Maximum theoretical ban length?

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
#Edit:
An article has been written on the subject.

Original post:
On the assumption that this has never happened before, what would be the longest Gmod server ban length in minutes (that isn't permanent)?

I've come across a claim that a player was banned for 35 million minutes (a bit harsh, considering it was apparently for an accidental kill) and while writing about Gmod culture I'm wondering if it would even be possible.

Has anyone seen a long ban like that before?

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
On the assumption that this has never happened before, what would be the longest Gmod server ban length in minutes (that isn't permanent)?

I've come across a claim that a player was banned for 35 million minutes (a bit harsh, considering it was apparently for an accidental kill) and while writing about Gmod culture I'm wondering if it would even be possible.

different computer data types have different maximum values. a 32-bit signed integer (i.e a whole number that can be positive or negative) has a maximum possible value of 2,147,483,647 because that's the highest number you can represent with 32 bits as far as modern computer architecture goes.

presumably, the maximum theoretical ban length is the highest possible value of whatever data type is used to represent the ban time.

Roosebud

Molecule
Nebulae
different computer data types have different maximum values. a 32-bit signed integer (i.e a whole number that can be positive or negative) has a maximum possible value of 2,147,483,647 because that's the highest number you can represent with 32 bits as far as modern computer architecture goes.

presumably, the maximum theoretical ban length is the highest possible value of whatever data type is used to represent the ban time.

haha funny numbers, I just type "0" whenever I ban someone

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
TnB also used to use permabans very frequently as a way to get people to come onto the forums to explain themselves and what they did, with the rationale being that if they were genuine they'd come appeal it and it could be talked about.

They've stopped doing that in the past year or two though.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Depends on the server defined chat character limit and how many 9s you want to fit on the day field

sots

community bear
Nebulae

@Blue Wolf banned a guy for like 26 years for calling me the n word

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
When will @Hudson theoratically run out of things to archive?
The answer: Never.

sots

community bear
Nebulae
where do u even write all this stuff down hudson, is it all on like a steam guide or am i gonna google "hl2rp" in like ten years and find a crazy rabbithole of various archives that u made on some website idk

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
where do u even write all this stuff down hudson, is it all on like a steam guide or am i gonna google "hl2rp" in like ten years and find a crazy rabbithole of various archives that u made on some website idk
I don't like linking it all the time because I feel like I'm self-advertising, not that I get any money out of it. The entire thing is on my hard drives, and publicly available in the discussions section of the Steam group:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/gca1/discussions

Deleted member 442

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
TnB also used to use permabans very frequently as a way to get people to come onto the forums to explain themselves and what they did, with the rationale being that if they were genuine they'd come appeal it and it could be talked about.

I unironically think this would be a good system for GTA RP when it finally comes out. Especially since I think we're going the way of a WL at one point or another.