Zig's Map Development Thread

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Yep. This feels like hl2.
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing to you- the goal was for sure to replicate some of the environments but to surely mix it's own feeling and atmosphere. We wanted to make a map we actually wanted to play on.

Reactions: List

Spine

All toasters toast toast.
Nebulae
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing to you- the goal was for sure to replicate some of the environments but to surely mix it's own feeling and atmosphere. We wanted to make a map we actually wanted to play on.
Compared to the current map. In my opinion, you did a good job creating the feeling of half life 2. The idea of eastern architecture being present is kind of a big deal for me. You tried speakin to @Atle about the project?

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Compared to the current map. In my opinion, you did a good job creating the feeling of half life 2. The idea of eastern architecture being present is kind of a big deal for me.
Our ultimate idea was to make the map feel moody and deep in tone, but not exaggerate the combine architecture to make it too daunting. We found that a lot of maps had the tendency to be very metal in design, many parts of the map being made completely out or covered in metal. I decided the best way to go about this was to make sure that all of the buildings had the idea of being inhabited and possibly controlled, but also very mild in appearance. I used things like lights and slight details to signify Combine controlled areas, including general blue hues and yellow hues to give the player an idea of what kind of environment they were in.

The experiment was that players could somewhat know if the environment they were in was controlled or not based on color hue alone. I'm not sure if this idea has worked yet, it'll have to be something ironed out and proven in playtesting.

But overall, yes, the map is pretty similar in some areas and I did some hinting to several HL2 beta architectural design implements that can be seen in e3 terminal, and several of the other city maps. We wanted every building to have purpose and try to blend the environments as best as possible.
[doublepost=1505947630][/doublepost]No- I haven't spoken to anyone backend wise besides a few people @SpinE . To be fair, working with other mappers is a very tasking thing to do. Mappers tend to have different styles and ways they produce things, some people stick to specific grid sizes, some don't. You have to get used to that kind of thing, and when you even get used to that you have to agree on what gets put in the map and fuel each others ideas. Sasha and I are like bestfriends, so that's not really a problem with us, but many mappers refuse to work with other Mappers. I'd be happy to talk with @Alte about this project if he'd like, not that I'd have much to say.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I put new booth things in.
wgA29Kg.jpg

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Just a little minor update on the bar, I changed some textures and things but I still need to make this area feel a little more used and varied. It's a little too open right now for my tastes, but I'm working on filling it up with some more detail. I started a little bit by raising the ceiling and adding some dustmotes as well as retexturing it. I plan on letting some music play in here, but I'll sort that later.
95VTHFh.jpg

pNSCWxb.jpg

Baker

Mr. Mineside
Nebulae
Just a little minor update on the bar, I changed some textures and things but I still need to make this area feel a little more used and varied. It's a little too open right now for my tastes, but I'm working on filling it up with some more detail. I started a little bit by raising the ceiling and adding some dustmotes as well as retexturing it. I plan on letting some music play in here, but I'll sort that later.
95VTHFh.jpg

pNSCWxb.jpg
I really like this mood you set here. You planning on making this type of moody color pallet for the entire map or just this one select place?

Nova_

Electron
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I really like this mood you set here. You planning on making this type of moody color pallet for the entire map or just this one select place?

I'm hoping it's this. I've always wanted dark and moody/bleak interiors to be a centralized theme in mapping, as it makes moments of respite and happiness seem that much more important.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I'm hoping it's this. I've always wanted dark and moody/bleak interiors to be a centralized theme in mapping, as it makes moments of respite and happiness seem that much more important.
Good question, I actually plan on setting this atmosphere for a large portion of the map now that the map has resulting and turned itself down to a more dusk type setting. The bar is a great example of some of the run-down and more less desirable areas that will be featured in the map. You should be able to tell what's a more government or civilian building in the map based off of it's lighting and textures alone. This bar in specific is a more civilian hang-out spot, so it's a lot shittier in it's interior.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Just a couple more bar polishes, thought I'd crunch some in while I'm dead tired. Still need to polish some things and light the room up just a little more.

D0872D329AA6E0A51FFF76BB21FF189A486E76E0

4AEA63D77E54A2B4F9AD3C9B3BC2C62CE839E6E6

I even added a room where people can take roleplay shits.
3EC690CA25525F05819BE01DB780A66AA5B14277

Spine

Nebulae
How big is the map again? Would it be possible to sustain like 100 players?

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
How big is the map again? Would it be possible to sustain like 100 players?
I don't believe it's the size of City 24- but I think it can house a good amount if you prioritize and spread things properly. It's hard to reply to something like that when the map isn't fully finished yet. I'd say by the end it's plausible to be able to fit 75-100 tightly.

Baker

Mr. Mineside
Nebulae
I don't believe it's the size of City 24- but I think it can house a good amount if you prioritize and spread things properly. It's hard to reply to something like that when the map isn't fully finished yet. I'd say by the end it's plausible to be able to fit 75-100 tightly.
It's good because imo the streets should feel crowded.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
It's good because imo the streets should feel crowded.
Well- look at it this way. The main plaza and the roads are designed for APCs to roam around freely and easily. I tried to do as much as possible to make sure that the map wasn't too spread out- but not too pushed together hence me rebuilding entire sections of the map. The reason P15 and the canals are being re-done is due to the fact that the areas felt too open and unused.

Spine

Nebulae
Well- look at it this way. The main plaza and the roads are designed for APCs to roam around freely and easily. I tried to do as much as possible to make sure that the map wasn't too spread out- but not too pushed together hence me rebuilding entire sections of the map. The reason P15 and the canals are being re-done is due to the fact that the areas felt too open and unused.
Compared to i17, how big is it?

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Compared to i17, how big is it?
Here's an older version of the map from the sky- showing it's main routes.
F86E1072BA84EE6EE5F5BFB2A5B31A21688122BC

[doublepost=1506196030][/doublepost]I couldn't really give you an answer on that.

D

Deleted member 1435

This is sick. Honestly, this is how i always imagined a Combine controlled city. Not full on citadel-metal coverted corruscant ripoff, just a normal dilapidated city with some areas enforced for combine use. Also the fact it uses Eastern architecture it really gives it a HL2 feel.

Can't wait to see more.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
This is sick. Honestly, this is how i always imagined a Combine controlled city. Not full on citadel-metal coverted corruscant ripoff, just a normal dilapidated city with some areas enforced for combine use. Also the fact it uses Eastern architecture it really gives it a HL2 feel.

Can't wait to see more.
Thank you, keep your eye out. I'll be posting more soon.

zigbomb

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Haven't compiled this yet, but I'm working on a primary housing block for citizens at the moment. This block is located in P15,
L4tw9U8.jpg