Oga Baroga

Discussion in 'Feedback Section' started by dee pixel, Oct 5, 2020.

1. dee pixel

dee pixel jesus christ denton
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:

Elsewhere, the Great Manatee swims in its water, in the great living blue.
    Oga Baroga, Blue-Pixel event

@Dallas as AGENT MCLEOD
    @Jackround12353 as AGENT KRESINGER
    @Blue Wolf as C.W. DUNLAP, YELLOW, MARCEL 2

special thanks to @Deathwolf for taking screenshots​

• nebulous nebulous x 13
  2. Deathwolf

Deathwolf Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    c-drive ran out of space so i couldnt record it all LOL

kino and the ending was beautiful

@Dallas sorry for hindering the experience mate
    stuff went over my head so easily i hate it

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    nvm i got about half of it recorded

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  5. nexus

nexus barbecue chips aint shit
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator

Nebulae:
    Looks like a short, really good video-game to me; a story once told and never redoable. The essence of events, pure magic. One-stop experiences no one else will ever get to blast through.

The amount of passion @dee pixel had poured at me during the last few months regarding small concepts for this event alone have been enough to justify their own pieces of a story, stacked together - they're a cluster of threads sewn together into something truly unique and special. With a blank canvas, I know this man can make anything. Letting your creative space go unobstructed and surrounding yourself with people who help you along the way instead of taking that creative control from you, you always make something masterful.

I also know @Blue Wolf is exemplary at making absolutely anything work to its fullest potential. You can throw a single line at him like "you're an old man with back-pain." and count on him to paint out every nuance of a character at a snap as if he'd pre-written something months earlier, never have I known a gamer to portray real human people more faithfully. All in all despise not playing I know from what I've seen that this is probably my favorite event as a concept ever. I hope the experience reflected that.

• nebulous nebulous x 6
  6. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    will do a write-up tomorrow

but my thoughts are that dee needs to make these things into monetised pieces of art and not free roleplay events

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. Deathwolf

Nebulae:
    okay that’s cool nerd, all i know is i can trust those two turn an event from plunging shit out of a toilet into an emotional rollercoaster with the death of a species

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  8. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    no hinderance at all bud x

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  9. Deathwolf

Nebulae:
    By the way, this did for Animated props what Avatar did for 3d movies, the use of animated props was literally WONDERFUL and i don’t think the same vibe could have been achieved without like 30 event characters

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    @dee pixel has me sleep deprived but it was worth it

also music choice was on point

goodnight, god bless

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  11. Deathwolf

Nebulae:
    The use of the Toolgun as a pulse pistol truly shows the genius of Dee Pixel

12. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:

[​IMG]

you're the master of cops...

...mastercop.

OGA BAROGA
    a review

Having previously played 'Hell Freezes Over' in January 2020, which now feels like a lifetime ago, I was keen to see how @dee pixel 's style had evolved. His events are rich in an individualistic approach to narrative; small groups, with direct internal text cues, heavy in map-based environmental storytelling, and a reliance on the imaginative and psychedelic. In short, you are delegated a lot of responsibility, as a player, to put yourself out there and be bold enough to match the story being told.

In Oga Baroga, I played Gaz McLeod, a caricature of antisocial masculinity, with a Scottish twist. It's something I know and get. I didn't expect it to mold perfectly with Oga Baroga, a neo-noir detective drama set in Combine-controlled Baltimore, but I thought I would apply with the character anyway - to serve as a foil to whoever my partner was. An abrasive, tactless, violent man.

Right away, I was thrilled by the style and gameplay choices; the soundtrack, the integration of skills into gameplay provided unique clues to the case, I felt immediately invested in the task at hand. I loved the interaction with static NPCs, which felt natural and unforced, not at all janky, which surprised me. The environments of the city were rendered with amazing care and the whole staff should see it as a job well done for making the map feel filled with places to explore.

The arc was excellent, the case mysterious, and I found myself changing McLeod as the piece went on. From the point of Valentino's suicide, I would say, McLeod began to search for empathy (his lowest skill) and found moments of mild redemption, or balance, to the godforsaken world he inhabited.

The highlight of the event, personally, came when the detectives needed to get new clothes and I was able to strip down, rob a homeless man for his clothes, and wear them for the rest of the event. I felt like anything I decided to do was a legitimate course of action, and that my agency as a player would be respected. It was a small moment, but I felt reminded that this simply does not happen in most events. It was an open space, a sandbox for us to approach problems creatively, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I found the ending strangely moving, and quite surprising. I loved to see it come back to HL2 in a brilliant and unique way. The Manatee, which is a mysterious animal at the best of times, became this strange Lovecraftian image that hung over the event. I began to actually feel the suspense and build-up towards seeing what it all meant - and I was absolutely amazed when the reveal was something I totally didn't expect, or even consider. A backstory for the synth gunship. I laugh at how novel it was. So surprising. I have played this stupid video game for years and never once stopped to think "okay so where did the gunships come from"

It was very striking, and incredibly well written. I felt a real sense of attachment to McLeod and his journey by the end of the event, in a way no other event has ever made me feel.

Hell Freezes Over was an excellent event, my favourite event. But this is its equal.

Once again, I stress that this would have been a great movie, or a play, or a book, with some minor changes (make it your own, not HL2), I would have paid money to see this story.

Thanks to the whole team who made this happen, you've made me feel things over a video game.

I hope that Gaz was a worthy protagonist.

• nebulous nebulous x 12
  13. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    HOW THE FUCK DID I MISS A DEE PIXLE EVENT

IM GONNA SLAP MY NUTS DUDE FML

14. .....the Pk'd boy.....

Nebulae:
    can you post the video pls

15. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    ye will do soon

16. Jackround12353

Jackround12353 gaming...
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    never uploaded the video sorry

the footage is super scuffed and i only managed to record like 1/3 of the event

maybe next time ill make it save to my d-drive and change the recording format

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice