My Review of the Jedi Knight Series.

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
Eddard Stark's Review of the Jedi Knight Series
The Jedi Knight series is a trilogy of games revolving around the famed Kyle Katarn and his adventures as a Jedi Knight. The first game in the Series is "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II". I will be calling it Dark Forces 2. The Second game is named "Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast", more formally Jedi Outcast. And the Third being named "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy" or Jedi Academy. Lets start out with Dark Forces 2. I am not an expert of any of the games, even though I have played them for 14 years.

Dark Forces 2

Let us start out with the tech part of the Game. The game doesn't look too good, and the graphics haven't aged well, but there are remedies for this problem, in which I will go into detail at the end.
13878.jpeg

Let me tell you
DO NOT BUY ON STEAM I could not get the game running from the Steam Version. So I went on Amazon and bought the physical copy. It ran perfectly. You could also get it from GOG, but I do not know how that will go. Other than that, lets get into the gameplay
The Gameplay of Dark Forces 2 is simple in the first couple of missions...You shoot and you run. You get shields and health. You can get portable bacta tubes, which can be used at anytime to heal you, but other than that, its basically running and shooting. I had a great deal of fun and engagement during the first couple of levels. Around the Third or fourth level you get your hands on a lightsaber. From here you basically use the lightsaber, or at least I did. The first power you get is Force Speed, which is helpful for killing hordes of enemies. Killing enemies in this game feels satisfying...Edgy. It feels more satisfying than killing enemies in Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy, and I will get into this later. The further you progress in the story, the more Stars you get and these stars can be used toward force powers.There are two trees, dark and light force abilities. .In my playthrough I went with the lightside, since you get force heal and force protection. The darkside abilities didn't fit my tastes.
The Story of Dark Forces 2 is good, and kept me interested.You follow Kyle Katarn as he tracks down the Dark Jedi that had killed his Father. Jerec being the leader of the Dark Jedi group.The cutscenes offer low budget CGI and Okay acting, though I do love Jerec and Kyle's actor.
TCUYmAC.gif

I had a couple of chuckles during some of these Cutscenes. The boss fights are easy, with the exception of Jerec. The set pieces of the missions and boss battles are great, and they absolutely feel like Star Wars.

Jedi Outcast
Jedi Outcast might be my favorite Star Wars game, so I will try to be as unbiased as I can.

First lets start out with the Gameplay. The Lightsaber combat in this game is Amazing, to say the least. No other Star Wars game to date has topped Jedi Outcast's lightsaber combat. It's fluid and fells like you really are controlling a lightsaber. The force powers in this game greatly improve from Dark Forces 2, adding a range of new abilities, like Force push, ability to throw your lightsaber and many more. Fighting the Sith, or Dark Jedi's in this game is great, it's the best part of this game...besides Kyle Katarn.
66394-Star_Wars_Jedi_Knight_II_Outcast-5.jpg

The story of Jedi Outcast follows Kyle Katarn trying to get revenge again... The first few levels have you starting out with only blasters. Though the level design is good and fluid, and connects very well. I'm not an expert on Level design or anything, so I can't say much in this department. Once you get your lightsaber, things slowly begin to build up. The second half of the game is great, except the Yavin-4 level. It's just confusing and bland. By the end of the game, you feel like a true badass, pushing and pulling stormtroopers around. Cutting sith's hands off. Cheats make the game 100 times better.
Multiplayer in this game is phenomenal. I put many hours into the Multiplayer, and it still breathes fresh air. Great game all oaround.

Jedi Academy

The Singleplayer sucks, just buy it for the Multiplayer and the mods that can go with it. The lightsaber combat was built upon, but they ruined Kyle Katarn's character in the Single Player. The Single player is boring, and I do not know where they went wrong. Two mods that I am going to recommend is, Movie Duels 2 and Movie Battles. Movie Duels is a Single Player mod, while Movie Battles is Multiplayer.
4DB6F321F768EB6B541F01A024AB4400EC052774

screenshot from Movie Duels 2.

Regarding Dark Forces 2 Graphics
I'd recommend getting the Jedi Knight Enhanced and Re-texture mod. They make the game look so much better.
OMbwT.jpg

ah74I.jpg

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Shame Jedi Knight Academy is 100% incompatible with 1360 by 768, even with the config edits...

Deleted member 374

jesus christ denton
Nebulae
jedi outcast will forever be one of my favorite games of all time

great review. you should do kotor next.