggestion is that with the location of most farms, more often than not they will result in a S2K opportunity, where NATO/Insurgents ambush the overseeing Warsaw Pact personnel. This has proven to be the case for most Soviet/Civilian collaborating events but it's difficult to prevent it from happening.

I think it is worth noting that this change won't bolster the server population alone, but it is the changes that can be brought from introducing the council that has the greatest chance of improving CivRP.

Me and @Northgate have spoken about setting up a Police service which would have a similar structure to the fire department, a civilian service but with extensive monitoring by Stasi intelligence. I think they would best function as a service, as opposed to a paramilitary, but it's something for people to debate about, either way.

Also, I'd say there definitely needs to be a housing/property allocation system. The way businesses and services assumed their current buildings was pretty ugly and just a smash and grab for the best ones, leaving people with unsuitable buildings for their organisations. I doubt it would be too difficult to distribute property ICly.

Apart from that, a local government is much needed and I'm looking forward/hoping it will be implemented as it has a lot of potential to add depth to a lacking, but fundamental, part of the server.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice