pc configuration

zing

Proton
Nebulae
Hi. I've got some lags at the moment when there're so many props at the location, so I'd like to buy some stuff for my pc. My current configuration is:

RAM 4gb
GTX 1030ti
Intel g4560

I'm planning to buy a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB SSD and 16gb RAM. Would this configuration fix all the lags?

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Hi. I've got some lags at the moment when there're so many props at the location, so I'd like to buy some stuff for my pc. My current configuration is:

RAM 4gb
GTX 1030ti
Intel g4560

I'm planning to buy a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB SSD and 16gb RAM. Would this configuration fix all the lags?

The SSD would help, the RAM is not really going to change much

Still... Probably wise to upgrade the setup itself before going onto stuff like M.2 SSDs or similar. Does your motherboard have an M.2 slot, to begin with?

Reactions: List

zing

Proton
Nebulae
The SSD would help, the RAM is not really going to change much

Still... Probably wise to upgrade the setup itself before going onto stuff like M.2 SSDs or similar. Does your motherboard have an M.2 slot, to begin with?
I think so, yes

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
you should get a RAM upgrade 100%

4GB just doesnt cut it for a lot of modern PCs unless you're doing office work

just make sure you either get RAM that matches the clock speed of the other stick, or just get out an 8gb stick of ram as it should be fine for most games if thats what youre planning on doing, DDR4 would be the best (note: if your current stick of ram isnt DDR4 get one that matches, otherwise it wont be as effective)

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I think so, yes

Still, I do believe you should save up a bit of money and get yourself a Ryzen for that GTX, even a Ryzen 3 should suffice. You can probably find affordable computer components now that the sales have gone down a bit, too, so upgrading the main components shouldn't be too costly. You don't need top of the list components to play, either, unless you want to run everything in ultra graphics at 2K+ resolution which I doubt is your goal.

The SSD may help with textures and such, as well as the RAM may help loading them. Aside from that, if the processor bottlenecks, it doesn't matter how fast your GTX and your memory components are, stuff will run slow regardless at least until it loads all or most textures.
[doublepost=1605164824][/doublepost]
you should get a RAM upgrade 100%

4GB just doesnt cut it for a lot of modern PCs unless you're doing office work

just make sure you either get RAM that matches the clock speed of the other stick, or just get out an 8gb stick of ram as it should be fine for most games if thats what youre planning on doing, DDR4 would be the best (note: if your current stick of ram isnt DDR4 get one that matches, otherwise it wont be as effective)

Never recommend single sticks, always recommend dual channel. If he wants 8GB he should either buy a second RAM stick that is the same specs as his current, or buy two brand new sticks of 4GB each.

The idea is to utilize the dual channel function of the motherboard, that increases loading speeds as the RAM function isn't performed by one single stick but 2 in unison.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
yeah what jaggles said

GMod mainly runs off the PCs processor instead of graphics card i think? at least its what ive read, id look into upgrading that asap

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
yeah what jaggles said

GMod mainly runs off the PCs processor instead of graphics card i think? at least its what ive read, id look into upgrading that asap

Yeah, it's the main issue with source engine, GFC matters little because it mostly takes from the processor.

Fun fact, it runs better on older processors due to the multicore configurations. Only now Gmod runs a bit better on newer processors than it did before thanks to the multicore test (gmod_mcore_test 1). Funnily enough, my Athlon X2 245 ran gmod better than my posterior i7-4770k.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
4GB of RAM? Jeez.

Just clump up some cash and buy a 16GBx2 bundle.

Who needs 32GB of RAM for a computer that does not have a Ryzen 7/Intel i7 8th+ or above?

Like sure if he plans to buy a very high-performance computer with absurd levels of power he should get a RAM that can keep up with it but otherwise 16GBs (2x4) is the proper choice as otherwise you're basically throwing money away (specially considering most 32GB RAM bundles come with LEDs and other unnecessary shit).

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
Like sure if he plans to buy a very high-performance computer with absurd levels of power he should get a RAM that can keep up with it but otherwise 16GBs (2x4) is the proper choice as otherwise you're basically throwing money away (specially considering most 32GB RAM bundles come with LEDs and other unnecessary shit).
As someone (currently, not for long) running a I7-3820 with a 16GB (4x4) bundle, I can't even have most games open plus other applications without things going wonky. More RAM gives you breathing room, quite frankly with performance demands only increasing further every two years it makes more sense to upgrade for a 16GBx2 bundle than cheapening out and then getting screwed later.

Plus, GSkill seem to have decent options for cheap.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
As someone (currently, not for long) running a I7-3820 with a 16GB (4x4) bundle, I can't even have most games open plus other applications without things going wonky. More RAM gives you breathing room, quite frankly with performance demands only increasing further every two years it makes more sense to upgrade for a 16GBx2 bundle than cheapening out and then getting screwed later.

Plus, GSkill seem to have decent options for cheap.

I have a 4x4GB setup with an i7-7700k, I can livestream Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on ultra graphics on 1080p60 with no lag spikes or anything of the likes, and I can even have Google Chrome with a few tabs, WhatsApp, Telegram, Discord and TeamSpeak 3 open at the same time.

Your processor is a 3rd generation i7 which has seen better days, so of course, it will need extra RAM since it's outdated - It's not bad but a newer generation i5 will do the job better. On top of that, depending on the game the GFC processor can take off some load off its back.

Personally, I believe instead of wasting his money on extra RAM that won't be used, he should invest in a 250GB M.2 for instance, where he can install the OS and maybe one high-performance game. The difference between a computer with an M.2 and one without it when it comes to performance is absolutely outrageous, it has given a friend of mine the possibility to use his computer further when he already thought he'd have to upgrade.

It's not "cheapening out", it's that 32GBs would be going way too far unless you have a computer that actually needs that much RAM.

zing

Proton
Nebulae
The only game I wanna play rn is gmod, so there’s no sense in 32GB of RAM. I would buy 16GB and that’s enough for Garry’s Mod. I think I will buy gtx 1660ti and i5 10400F, with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB SSD. That would be great for gmod, I assume.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
The only game I wanna play rn is gmod, so there’s no sense in 32GB of RAM. I would buy 16GB and that’s enough for Garry’s Mod. I think I will buy gtx 1660ti and i5 10400F, with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB SSD. That would be great for gmod, I assume.

That's more than enough for most games nowadays, not just Gmod. Same goes for the 16GB RAM.

Honestly, check out the Ryzen series too, as they often offer cheaper prices for beasts like the Ryzen 5 or 7 that are more than enough to play any game and they're at a decent price, and are usually having better performance than intel chips at least these two or three generations.

On the other hand, I'd recommend RTX 2060 over GTX 1660Ti if you manage to get your hands on the i5 or Ryzen 5 - Mainly because the price is nearly the same (~20€ more, which you can save from getting a Ryzen instead of an Intel chip?), but the benchmarks on the 2060 are better.

In the end you can do whatever, I'm just showing you your options.