most terrifying moments in video games

Charlie

Atom
Nebulae
i wanna feel disturbed and terrified this night, and the only thing i can remember as of now is the radio chatter from the washington monument evac site at CoD MW2

share moments ok

Reactions: List

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Pretty much the entirety of F.E.A.R.

Dino Crisis as a kid because it was literally Resident Evil, but with Dinosaurs.

Dino Crisis 2 for this one specific save zone in the Military Base that always wigged me out even though I could "speedrun" the game in an afternoon at 7/8 years old.

Tzula

Molecule
Nebulae
The part after the train boss in dead space 2.
After that I couldnt play the game anymore.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
The dungeon level of Amnesia the dark descent
In addition, the unique enemy in the dlc that wheezed as it hunted for you

Ocean Man Was Taken

SpongeGar’s long lost relative
Nebulae
That moment in metro when you come face to face with the librarian caught me off guard:

That’s just shock horror, basically any game when you come to the realisation that something’s gone wrong, doesn’t even have to be visual that gets me. Shit like the first time I played fallout 4 and the mood changed in the opening sequence with the news reporter.

It’s the fucking music with any thing similar that gets me every time man, I swear.

Luft

a bad memer
Nebulae
2371266-1347285081403.jpg

no more words needed.

metropaun

hass ist keine emotion sondern ein zustand
Nebulae
basically anytime i went more than 50 meters in depth on subnautica

literally anything scared the shit outta me and i was constantly terrified
if i put a heartbeat monitor next to me it'd probably be around 999 bpm lol

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
basically anytime i went more than 50 meters in depth on subnautica

literally anything scared the shit outta me and i was constantly terrified
if i put a heartbeat monitor next to me it'd probably be around 999 bpm lol
My horror comes more from all of the 'being eaten alive' animations they have in bellow zero now.

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
anytime I get forced underwater in games

forced water missions are the worst

also the one and only time i played re2 remake

i never play horror games

Goatson

Guardian
Nebulae
the breaking staircase in Cry of Fear MP

theres a video out there somewhere my mate recorded where i was tricked into going up that fucking thing and subsequently squealing like a bitch in fear

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
Probably not as terrifying as those already mentioned but for me it's probably the final part of that one small Arma 2 mini-campaign, Eagle Wing (or just E W).

So after surviving a nuke and being the only survivor in the heli crash, you have to constantly fight of Chedaki soldiers claiming whatever's left and later reluctantly team up with a Spetsnaz team to find a boat, which is later found in a village full of Chedakis.
Now, what makes this final part terrifying is due to the following:
  • One of the houses plays the sound of a crying toddler, its parents probably dead, and probably doomed to suffer from radiation poisoning.
  • The boat already being manned by a US soldier, but you're forced to shoot him so that all of you can use it instead.
  • The boat is unable to have everyone on board, so the one with the shortest match will have to be left behind and make a last stand while everyone else takes it to Utes.
  • The credits having a scene that shows a dark map with white, flashing dots later appearing one by one, representing nukes being dropped all over the world.
  • The final scene, showing a similar dark map that is just Utes, which is a few seconds later gone in a similar white flash. In other words, everyone on that boat is absolutely fucked as well.

Also, the game DEFCON. Not particularly the gameplay itself, where your goal is to cause as many casualties as possible for the other side using nukes; it's the noise and feel and everything in between that makes the game a bit more uncomfortable. I haven't played it in a while, but I think it includes sounds like a woman crying, 80s telephone noise with a tune on a single frequency, and other stuff.