Serious Monitor got raped by someone unkown and wont talk to me anymore

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
So earlier windows 10s most recent update causes my computer to randomly shut down as if i went and clicked shut down in the start menu at random intervals. Today it happens once, so I say fuck it and go take a nap. Once I come back to turn it on again, the PC itself works just fine, it's all lit up. Mouse is too. The monitor though isn't receiving any power and the light up buttons won't even work. The plug doesn't smell like smoke, and the plugs it's connected to work just fine.

What do I do?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae

The monitor though isn't receiving any power and the light up buttons won't even work. The plug doesn't smell like smoke, and the plugs it's connected to work just fine.
Nah seriously, how old is your monitor? When I got my PC I used my brothers old monitor as a placeholder before I got my current one and after a long while in use it started doing that randomly as well before eventually dying.

Reactions: List

Numbers

ok
Nebulae

Nah seriously, how old is your monitor? When I got my PC I used my brothers old monitor as a placeholder before I got my current one and after a long while in use it started doing that randomly as well before eventually dying.

It's not that old, it was quite expensive- around end of 2016 or early 2017. A couple days after we went back to I17 after leaving C08.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
It's not that old, it was quite expensive- around end of 2016 or early 2017. A couple days after we went back to I17 after leaving C08.
Did you order it online or buy from a shop?

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
We found it online, and went to the shop to buy it.
You considered taking it to the shop and having them take a look at it? If it was a tech shop I'm sure they'd help you out or replace it. Not sure about warranty or anything since it was a while ago but they might be able to help you fix the problem.

Although one other thing is, make sure it is your monitor - get another one or a cheap one and hook it up to your PC to make sure its the monitor thats broken, not your PC.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
You considered taking it to the shop and having them take a look at it? If it was a tech shop I'm sure they'd help you out or replace it. Not sure about warranty or anything since it was a while ago but they might be able to help you fix the problem.

Although one other thing is, make sure it is your monitor - get another one or a cheap one and hook it up to your PC to make sure its the monitor thats broken, not your PC.
It may be a driver or something, thanks to shitcovered windows. I only recently found out and it's 2AM. Will probably get it sent there to see if they can fix it. Moving the whole thing will be a big hassle though.
[doublepost=1527717773][/doublepost]
Although one other thing is, make sure it is your monitor
It is ours, we paid for it, they had to deliver everything to the shop after we paid iirc. I don't understand how it wouldn't be ours.

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
No you idiot

I mean make sure the problem is the monitor, before buying another or taking it to get it checked etc
Oh lmao

Well we don't exactly have space to store the monitor anywhere should we buy a new and cheap one. I'd say taking and hauling it over to the shop would save money and space as we live in a REALLY small house.

spalius

Nucleus
Nebulae
I might be idiotic but check the HDMI/VGA cables, to see if they are connected good.

spalius

Nucleus
Nebulae
I even sniffed the plug to make sure it didn't go kaboom . . . .
i see, that might be faulty, or you ruined your plug by uhh, pulling on it, it shouldnt actually smell of smoke, if you arent an electrician and cant fix it yourself, consider getting a new cable for it, i have fucked my laptop's power plug like that

D

Deleted member 118

My friend had trouble with his monitor after the new windows update as well. I told him to update his drivers, since he uses nvidia and nvidia spazzes out when things are a bit out of synch. Regardless of what brand you're using, I'd go look around to update your GPU's drivers and see if it works.

surra

Molecule
Nebulae
ruined your plug by uhh, pulling on it,
it hurts when I pull on it

try using your motherboards port instead of your GPUs maybe? I had the same problem when I first built my pc

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
went to the store actually- they said it was the wire.

No idea how that couldve happened because the monitor worked just fine and i left the PC shut down for several hours before coming back to see it malfunction :T

D

Deleted member 2994

went to the store actually- they said it was the wire.

No idea how that couldve happened because the monitor worked just fine and i left the PC shut down for several hours before coming back to see it malfunction :T
dog chewed wire? can happen a bit if you have pets or rats

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
Okay so I got a new cable, it worked fine for up to six-ish hours before the computer automatically shut down on me

Like this:
1*qNPagmToluMkm3bE6k3LLw.png

I turned the PC on immediately afterwards, it worked fine- that is until i turned it off and went to sleep, woke up, tried to turn it on and bam, deja vu the monitor isn't fucking working anymore.

Any ideas?

axido

whatttttttt
Nebulae
  • do a visual inspection of ur gpu, check if it's not wiggling inside the pcie slot and if the port the monitor cable is connected to is not damaged
  • try other gpu ports
  • try other monitor input ports
  • try switching pcie slot
  • try a different device with the monitor (raspberry pi or something idk)
  • why the fuck does your pc auto shut down, honestly that sounds like a problem