Serious Need help about a better AM3+ CPU

FieldersNL

heck
Nebulae
Hi there,
So currently I'm using the following specs:

• AMD FX 4100 Quad core processor (3.6 GHZ Base clock, overclocked at 4.1 GHZ)
  • CPU Cooler: Xilence M403 Performance C Series
  • 2x DDR3 8 GB 2400 Mhz RAM
  • Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G GPU
  • Loaded on an ASUS M5A78L-M / USB 3 (Supports AM3+ CPU's only)
And the results aren't great, mostly because of my CPU is too weak for my GPU, it bottlenecks on newer games like Far Cry 5 like it keeps the FPS average about 45 on both Ultra and low settings. But this also means that my other games aren't quite getting the great results because of this. These are similair results with an AMD Radeon 360 series. It's becoming to upset me really.

So I'm asking one of you experience PC users, professionals or experts on a better AM3+ CPU that supports the GPU with low bottlenecks plus if anything else like a better cooler and etc is required. I'm not planning to change my motherboard, otherwise I'll have to invest into new ram cards aswell if it doesn't support DDR3's. So a better motherboard that supports a better socket but still DDR3 is fine aswell.

Thank you and make my GPU happy again!

Stalker

the very best rp man on planet earth
Nebulae
AMD FX 4100
I used to have this CPU on my previous build, honestly it may be best to move onto AM4 or the new intel series and go from there, Am3 is pretty much a dead socket these days and your upgrade path is limited to another FX cpu with more cores like an 8350 which really isn't worth it in this day and age. Something like a 1600 from Ryzen or an i5 from intel on their newer MB would do nicely

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Honestly just get Ryzen 2600X and a full upgrade or wait until next years Ryzen is out.
[doublepost=1525010786][/doublepost]Don’t really think it’s worth upgrading to old hardware unless you really have to

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
Get an AM4 socket + mobo, the new Ryzen+ (not Ryzen 2) or just wait quite frankly, bulldozer architecture is dead.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I used to have this CPU on my previous build, honestly it may be best to move onto AM4 or the new intel series and go from there, Am3 is pretty much a dead socket these days and your upgrade path is limited to another FX cpu with more cores like an 8350 which really isn't worth it in this day and age. Something like a 1600 from Ryzen or an i5 from intel on their newer MB would do nicely

Tbf, if he's going to go for a new MB with an Intel socket, 370 is the choice, the H versions are now out and 8th Gen i3 processors are good enough for games and stuff. Regardless, a MB upgrade means he'll have to change the RAM since he won't be able to use his old DDR3 ones on DDR4 sockets, regardless if the MB is 1151 or AM4, both are DDR4 now. And RAM is not cheap right now, even if prices went down a bit, the price decrease has happened on GPUs but not affected RAMs as much. For instance, at the start of the mining shit I got my RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 8GB 2x4GB CL15) for €81, and on peak it reached around €150, while right now it's €110, so prices on RAM went down but not so much. Processors really depend, i7-8700k 3.7 GHz was €400 at the start, while now it's gone back to Intel's standard i7 price, €300-€320, while their i3-8350K 4.0 GHz has now 4 cores and 4 threads, like 6th and 7th gen i5s, with a rather "low" price. For AMD, pretty much what @Whilty said, although make sure which kind you buy, some Ryzen have more power and some other have less, just like with Intel. AMD should be cheaper, although in some cases it won't perform as good as Intel, mainly games, for the rest it's great, and it's not bad for games either. AMD is good for instance, for things that require multicore processing, while Intel is better for single core processing.

There's a lot of things you need to take into account to get the best for the smallest price possible.

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
Tbf, if he's going to go for a new MB with an Intel socket, 370 is the choice, the H versions are now out and 8th Gen i3 processors are good enough for games and stuff. Regardless, a MB upgrade means he'll have to change the RAM since he won't be able to use his old DDR3 ones on DDR4 sockets, regardless if the MB is 1151 or AM4, both are DDR4 now. And RAM is not cheap right now, even if prices went down a bit, the price decrease has happened on GPUs but not affected RAMs as much. For instance, at the start of the mining shit I got my RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 8GB 2x4GB CL15) for €81, and on peak it reached around €150, while right now it's €110, so prices on RAM went down but not so much. Processors really depend, i7-8700k 3.7 GHz was €400 at the start, while now it's gone back to Intel's standard i7 price, €300-€320, while their i3-8350K 4.0 GHz has now 4 cores and 4 threads, like 6th and 7th gen i5s, with a rather "low" price. For AMD, pretty much what @Whilty said, although make sure which kind you buy, some Ryzen have more power and some other have less, just like with Intel. AMD should be cheaper, although in some cases it won't perform as good as Intel, mainly games, for the rest it's great, and it's not bad for games either. AMD is good for instance, for things that require multicore processing, while Intel is better for single core processing.

There's a lot of things you need to take into account to get the best for the smallest price possible.
Now is a really, REALLY bad time to buy RAM anyway -- if you can, hope for a price drop and hold on

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Now is a really, REALLY bad time to buy RAM anyway -- if you can, hope for a price drop and hold on

My wallet agrees, I just upgraded from an OC’d i7 2600K to Ryzen 2700X and 32GB of 3200Mhz DDR4 and it stings.

Whilt

Woh
Nebulae
My wallet agrees, I just upgraded from an OC’d i7 2600K to Ryzen 2700X and 32GB of 3200Mhz DDR4 and it stings.
Hey, atleast with that decent RAM speed you'll probably see a pretty damn good performance increase over slower RAM

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
How much does the RAM speed actually affect performance on ryzen if you know? Been running 2400Mhz RAM for a while and wanna know if its worth the upgrade.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
How much does the RAM speed actually affect performance on ryzen if you know? Been running 2400Mhz RAM for a while and wanna know if its worth the upgrade.

A lot, you want 3200Mhz with B-Die.