Serious [Review] Art of The Week

D

Deleted member 5162

i gotta be honest i love the art but these titles throw me way off theres one picture that has all of these on it:

6 Months Earlier, The First Days, Summer 2017 and Dying at Dawn - Better Than At Night

given your actual titles seem to be in the bottom middle in everything else i genuinely do not know which is the title and which is the event name - since the first days and 6 months earlier both sound like they'd be prequel pretext maybe? and the whole Dying at Dawn - Better Than At Night feels like a very awkward statement unless it was an obvious title? but the title is at the very top usually right?? since these are new, summer 2017 can't be the time they're happening irl so its gotta be when they're set - is that the name? maybe im just an insane individual
yeah i kept changing the style of posters, which is something i don't like. they don't work together at all. 3rd Poster was made for a prequel event, set 6 months earlier in the server's lore. The slogan on the left was just something I came up with no real background or thinking, guess it was just put there for cool looks, top middle is the title.
from left to right, it's oldest by newest

i also hate the 2nd, its so dark what was i thinking wtf

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
yeah i kept changing the style of posters, which is something i don't like. they don't work together at all. 3rd Poster was made for a prequel event, set 6 months earlier in the server's lore. The slogan on the left was just something I came up with no real background or thinking, guess it was just put there for cool looks, top middle is the title.
from left to right, it's oldest by newest

i also hate the 2nd, its so dark what was i thinking wtf
you defo found a consistent lighting style with these two
g1GRpXF.png

this one is the coolest though
F7Ab6Mf.png

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
On holiday this week, not much internet where I’m at

Will do the review next on Sunday or next Monday, submit multiple (up to 2) if you’d like

Bye

Reactions: List

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
T6GJp75.jpg

might not look like the most impressive thing i've ever made but this is probably the thing i've spent the most time on a pose because my attention span is asshole. in post i also manually cropped everything with the lasso tool (that took an hour alone) for the depth of field.

alternate because i like black and white (although i think this one makes the roses bleed into the background a bit too much)
MhnYpjP.png

Last edited:

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
please say cap this should take 5 seconds
i am fully aware of how to automate it but it never looks nearly as good when you already have a radiant or bouncing light applied that will also get swept away. plus i manually added and drew in a few pixels of branches that got lost in anti aliasing. this my friend is manual perfection done to the highest credence of ocd and retardation.

Dust

Neutrino
Nebulae
T6GJp75.jpg

might not look like the most impressive thing i've ever made but this is probably the thing i've spent the most time on a pose because my attention span is asshole. in post i also manually cropped everything with the lasso tool (that took an hour alone) for the depth of field.

alternate because i like black and white (although i think this one makes the roses bleed into the background a bit too much)
MhnYpjP.png

Could you post an unedit version please? I'm curious

Danny

Visual Powerhouse
Nebulae
T6GJp75.jpg

MhnYpjP.png
I used to spend ages cutting around stuff to use DOF more effectively, found some good techniques idk if they’ll help:

1. If you’re on SFM, you can actually remap the range of the Aperture/Depth of Field sliders to higher ranges by right clicking on the slider. This can basically rule out the entire lasso process if you don’t mind the quality of the blur on SFM. If you right click the main view screen it should come up with some kind of post processes menu selection and you can change the bit rate or something of the lens / motion blur from here as well. Changing this to 64x should make the quality better. If you’re on GMOD I think there are some good custom camera workshop addons for poster making :^).

2. Greenscreens / chroma keying. When I used to make posters I would lasso stuff (parts of scenes, or character models) all the time so I could change where they would be on the poster more easily in post editing (idk if you remember the poster for Toride, or Wasteland). Using chroma keying techniques (just putting a green/red/blue screen behind the models) made the process much easier especially when cutting around models. There are some workshop addons floating around for SFM and GMOD for this. Only problem is that it can add a lot of time into the process if you’re constantly making individual pieces

3. Polygonal lasso > Normal lasso

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Dust

Neutrino
Nebulae
I used to spend ages cutting around stuff to use DOF more effectively, found some good techniques idk if they’ll help:

1. If you’re on SFM, you can actually remap the range of the Aperture/Depth of Field sliders to higher ranges by right clicking on the slider. This can basically rule out the entire lasso process if you don’t mind the quality of the blur on SFM. If you right click the main view screen it should come up with some kind of post processes menu selection and you can change the bit rate or something of the lens / motion blur from here as well. Changing this to 64x should make the quality better. If you’re on GMOD I think there are some good custom camera workshop addons for poster making :^).

2. Greenscreens / chroma keying. When I used to make posters I would lasso stuff (parts of scenes, or character models) all the time so I could change where they would be on the poster more easily in post editing (idk if you remember the poster for Toride, or Wasteland). Using chroma keying techniques (just putting a green/red/blue screen behind the models) made the process much easier especially when cutting around models. There are some workshop addons floating around for SFM and GMOD for this. Only problem is that it can add a lot of time into the process if you’re constantly making individual pieces

3. Polygonal lasso > Normal lasso

Sent from my iPhone

Much easier technique for GMOD is simply to make a render where everything except the models you want to isolate are painted in black with the help of the color and material tool

It's what I use to make a mask layer for the sky, for highlights on characters, If I want separate renders for the foreground and background or to isolate models for easier photoshop edits on them

JPd3Lun.png

WN8xsUL.png

uUudeXJ.png

R3Bzsot.png

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
Much easier technique for GMOD is simply to make a render where everything except the models you want to isolate are painted in black with the help of the color and material tool

It's what I use to make a mask layer for the sky, for highlights on characters, If I want separate renders for the foreground and background or to isolate models for easier photoshop edits on them

JPd3Lun.png

WN8xsUL.png

uUudeXJ.png

R3Bzsot.png
it was honestly mainly an excuse for me to get to play with and tweak the very fine details of the picture. while im sure it would've saved me some time and looked EXACTLY the same to anyone else im almost entirely sure that because of the way i try to add bounce lighting after im done, half of what i make is going to be cropped by the hand of god regardless of how i do it.

this really is insignificant stuff that only matters to me - especially when i overlap one layer at a time rather than everything being in one picture
i've gotten this advice before and honestly i probably wont ever make it easier for myself. i appreciate all the kind techniques though.

for reference, i've added a glow effect to the whole image, then i crop the flower to a very rough sketch then i move everything over to a top layer. now i can finely crop the flower manually, while the layer underneath keeps a gradual glow of the same colors.

(sorry for low quality this was after i added film grain and i cant find the original where it was a lot more imposed)
so while this faint glow on the outside of the flower that bounces light still matters to me.
hx1kOGw.png

any wand tool or other layer that isolates just that picture doesnt care
4Apv8xS.png

which is why its a post processing issue rather than about what i can do ingame to solve it, or even in post processing to solve it, even though the difference would probably be entirely minimal. hence why i dont overlay one on top of the other.

anyway it doesnt really matter, as far as technique post goes, i just enjoy fucking with it my way
[doublepost=1629221070][/doublepost]
also i love this photo for some dumb reason i made this out of it it just fits so well
Qch4XSB.png

shibe

Molecule
Nebulae

JPd3Lun.png

WN8xsUL.png

uUudeXJ.png

R3Bzsot.png
how do you make the white and black mask image in gmod? i needed it for lighting but couldn't figure it out

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
how do you make the white and black mask image in gmod? i needed it for lighting but couldn't figure it out
use gm_black
mat_fullbright 0
;
download glow material tool
make everything you want in the later thst material

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
ok i finally got lightbouncing to work, took inspiration from this still from a documentary about afghanistan:
KtW9ixV.png
p.png

'tis far from perfect and it's not really an amazing scene it was more just trying to used to the render process

some of the shadows are really fucked for some reason

john

barbecue chips aint shit
Nebulae
ok i finally got lightbouncing to work, took inspiration from this still from a documentary about afghanistan:
KtW9ixV.png
p.png

'tis far from perfect and it's not really an amazing scene it was more just trying to used to the render process

some of the shadows are really fucked for some reason
jGFOkVN.png

img