question about mapping

Johnny B. Goode

Objectively Best MGS poster
Nebulae
because im bored out of my mind and can't do other creative stuff like posing or sfm i have decided to take up mapping

i've already made the basics for my level, as seen here
OBnt1UC.png
Llz4y91.png

i remember on a thread i read where @Zak said to compile as you go but i have no clue if i did it right

i basically clicked on all these and prayed for the best
C1dwMRF.png

did i do this right? pls help :c

Ukkometso

Neutrino
Nebulae
Throw me your discord if you have one. I have lots of ideas about mapping which I'd love to see if you can project into a physical map.

Zak

Resident xenophile
Nebulae
because im bored out of my mind and can't do other creative stuff like posing or sfm i have decided to take up mapping

i've already made the basics for my level, as seen here
OBnt1UC.png
Llz4y91.png

i remember on a thread i read where @Zak said to compile as you go but i have no clue if i did it right

i basically clicked on all these and prayed for the best
C1dwMRF.png

did i do this right? pls help :c
you're gonna want to change that "hdr full compile" to "fast" for the purposes of testing, it'll massively cut down the time it takes

as far as the tickboxes go:
  • $bsp builds the level geometry, you'll basically always want this ticked
  • $vis calculates visibility, turn it off if you need a super-quick test compile
  • $light calculates light, obviously, disabling this will launch the map in fullbright and save a lot of time
  • copy file will move the map file from your hammer directory to your game directory
  • $game will launch the game after compiling, i personally keep this unticked because it's easier to launch the game separately and just exit to the main menu and reload the map each time

Johnny B. Goode

Nebulae
you're gonna want to change that "hdr full compile" to "fast" for the purposes of testing, it'll massively cut down the time it takes

as far as the tickboxes go:
  • $bsp builds the level geometry, you'll basically always want this ticked
  • $vis calculates visibility, turn it off if you need a super-quick test compile
  • $light calculates light, obviously, disabling this will launch the map in fullbright and save a lot of time
  • copy file will move the map file from your hammer directory to your game directory
  • $game will launch the game after compiling, i personally keep this unticked because it's easier to launch the game separately and just exit to the main menu and reload the map each time
im using source multi-tool and with the config i have, it said to just run it in the game itself because i've set my directory to the gmod maps folder anyway and it doesn't run from hammer itself

but thank you zak, i may have more questions in the future :^))))))

Reactions: List

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
ah okay thank you for stopping me from being a colossal fuck up

also when i loaded my map it didn't have a lot of the props, mainly the ep2 stuff. any help?
sounds like you was using a prop entity that was not valid for the model.
What were the props called in properties for those that never appeared?
  • prop_static
  • prop_physics
  • prop_dynamic
it's usually one of these three.

Johnny B. Goode

Nebulae
sounds like you was using a prop entity that was not valid for the model.
What were the props called in properties for those that never appeared?
  • prop_static
  • prop_physics
  • prop_dynamic
it's usually one of these three.
uhh, i placed it as a prop_static. its the blast door thing in the most recent picture, as well as a few other doors and lights

here's the window when i double click it
c8619da438a0ce91dbb97c2e368b56a0.png

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
uhh, i placed it as a prop_static. its the blast door thing in the most recent picture, as well as a few other doors and lights

here's the window when i double click it
c8619da438a0ce91dbb97c2e368b56a0.png
That door won't appear as it's only setup to work with prop_physics
However there is a static variant you can use instead that will work with prop_static (as long as you don't intend the door to open)

When checking props, select it on the menu and navigate to it's info tab. you can see what it is compatible with
xTQpML0.png

Do this for the props that are not appearing either and make the changes where you can, they should load into your map after.

Johnny B. Goode

Nebulae
That door won't appear as it's only setup to work with prop_physics
However there is a static variant you can use instead that will work with prop_static (as long as you don't intend the door to open)

When checking props, select it on the menu and navigate to it's info tab. you can see what it is compatible with
xTQpML0.png

Do this for the props that are not appearing either and make the changes where you can, they should load into your map after.
yeah i don't plan on having any opening doors atm, there's only this one shutter that is half open which is the only way out of that hallway, yet i'm ages away from getting there

i'll give this a shot and get back to you

Reactions: List

Johnny B. Goode

Nebulae
so i got all my shit working and i'll upload a video tomorrow buuuut

my decals like the graffiti won't load. i've put them on a block where i applied the texture, then moved it into a wall so all was hidden aside from the graffiti itself but it still does load?

aaaa

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
so i got all my shit working and i'll upload a video tomorrow buuuut

my decals like the graffiti won't load. i've put them on a block where i applied the texture, then moved it into a wall so all was hidden aside from the graffiti itself but it still does load?

aaaa
always apply the decals on after your layouts are set in stone, otherwise you need to pretty much redo your decals.

Johnny B. Goode

Nebulae
always apply the decals on after your layouts are set in stone, otherwise you need to pretty much redo your decals.
ah shit

but i did it right with the whole applying it as a texture onto a block and placing it against a wall?