Serious Mike Pompeo decries multiculturialism as 'not who America is'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by OneClassyBanana, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    i agree with you, but i find it increasingly hard to coexist with homophobes and racists. tolerating such obstinate statements as "i disagree with the lgbt lifestyle" requires strength that i don't possess.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Jaggles Festivo

Jaggles Festivo PK Deputy, Certified Fun Killer
    Moderator HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I have right wing friends. They're just, not /that kind/ of right wing. Like, sadly ignorance has been promoted on both sides of the spectrum, and while for the left wing it means they say mystical bullcrap that sounds stupid, on the right wing of things it's devolved into blaming other races and minorities for everything bad that happens, and in turn, being racist and homophobic.

I don't think all right wingers are racist and homophobic, I just think a lot of shit has been spread and many people have been driven into believing the LGBT+ community and the "non-whites" have a secret organization to genocide white people or something.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mogelix

Mogelix Electron

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    right? like you can't complain about division in america and then, in the same breath, call homosexuals "degenerate" or go spouting off about racial crime statistics.

i'm not saying that's what you did, larry, but many others do and it sends mixed signals.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Angel

Angel she/her/they nonbinary transfem

Nebulae:
    I do wonder what he means by multiculturalism... if he means tha there should be only one culture, he is dumb - if what he means by multiculturalism is the very obscure and particular vein of people that think having a common identity besides their cultural background (in this case, regardless if youre asian, mexican or whatever else, youre all American at the bottom) is useless and stupid, then I guess he has a point?

Besides the multiculturalism take, actually true tho

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Poopship McGee

Poopship McGee Old Stock Canadian | Psalm 14:1
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
  7. Larry Gibbons

Larry Gibbons Proton

Nebulae:
    I have a few gay friends, and I am a conservative, traditional, extremely Catholic man who works in law enforcement. My friends know I don't agree with their lifestyle, but I still love them as my friends. I am able to separate my own thoughts from my friendship with them. What I cannot stand for is hatred and division because of differing opinions. Two of my gay friends are extremely conservative, and both Christian as well. Why does my relationship with them work? Because I choose to love them for what we have in common and our friendship through our field of work and faith.

I will preach my faith and values till I die, but I will never impose my religion on another person. I can lead a horse to the river, but I cannot make him drink. I just want to be able to have an open dialogue with people of differing opinions and still maintain a friendship with them, and although sometimes, especially in these times, it can prove to be more difficult, it is necessary to live a fruitful life.

No matter how difficult it may seem to reason with some people, especially about generic good human values like love when it comes to disrespecting someone for their sexual orientation or race, you have the freedom to tell them off just as they have the freedom to remain a bigot and a fool. With that, if you live in America, you will coexist with them whether you like it or not, and unfortunately, that will never change. Somethings just never change, ever, and that's the way the world works unfortunately. You just have to remember to be that light, be the love. Be firm, yet kind. Be strong, and caring. But most of all, be an American.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Postal

Postal Atom

Nebulae:
    what a fucking snowflake

9. GhostKripp

GhostKripp ... .... . .-.. - . .-. ..-. .-. --- --.
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    le epic reddit
    1x gold award

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. Mogelix

Mogelix Electron

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GhostKripp

HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    censoring and dismissing homophobes & racists only create more of them :^)
    debate them, show them why they're wrong. it might feel useless but you might stop someone from becoming one.

so no matter how much you hate them, or believe they're wrong. u should never remove them from any conversation.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. constantdisplay

constantdisplay Molecule

Nebulae:
    tolerating homophobes and racists nine times out of ten just leads to more abuse lol

would rather not

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Trains

Trains ms paint artist extraordinaire
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    i mean when they refuse to listen to any reason or debate, or they’re so far gone it’s pointless, i don’t see anything wrong with shutting them up because no one needs to hear that shit. and that’s the majority of the time ngl

but ngl (kinda unrelated) i don’t see how some people online think losing people their jobs and ruining their lives is gonna make them less racist lmfao even i can see it’d just re-enforce it, surely

it’s good they ain’t in that position but it’s not helping

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Mogelix

Mogelix Electron

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]
    Platforming fascists, homophobes and racists perpetuates their beliefs, and the best example of this is in America.
    On the other hand, a great example of the effects of de-platforming, also in America: The US gov aggressively deplatformed leftists and communists, and now they are barely noticeable in the American political sphere.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. GhostKripp

HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    didn't say tolerate them, simply suggested you at least try to prove them wrong before dismissing them.

when you remove someone from the discussion for their opinion they will seek out other means, this leads to 'alt' platforms where people of the same mindset congregate and radicalize themselves and indoctrinate other people.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Mogelix

Mogelix Electron

Nebulae:
    The simple act of engaging with these egregious beliefs is tolerating and legitimizing them.
    America wouldn't have a prevalent far-right if they had cracked down on it earlier like they cracked down on the far left.
    America didn't do so however, because the far right largely protected the interests of capital against communists.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. GhostKripp

HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    I'd rather try to conversate and try to change someone to a better human than instantly dismissing them and letting them be radicalized.
    By not having a conversation, to begin with, you inevitably lose one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    thing is, you're not really working off of the same rulebook as a lot of ideologues here, politics have become largely post-truth in that regard, there is no proving emotions wrong, if you really wanna de-radicalise someone the best way to do that is usually through genuine human connection with folk they might otherwise be prejudiced against, and you ain't gonna get that in political discussion

there's only so many times you can try and have that conversation before folk give up

you're not wrong, a lot of folk don't really seem to acknowledge the history the united states had with communists even before the establishment of the RSFSR, but the ideology never really went away, it just ended up manifesting as either foreign sponsored domestic terror cells, labor union movements and tamer social democratic rhetoric instead, we're just now seeing communism return as a mainstream talking point (albeit, usually negatively) for a variety of reasons

a similar thing would probably happen on the flip-side imho, you can't really get rid of ideology, and you certainly can't prevent it from popularising solely through deplatforming, things need to be tackled at the very core, otherwise you've slapped a band-aid on an arterial bleed

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mogelix

Mogelix Electron

Nebulae:
    no we're not lmao
    actually let me rephrase
    wdym by a mainstream negative talking point

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Mute

Mute Rictal-Approved
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    coming from a dude that lives in a pretty socially conservative country this is not how it works at all lmao

not gonna talk about the racism part because it’s not really a thing here (we’re all about that nationalism around the balkans) but when the topic of gay people comes up 99/100 times the person is gonna be homophobic

i’m not gonna waste my breath debating someone that ‘doesn’t agree with my lifestyle’ that I have no choice in, or with one that wants me beat up/put in a mental institution or worse that wants to kill me for some reason

there is no point in reasoning with them and im not gonna risk getting jumped in an alley for it cause the only form of debate they are capable of is kicking your shit in and then bragging about beating up a ‘faggot’

wish i could but they never shut the fuck up about it

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice