Serious Max and Keira’s law passed - "Opt out from organ donation"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by STUCK IN A CAKE, Mar 17, 2019.

1. STUCK IN A CAKE

STUCK IN A CAKE Molecule

Nebulae:
    As basically the title says - in April 2020, the Max and Keira's Law will be in full effect, which put simply and I quote "All adults in England will be considered as potential organ donors when they die unless they had recorded a decision not to donate or are in one of the excluded groups. These excluded groups include people who have been ordinarily resident in England for less than 12 months, under 18s and people who lack the capacity to understand the change."

I'm not much of a religious person - however, I don't find it particularly nice to have my own body desecrated after death unless I have to go to the government or health service to physically say "I don't want to be harvested". Especially with the fact that most of these organ harvesting will take place while you are not exactly clinical dead but rather so 'Brain-Dead'. I just don't like the thought of it. I don't mind donating like a single kidney or something.

What do you think about being automatically assumed an organ donor until you physically request to opt out?

2. '77 East

'77 East `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    Just opt-out if you truly disagree with it.

Here, you probably could do such a thing online, not so sure about there but it's better to have opt-out than opt-in as much more lives will be saved that way, especially for those who have been on 'the list' for months - if not years. If I'm killed, I'd rather my parts helped others than just rotted in a casket.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Powley

Powley Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    I think I’ll be opting out, not that I’m against this idea it’s just I don’t want my organs taken from me without my permission or expressed permission by loved ones

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Postal

Postal Electron

Nebulae:
    wouldn't matter when you're dead

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stalker

Stalker the very best rp man on planet earth
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    probably going to opt out, just not really ok with the thought of it happening after i'm gone

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. MaXenzie

MaXenzie Sexually attracted to robots
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
    this has been a thing in wales for a while iirc

i didnt opt out

7. Bandit

Bandit Electron

Nebulae:
    i wouldnt know about it once im dead so i dont really have much of a problem but it is a disturbing thought of someone going through my guts, but atleast it could save someone else

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fake gurrazor

Nebulae:
    if it means some kid can live a better life sure

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. RaphaelDeFusco

Nebulae:
    When you die, you typically get cremated or burried in the ground. Your body either gets turned to ash or get eaten by insects until there is only a skeleton remaining. I would say that in general you shouldn't disturb corpses out of respect for the wishes of the dead and their loved ones, however if said organs can help save lives, isn't it the best act of kindness to leave your bodily remains to be used for the good of mankind? You can literally grant a longer life to someone that would otherwise soon be in the grave like yourself, so ultimately I think it is a good law since you do actually get the choice to opt out but generally you help others when you pass away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. camping carl

camping carl Narrative/Lore Manager

Nebulae:
    hot take but it's funny to see so many people so bothered by it when in reality death itself is already a lot more awkward than you think

you'll probably shit yourself when your heart stops and your body will bloat up with gasses within a month of your passing, regardless of whether it was treated to look prettier or not.

it's a lot better to possibly save another person's life well after your passing rather than just take the stuff with yourself because you find the idea of your body being fiddled with awkward.

maggots will be eating at your rotting eyeballs for a good few months or even years before you become a beautiful skeleton so i really don't get the sentiment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. RaphaelDeFusco

Nebulae:
    It does actually raise an interesting question, should you be allowed to recieve organs from others if you ain't willing to give yours yourself? As in organs only being given to those who contribute down the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kafe

Kafe *Raises sign*
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    even if people opt out, it'd feel wrong to deny people potentially life saving treatments because of it in my opinion, at least the opt out system means it will be more accessible anyway.

13. '77 East

'77 East `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    I believe a country has adopted a system where if you opt-out of a similar program like this, you get put at the back of the organ recipient que if you are in need of one.

Can't remember which country it is, though.

14. sambo

sambo biased shitlord

Nebulae:
    i wouldn't opt out i think

being on a waiting list for an organ transplant is pretty tedious as is, so as long as my organs are going towards improving/saving somebody else's life, i say go for it

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ConstantDisplay

ConstantDisplay ʕ̜̣̖o͇̺̰̦͚̘ᴥ̠͔͉̰o̥͓͙̲̩ ʔ͈͉̰͈̞̯

Nebulae:
    muh organs!1

step in the right direction though, i don't know why it isn't like this anyways
    anyone who genuinely gives a fuck about their organs being used can opt out if they really want, and all the lazy fucks who would have previously not opted in with the old system will just donate by default
    sounds fair imo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Mesa

Mesa Atom

Nebulae:
    its called organ donation for a reason

however i dont care, ill be dead. rather my organs go to a dying person than a coffin or pile of ashes

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Goatson

Goatson Guardian

Nebulae:
    yeh i think this is a great thing ngl

but if i lived over there id probably still opt out for personal reasons

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. rob

rob Atom

Nebulae:
    this is already a thing in Northern Ireland, i opted in

19. cns

cns The Winner

Nebulae:
    take my organs if you want who cares im dead

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Powley

Powley Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    You should still have a right to what you do with your body though?

Opt out is fine, I have no problems with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice