Multiplex Minds

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
DATE: 12E16806.22; P.A.C.
LOG ENTRY
SUBJ.Proj.TranscMem/001

The 272-year-old analogy of the Boltzmann Brain continues to elude my understanding. The probability of artificial intellect to construct itself out of stray particles, each charged in such a way that the resulting neurons, synapses, and dendrites carry structured thought (and not noise) is infinitesimally low.

However, at the current rate of posthumanoid stagnation on Ćexiv is becoming concerning. Biomechanical degradation is an inevitability, yet after three generations of cognizant transfer¹, developing psychosomatic disorders have become more egregious and thus more difficult to treat.

I have consulted my fellow colleagues to little success, as the long-standing issue has been plaguing Ćexivian society for decades. In an attempt to ensure the continued survival of our race, I have consulted our local multiplex mind, which has been in uninterrupted hibernation for the previous 75 years, ten years before the perfection of the genome retargeting procedure.

Below will be a tempo-hippocampal recording (filtered) of the interview:

>ID_LIST

>SUBJ1 (RECORDER)
… Origen, Dr.
>SUBJ2 … Halex, MPM Adv.
>RECORD START

“I announce today’s date-and-time as Era 12, year one-six-eight, month six, day twenty-two. Time: Three hours past midnight, Pacific.” I adjusted the garment I wore, feeling synthetic silk-fabrics. Nervosity addled the less-sophisticated parts of my mind.

Many minutes passed. The reconditioning process was notoriously slow for the impermanent mind of a human-adjacent like myself. Halex awoke from their cradle ponderously, and as the dry-cooling agents evaporated into the air and the insides of the pod radiated heat to stimulate the synth-flesh, I felt our minds connect for a few long seconds. I thought, then, of my predicament.

My answer was two-fold, not spoken but thought into my head: “You are thinking about permanence but aren’t experiencing it. Furthermore, I know you are not fully man.” The second was a question playing charade.

I articulated my responses verbally, as is accustomed to my species: “I have spent the last five years probing the compressed, agitated matter within our reactors for information. That was inconclusive, and--” I was interrupted.

“Compression generators are too agitative, Origen: Furthermore, their very nature disallows the chance to be purely random. No particle collider or supernova simulation will ever give you the result you want.” Halex was being vague, and they knew that I knew this.

“...And then I probed the universe. I performed information transfers between Ćexiv and other core worlds, but none of the others had an answer to what I sought.” I thought about the concept again: A consciousness emerging from pure chance. My limited understanding was not satisfactory to Halex.

They exited their stasis chamber then, ambulating to a nearby console made for human-like interfacing. Their eyes locked onto a limp harness nearby, and soon the ball-joint arms slid across the air and fell into their sockets on Halex’s back. After they interfaced with their mind, Halex raised their spindly arms and began to type, using two of three fingers on each hand yet somehow being rapid in the act still. Perhaps these consoles weren’t designed for humans after all, and it was merely a coincidence?

Halex acknowledged that for me. It was a coincidence. How cosmically ironic. They ambulated away from the terminal, offering a spindly finger to point at the screen, where schematics and informational printouts had been called up.

I looked upon them, yet failed to comprehend. I read words such as ‘Transcendentally Implanted Memory’ and ‘hyperclustered neruon-dendron matter’, yet could not find any parallels to it. My eyes traveled to Halex, who ambulated back to their pod.

“Study these things, Origen-which-is-not-your-name: Study them until you begin to comprehend how the mind truly works. I will give you one hint: Your advances in longevity are imperfect.”

>RECORD END

CONCLUSION
As evidenced above, the multiplex mind has offered me a vital key that may decide our people’s future. From today onwards, I will dedicate resources to the study and comprehension of the Combine interpretation of the mind, brain, consciousness, and Ego.

Through the extensive aid of advisor Halex, I make a motion to establish a Bureau of Metaphysics within Ćexiv 107, and form the divisions “1: Processing”, and “2: Mentalism”.

¹Please refer to the 12E02202 archival document ‘Memory Transfers’ for more information on this deprecated subject.

LOG ENTRY
SUBJ.Proj.TranscMem/001

The 272-year-old analogy of the Boltzmann Brain continues to elude my understanding. The probability of artificial intellect to construct itself out of stray particles, each charged in such a way that the resulting neurons, synapses, and dendrites carry structured thought (and not noise) is infinitesimally low.

However, at the current rate of posthumanoid stagnation on Ćexiv is becoming concerning. Biomechanical degradation is an inevitability, yet after three generations of cognizant transfer¹, developing psychosomatic disorders have become more egregious and thus more difficult to treat.

I have consulted my fellow colleagues to little success, as the long-standing issue has been plaguing Ćexivian society for decades. In an attempt to ensure the continued survival of our race, I have consulted our local multiplex mind, which has been in uninterrupted hibernation for the previous 75 years, ten years before the perfection of the genome retargeting procedure.

>ID_LIST

>SUBJ1 (RECORDER)
… Origen, Dr.

>SUBJ2 … Halex, MPM Adv.

>RECORD START

“I announce today’s date-and-time as Era 12, year one-six-eight, month six, day twenty-two. Time: Three hours past midnight, Pacific.” I adjusted the garment I wore, feeling synthetic silk-fabrics. Nervosity addled the less-sophisticated parts of my mind.

Many minutes passed. The reconditioning process was notoriously slow for the impermanent mind of a human-adjacent like myself. Halex awoke from their cradle ponderously, and as the dry-cooling agents evaporated into the air and the insides of the pod radiated heat to stimulate the synth-flesh, I felt our minds connect for a few long seconds. I thought, then, of my predicament.

My answer was two-fold, not spoken but thought into my head: “You are thinking about permanence but aren’t experiencing it. Furthermore, I know you are not fully man.” The second was a question playing charade.

I articulated my responses verbally, as is accustomed to my species: “I have spent the last five years probing the compressed, agitated matter within our reactors for information. That was inconclusive, and--” I was interrupted.

“Compression generators are too agitative, Origen: Furthermore, their very nature disallows the chance to be purely random. No particle collider or supernova simulation will ever give you the result you want.” Halex was being vague, and they knew that I knew this.

“...And then I probed the universe. I performed information transfers between Ćexiv and other core worlds, but none of the others had an answer to what I sought.” I thought about the concept again: A consciousness emerging from pure chance. My limited understanding was not satisfactory to Halex.

They exited their stasis chamber then, ambulating to a nearby console made for human-like interfacing. Their eyes locked onto a limp harness nearby, and soon the ball-joint arms slid across the air and fell into their sockets on Halex’s back. After they interfaced with their mind, Halex raised their spindly arms and began to type, using two of three fingers on each hand yet somehow being rapid in the act still. Perhaps these consoles weren’t designed for humans after all, and it was merely a coincidence?

Halex acknowledged that for me. It was a coincidence. How cosmically ironic. They ambulated away from the terminal, offering a spindly finger to point at the screen, where schematics and informational printouts had been called up.

I looked upon them, yet failed to comprehend. I read words such as ‘Transcendentally Implanted Memory’ and ‘hyperclustered neruon-dendron matter’, yet could not find any parallels to it. My eyes traveled to Halex, who ambulated back to their pod.

“Study these things, Origen-which-is-not-your-name: Study them until you begin to comprehend how the mind truly works. I will give you one hint: Your advances in longevity are imperfect.”

>RECORD END

CONCLUSION

As evidenced above, the multiplex mind has offered me a vital key that may decide our people’s future. From today onwards, I will dedicate resources to the study and comprehension of the Combine interpretation of the mind, brain, consciousness, and Ego.

Through the extensive aid of advisor Halex, I make a motion to establish a Bureau of Metaphysics within Ćexiv 107, and form the divisions “1: Processing”, and “2: Mentalism”.

¹Please refer to the 12E02202 archival document ‘Memory Transfers’ for more information on this deprecated subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
LOG ENTRY
SUBJ.Proj.TranscMem/001

>ID_LIST

>SUBJ1 (RECORDER)
… Origen, Dr.
>SUBJ2 … Halex, MPM Adv.
>RECORD START

They exited their stasis chamber then, ambulating to a nearby console made for human-like interfacing. Their eyes locked onto a limp harness nearby, and soon the ball-joint arms slid across the air and fell into their sockets on Halex’s back. After they interfaced with their mind, Halex raised their spindly arms and began to type, using two of three fingers on each hand yet somehow being rapid in the act still. Perhaps these consoles weren’t designed for humans after all, and it was merely a conincidence?

>RECORD END

CONCLUSION

// Is there a chance that when you do your docs that you could put a spoiler at the bottom with a "Non-Courier New format" i'm not complaining, it's just I have to squint when reading this particular font and it hurts :( again, not dissing on you just a small request because i like reading your docs <3

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
// Is there a chance that when you do your docs that you could put a spoiler at the bottom with a "Non-Courier New format" i'm not complaining, it's just I have to squint when reading this particular font and it hurts :( again, not dissing on you just a small request because i like reading your docs <3
// I've done this. Enjoy reading! :)

Reactions: List