My external hard drive won't show up on my computer.

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
Ok, so this is a rather serious issue, as half of my steam games are on this hard drive. My Seagate hard Drive does not appear in my computer files, despite it having A: appeared there in the past, and B: everything seems to be working and plugged in. Does anyone know what's going on?
[doublepost=1533319876][/doublepost]If anyone can resolve this quickly, as there is at least 1 game rendered non functional by this disappearance.

D

Deleted member 1381

1. search control panel in your search bar and open it
  2. go to hardware and sound
  3. under device and printers click device manager with the admin icon next to it
  4. troubleshoot your external hard drive from there
if your hard drive doesnt appear on the device manager list chances are theres some physically wrong with it stopping it from connecting to the computer

Reactions: List

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
search control panel in your search bar
which search bar should i use? the one in file explorer, or another one? I am in windows 10 if it effects it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.
[doublepost=1533323050][/doublepost]
if your hard drive doesnt appear on the device manager list chances are theres some physically wrong with it stopping it from connecting to the computer
Ok, it is not showing up, but the light on top of the seagate is still on. if there is something physically wrong, surely it would not be on?

D

Deleted member 1381

Ok, it is not showing up, but the light on top of the seagate is still on. if there is something physically wrong, surely it would not be on?
check this part of your PC
b512105f6b60aa9413c3ef703884952d.png

for any errors, press the up arrow to see things that are hidden and there might be something in there telling you what's wrong

if there's nothing there, go to this search bar
78cd06ec3b9b2eb16a407c4e8e703311.png

type in "cmd", right click the 'command prompt' option and click run as administrator
once you're in the prompt as an administrator type "sfc /scannow" and give it some time to scan your system, there might be something causing it to not work and if there is it should fix it

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudson

Electron
Nebulae
I have an external Seagate that refused to connect. I noticed that when I moved it it would sometimes register though. Figured out that if I propped the rear up it could work.

It seemed that if the cable was touching literally anything then it would break the connection. So the mini USB3 port on their external drives turned out to be really bad.

Note for the future - I've never had a problem with Western Digital.

steve maxwell

Proton
Nebulae
UPDATE: The Seagate is now registering once more. What I will ask though, is if it has anything to do with a faulty dongle, as my original one stopped working and I installed a new one today. @Mesa