HL2RP make it so when you fire your gun you are locked out of third person until you put your gun away

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Suggestion: make it so when you fire your gun you are locked out of third person until you put your gun away
Why it would be worth adding: Just did a bunch of s2k testing. some with TP on, and some with it off, I've been a long time advocate for third person, but removing it from combat will cut down on hour long camping sessions waiting for someone to peek their head
Necessary content: devwork

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
but deathwolf we'll miss out on such riveting gameplay as:
A83GOLA.png

Flippy

stoner rp
Nebulae
I know i know I also love this.
It's funny how me and @Erid were talking about this very thing when setting up an event.

It would make S2K so much more fun given you don't spend 20 mins in third person playing who peeks first rather, you'd have to peek to pick a target to shoot.

It's at a point where if you don't do this during s2k, you're at a disadvantage given others do. And starting at a wall as shown by @Trains is ridiculous; even more so when you have to do it for hours.

Reactions: List

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
make it so that taking your gun into your hands forces first-person, not raising it.
or ignore the 'not raising it' part and make it when you raise it
before anyone mentions vorts i think not wearing armour and only having 150hp is enough of a balancing factor to ignore them in this as it keeps them as-is, powerful at a distance but terrible in closer ranges. also u can mess up the peek and stuff and hit the wall instead of your target
or dont and either ask people to not use third-person in s2k on the vort whitelist if above can't be easily programmed in (we ready the vortbeam instantly as rob said on the rebel discord)

Deleted member 4609

Doomboy / Femguy
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Suggestion: make it so when you fire your gun you are locked out of third person until you put your gun away
I agree that third person has no place in S2K given the problems it causes, but there are some flaws with the suggestion itself and how you wanna go about it, especially since you can still sit there and hold corners and chokepoints from third person if its only after you shoot you're locked out.

This might even encourage more third person camping and stalemates, if you're forced into first person the moment you fire your gun, you'll be way more careful about pulling the trigger in the first place, making you take longer to engage until way more factors play in your favour, including having more people on your side (waiting out more NLRs).

If you round a corner from out of vision with your gun raised at an unaware target you've spotted from TP you're not exactly needing it anymore after that anyway lol, so we should agree on some alternate criteria or ideas to code in if we wanna tackle the problem.

I'm personally an advocate for TP being turned off for Citizens, Vorts, CPs and OTA (This leaves whitelists like Synths, Scanners, Xenians etc that /need/ thirdperson to function) after the upcoming mapchange, and the subsequent week break between, and experiment with that system for a while for later review.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Definitely on the side of giving it a try, even if it sucks, why not give it a try? We did for run and gun

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Definitely on the side of giving it a try, even if it sucks, why not give it a try? We did for run and gun
maybe make it so when ur gun is raised u cant go third person?
or if you've fired there's a timer

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'm personally an advocate for TP being turned off for Citizens, Vorts, CPs and OTA (This leaves whitelists like Synths, Scanners, Xenians etc that /need/ thirdperson to function) after the upcoming mapchange, and the subsequent week break between, and experiment with that system for a while for later review.
i fucking hate roleplaying in first person and I might genuinely consider leaving if its turned off entirely, I exclusively play in thirdperson but after s2king in FP i agree its far superior for combat.

but for RP fuck that I want to see my character.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
maybe make it so when ur gun is raised u cant go third person?
or if you've fired there's a timer
I remember seeing a video where people would not render if your character did not have line of sight, which would allow for people to role play as such but make it pretty ass in s2k without having to add awkward timers or logs

I recreated it and it worked pretty well, had some awkward pop in though at times

Didn’t test edge cases like windows and shit though, but it seems possible to remedy

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I'd lock you into first person the second you swap to a gun tbh?

Yeah it won't eliminate corner peeking entirely but people will be WAY more hesitant to swap away from their gun that takes time to raise, too, if they peek and see someone is rushing.

Also yeah, nah, keep TP for people as a whole imo. Like, don't turn it off entirely.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Agreed with you, I just don't have anything to suggest about how to go about it
Timer from when you FIRST shoot, until you haven't shot for 10 minutes

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Personally if this is something we do I don't want to have to have a bunch of commands /checks2k /checknlr /checkbreathing

Have a little box in the topright of the screen with a countdown, non intrusive that allows me to keep an eye on the FP to TP timer.

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Personally if this is something we do I don't want to have to have a bunch of commands /checks2k /checknlr /checkbreathing

Have a little box in the topright of the screen with a countdown, non intrusive that allows me to keep an eye on the FP to TP timer.

Was basically about the post the same, we’re already on a bit of an excess of timers, more won’t help

OneClassyBanana

kilroy was here
Nebulae
Having it lock-out on weapon raise (and maybe for a second or two after lowering?) seems like a good middle ground, since it's something we already keep track of and it circumvents the issue of people 3peeking a corner for as long as they like until they start shooting.

Raising and lowering your weapon already takes a decent bit of time relative to how quick these engagements can go, so there's not much incentive to take that risk, but applying the lock-out for even just a second or two after lowering it further discourages trying to spam/game your way into it mid-fight.

No real need for timers, either. Just make it part of the mechanic.

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
Rather not have another timer. Just flat out force to first person if you /toggleraise.

It won't stop people from sitting in vc/using radio to co-ordinate with each other, but I see that as a net positive since it's getting people to work together.

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
The best way for this to work, is INSTEAD OF A TIMER, Just make it a command that an admin can enable/disable during conflict, similar to the Char Switching command admins have.