Denied Rework the Scoreboard for Resistance vs Combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
if you need immersion that badly, just never open the scoreboard tab

some of us need it for shit like running events, checking to see if an admin is on (for PM's), etc

Reactions: List

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
no one is going to charswap because a few cops are on

if you saw 6 OTA hanging around you wouldn't stick around because no one is "just" on 6 OTA for no reason

that's the distinction
if i see 6 ota or 6 cops on i dont stop what im doing because i created my character (who is a citizen in a warzone) with the intent that they will be participating in the conflict

war is hell but you are roleplaying being in a warzone, so accept the risk or miss out on the RP of actually fearing the opposing side

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
if i see 6 ota or 6 cops on i dont stop what im doing because i created my character (who is a citizen in a warzone) with the intent that they will be participating in the conflict

war is hell but you are roleplaying being in a warzone, so accept the risk or miss out on the RP of actually fearing the opposing side

i created my character with express intent that they will not be participating in the conflict
because i am deathly afraid of conflict
i am avoiding conflict for mental health reasons

i don't want to walk outside the shanty town and risk losing my character because I'm captured and turned into a stalker

Erkor

Narrative/Lore Management
Nebulae
worm stalker
I think we have different views on this matter, because most of what you said there sounds fine to me, but fair enough.
I could literally re-create the logic Erkor used and apply it to a hunter and it'd still work.

There is a fundamental difference between a hunter, elite soldiers, and a core faction such as base OTA, Civil Protection, and citizens.

Elite soldiers have exclusively been used as conflict drivers. The extent of their involvement in the day-to-day roleplay happenings has been minimal. All they have done is facilitate the transhumanization process for Combine characters and serve as powerful antagonists when conflict arises, for example: The transhumanization facility raid.

Hunters and other synths are much the same: They do not passively roleplay and interact with one another. Their presence is almost entirely a gameplay one: A synth appears to kill, and then it leaves. It is not a 'true character', as some people would say, and instead serves as a tool for engagements. Revealing a synth on the scoreboard will be an invariably demoralizing thing for that reason, exactly: People are allergic to character loss and risk, and thus seek to avoid these risks as much as possible. If they see that there is a perceived advantage, they will not do something.

THE PROBLEM APPEARS when you try to do the same thing to core factions. Civil Protection is not the "evil overpowered boogeyman" it was in cityRP. It is not a tool to facilitate citizen roleplay (lol). It is the backbone of one of the two core factions of the server, much like how citizens are the backbone of the other.

If I cannot see whomever else is online, I cannot gauge whether I am allowed to plan an incursion of a specific kind. Since you're so driven for fear and immersion, let me put it this way:

John Anderson, a veteran resistance member, comes online, and sees there is a good amount of people that he knows online. He finds them and rallies them together, beginning to plot an incursion upon the Civil Protection base. He convinces his allies that in spite of the risk of death, they can at least weaken the enemy and bounce before things get too bad.

They move out. They travel across the wasteland of rp_apocalypse, eventually grouping up by the crest of the hill just across the Combine base. They peek over and see nobody but the turrets. This must be easy! They move in, engaging the turrets to knock them over. Two people are killed due to bad positioning and turret focus. An admin permanently kills them.

The problem is that there are no Civil Protection players online. They have raided an empty base. In fact, they've just wasted time. Two people have died to gameplay mechanics because they erroneously believed Civil Protection players were online.
I can make up more scenarios adjacent to this if you're still not convinced that this is a bad idea.

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
worm stalker

There is a fundamental difference between a hunter, elite soldiers, and a core faction such as base OTA, Civil Protection, and citizens.

Elite soldiers have exclusively been used as conflict drivers. The extent of their involvement in the day-to-day roleplay happenings has been minimal. All they have done is facilitate the transhumanization process for Combine characters and serve as powerful antagonists when conflict arises, for example: The transhumanization facility raid.

Hunters and other synths are much the same: They do not passively roleplay and interact with one another. Their presence is almost entirely a gameplay one: A synth appears to kill, and then it leaves. It is not a 'true character', as some people would say, and instead serves as a tool for engagements. Revealing a synth on the scoreboard will be an invariably demoralizing thing for that reason, exactly: People are allergic to character loss and risk, and thus seek to avoid these risks as much as possible. If they see that there is a perceived advantage, they will not do something.

THE PROBLEM APPEARS when you try to do the same thing to core factions. Civil Protection is not the "evil overpowered boogeyman" it was in cityRP. It is not a tool to facilitate citizen roleplay (lol). It is the backbone of one of the two core factions of the server, much like how citizens are the backbone of the other.

If I cannot see whomever else is online, I cannot gauge whether I am allowed to plan an incursion of a specific kind. Since you're so driven for fear and immersion, let me put it this way:

John Anderson, a veteran resistance member, comes online, and sees there is a good amount of people that he knows online. He finds them and rallies them together, beginning to plot an incursion upon the Civil Protection base. He convinces his allies that in spite of the risk of death, they can at least weaken the enemy and bounce before things get too bad.

They move out. They travel across the wasteland of rp_apocalypse, eventually grouping up by the crest of the hill just across the Combine base. They peek over and see nobody but the turrets. This must be easy! They move in, engaging the turrets to knock them over. Two people are killed due to bad positioning and turret focus. An admin permanently kills them.

The problem is that there are no Civil Protection players online. They have raided an empty base. In fact, they've just wasted time. Two people have died to gameplay mechanics because they erroneously believed Civil Protection players were online.
I can make up more scenarios adjacent to this if you're still not convinced that this is a bad idea.
Like I agree with you and I hate this suggestion BUTTTT...

You could counter this by having a system that indicates that the minimum threshold for Combine is on or otherwise, like a 'There are X Cps on as of this moment'. or something.

Numbers

ok
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
this suggestion won't be happening in the context of the server.. you may reserve your paragraphs for the next one

Status
Not open for further replies.