Mapping Help and questions thread

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Good day everyone,

In order to help save some time for the mappers on Nebulous, if you are getting into mapping in source and have any questions or issues during your projects, post them to this thread instead to get the assistance you may need.
This should help to limit the number of private messages some of us receive for common questions and issues.

Q: What do I use to start creating a map?
A:
To get started, you will need the hammer editor, this is found in the bin subfolder of the game you are creating a map with, if you are using Gmod however, it is suggested you instead download the Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer from the steam tools section, which is found in your library. (the hammer editor in the sdk base is also in it's respective bin folder)

Q: I keep getting told to read my compile logs, but I don't know what to look for or what it means
A:
Copy and paste your compile log from hammer into this webpage and press 'check log', this website will help give you a list of common issues in your map that you need to resolve - https://www.interlopers.net/errors/?page=errors&params=

Q: I want to edit an existing map, how do I do this? (Community maps)
A:
If you want to edit a community map, go to the workshop page for that map and see if the creator has provided a download link for the editable file, if this is not present you can ask the creator if it is available (do this in the workshop page comments not directly to the creator's profile) - If the map is not available to edit, then you should not attempt to use workarounds to make custom edits (respect the creator's decision to keep it private)

Q: I want to edit an existing map, how do I do this? (Official maps)
A:
You can often find these available through unofficial means (3KliksPhillip has provided editable versions of all official CSGO maps), you could also use a de-compiler to revert the bsp into a vmf, however this often leaves much of the map broken, so it is not suggested.

Issue: A model I placed into my map is not appearing in game!
Cause:
This is happening likely because the model you picked is not compatible with your selected prop_entity. - Most models will work with prop_static, but some require to be either prop_physics or prop_dynamic and will outright not appear in-game if they do not have the correct entity for it
Solution: Find the issue models and open their properties, for smaller objects you would pick up and throw around, set these to prop_physics, and for larger, non-physics objects, utilize prop_dynamic.

Issue: Everything is fullbright
Cause:
There are two possible reasons for this, either you forgot to add any lighting into your map, or your map has leaked.
Solution: If you forgot to add any lights, add a basic light entity now, if you are trying to make a completely dark environment, place the light into a room the player cannot see or access, it will disable the fullbright either way, as long as a light is present.
If your map leaked, select the 'map' option on the top menu, and select 'load pointfile', press yes to the popup and it will show you a red line that connects the nearest entity to a hole in the world that leads into the void (the black background in hammer) patch up this opening and any others your find, if you still get fullbright afterwards, keep loading the pointfile and hammer will show you more places where your map has leaked.

Mapping resources:
Template for continuously spawning Antlions

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Added something onto the thread for once.
I've included a mapping resource you can copy paste in your own projects where appropriate,
In this case it is the scripting setup needed for Antlion sandtraps as seen in the coast sections of HL2

To fill the map with spots the antlions can emerge from, duplicate the info_hint around the area of your sandtraps, each one is a new potential spawn location.

Mapping resources:

Template for continuously spawning Antlions

Nebulae
Just wanna say this fella gave me real generous advice!

Anyways I kinda wanted to talk about attention to detail in mapping: what's a good mix between density and performance?
Furthermore, how about optimization?

CloudBucket

Proton
Nebulae
Just wanna say this fella gave me real generous advice!

Anyways I kinda wanted to talk about attention to detail in mapping: what's a good mix between density and performance?
Furthermore, how about optimization?
You can find many good offical guides here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Level_Design_FAQ

I can give a little opinion on it however.

Detail is important depending one what you're going for. CSGO competitive maps can have amazing detail- but if they do not perform right they will not be accepted in. Garry's Mod is iffy, however detail is cool depending on what you're going for. Optomization is done through func_details, skip and hint layers or whatever they calles, and general: how much is in the map?

Nebulae
You can find many good offical guides here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Level_Design_FAQ

I can give a little opinion on it however.

Detail is important depending one what you're going for. CSGO competitive maps can have amazing detail- but if they do not perform right they will not be accepted in. Garry's Mod is iffy, however detail is cool depending on what you're going for. Optomization is done through func_details, skip and hint layers or whatever they calles, and general: how much is in the map?

Thanks, man.

What additions to a map are normally the most expensive on the engine? Besides lighting, I mean.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
Thanks, man.

What additions to a map are normally the most expensive on the engine? Besides lighting, I mean.
dynamic props are a big one.
also physics in multiplayer maps. if you want physics objects in your map, make sure to use the multiplayer version of that entity.