tenor.gif

a very good scene build for your 1st try

Reactions: List

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
667495CD4BAD36749E51922905D743EF65C1440C

It reminds me a little of the HL2 Beta, I'm not sure why
this is so good but the fact that hand is in a distinct DEFAULT POSE really bothers me, same with the way that guys arm is so slack. hold your hand up like you'd explain something to someone and you'll realise that hand position, angle- the fingers, it feels really odd. wish it was pointing or grabbing or doing something emotive of anything else. sorry for butting in just wanted to give some feedback. it really could be CREME if the guy was more naturally expressive. probably blur the background a bit too so that you don't see the low poly sign behind so well.

Ricsow

professional retard
HL2 RP Administrator
Media Developer
Nebulae
this is so good but the fact that hand is in a distinct DEFAULT POSE really bothers me, same with the way that guys arm is so slack. hold your hand up like you'd explain something to someone and you'll realise that hand position, angle- the fingers, it feels really odd. wish it was pointing or grabbing or doing something emotive of anything else. sorry for butting in just wanted to give some feedback. it really could be CREME if the guy was more naturally expressive. probably blur the background a bit too so that you don't see the low poly sign behind so well.
I know, but animating hands is so fucking god awful to do I hate it so much. I also had to raise his hand up so high because I wanted it to still fit into the photo, since I wanted every pose in Donnie‘s bio to have the same dimension in terms of how I crop them.

usin gmod or SFM?
SFM

D

Deleted member 7099

I know, but animating hands is so fucking god awful to do I hate it so much
here's some tips for all source filmmaker fellas to make hand posing easier and get better results
unknown.png

while holding down control, draw a little circle around the fingers. if it doesnt get all of them just select the remaining bones with shiftclicking.
unknown.png

make sure you select the first bone of any finger as pictured
unknown.png

right click in the yellow circle, rotation mode > local. make sure it's set on local. it's on world by default.
now you can easily bend all the fingers how you'd expect them to bend just by rotating the base finger.
unknown.png

this was all done by just rotating the singular bone. this method words best on models with their fingers straight by default, as you can see on this model and on most half-life 2 citizen models the hands are already curved a tad bit and aren't straight.
unknown.png

with some fiddling, you can get decent results. keep in mind, some models just have shitty fingers. most half-life 2 models have absolutely terrible fingers and no matter how hard you try it's impossible to get something as good as you'd like it to be.

you can also use sequences to help yourself out a tad.
unknown.png

right click on the model group of the fingers you want to pose, click import sequence.
unknown.png

this window'll appear. click on the box that says idle and just scroll through the long list of animations there are. for example, i'll use the one for the fist animation.
unknown.png

as you can see, easy balled fist. either keep it like that or tweak it to your needs.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
if you want a mathematically correct balled fist, you can use the motion editor and edit the exact rotation of each digit to 45 or 90 degrees

then the knuckle

do it to each finger and you get a perfect balled fist with no unnatural warping

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
here's some tips for all source filmmaker fellas to make hand posing easier and get better results
unknown.png

while holding down control, draw a little circle around the fingers. if it doesnt get all of them just select the remaining bones with shiftclicking.
unknown.png

make sure you select the first bone of any finger as pictured
unknown.png

right click in the yellow circle, rotation mode > local. make sure it's set on local. it's on world by default.
now you can easily bend all the fingers how you'd expect them to bend just by rotating the base finger.
unknown.png

this was all done by just rotating the singular bone. this method words best on models with their fingers straight by default, as you can see on this model and on most half-life 2 citizen models the hands are already curved a tad bit and aren't straight.
unknown.png

with some fiddling, you can get decent results. keep in mind, some models just have shitty fingers. most half-life 2 models have absolutely terrible fingers and no matter how hard you try it's impossible to get something as good as you'd like it to be.

you can also use sequences to help yourself out a tad.
unknown.png

right click on the model group of the fingers you want to pose, click import sequence.
unknown.png

this window'll appear. click on the box that says idle and just scroll through the long list of animations there are. for example, i'll use the one for the fist animation.
unknown.png

as you can see, easy balled fist. either keep it like that or tweak it to your needs.
This is very helpful!

On the other hand though, hands are delicate and hard to get right sometimes but it really is just a matter of doing some anatomy research and paying attention to your own hands. Like, holding your hand out straight, how you ball into a fist, how you grab a pringles tube idk - it's all useful

Sometimes I find when posing that hands don't look right at all no matter what you do, and that's because some models just have dodgy hand positioning which were probably really only made to handle a gun in a particular position otherwise the model materials bend around weirdly sometimes

I must have googled firearm postures on google images enough times to be put on a watch list
Just keep throwing something till it sticks

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
This is very helpful!

On the other hand though, hands are delicate and hard to get right sometimes but it really is just a matter of doing some anatomy research and paying attention to your own hands. Like, holding your hand out straight, how you ball into a fist, how you grab a pringles tube idk - it's all useful

Sometimes I find when posing that hands don't look right at all no matter what you do, and that's because some models just have dodgy hand positioning which were probably really only made to handle a gun in a particular position otherwise the model materials bend around weirdly sometimes

I must have googled firearm postures on google images enough times to be put on a watch list
Just keep throwing something till it sticks
i pick up pencil
then i make it look like how i pick up pencil
i pick up cigarette
i make look like how i do it

this the best practice on how to get anything right imo, we do a lot of things subconsciously without looking at how we actually go about it
the artist truly becomes the art

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
i pick up pencil
then i make it look like how i pick up pencil
i pick up cigarette
i make look like how i do it

this the best practice on how to get anything right imo, we do a lot of things subconsciously without looking at how we actually go about it
the artist truly becomes the art
Reference photos are a god send when you're trying to get a pose right