s&box - Garry's Mod 2 (?)

Gungeoneer

Your neighbourly friendly guy.
Nebulae
s&box - Garry's Mod 2 (?)
Kwlz5ksK_400x400.png

s&box is the follow up game for the famous Garry's Mod, created from Facepunch Studios and made in Source 2.

(Garry Newman does not like people calling s&box "Garry's Mod 2", but many people do anyways because it essentially is Garry's Mod 2)

The game has been in development for quite some time, but with the release of Half Life:Alyx the initial plan - to release this successor to Garry's Mod in the Unreal 4 Engine - has been thrown out and the plan changed so that Garry Newman was given access to the Source 2 dev kit whereas Facepunch Studios has decided that they would remake the entire game on this engine.

Now, what are the reasons one should switch from Garry's Mod to s&box upon release?
There's many factors which, in my opinion, make a switch more than worthwhile.
First things first, Source 2. I am sure you have all seen gameplay of Half Life:Alyx and what the engine is capable of. The graphics are insane, if your PC allows it you can read extremely small texts at the back of items, for example. The collision of specific items is way better, I'll go post a video here of the differences - you as the player - would notice.

Another thing which I believe our mappers are very happy about would be the implementation of extreme map sizes, whereas a proper City and Outlands is no longer just a dream, but a reality. Garry Newman has not named any specific limitations but has issued statements like:
9d3bfca7e0621074f3b6b1c8c862c66ef5d114a7.png

6d65da15dd612eeb91e335aba8f1de88feb574f7.png

That leaves much room for interpretation, but for anyone who has played Rust or PUBG you know damn well that the map size is extreme and will most likely offer an experience like no other - one that is most certainly suitable for roleplay.

Something which made me very happy was the implementation of Virtual Reality. I know that some people in this community have bought a VR Headset solely because of Half Life:Alyx, which is understandable of course. Garry Newman specified that he would enjoy if people can play in their preferred playstyle, which means that VR and keyboard players will be able to play together in a server, if the gamemode allows it. There will be VR specialized gamemodes but also some, that won't support VR. This is what Garry's official statement regarding VR is:
Nf2VVyc.jpg

Imagine the possibilities this feature alone creates. I, personally, am a big fan of VR and I could actually see it working well in roleplaying servers or many other gamemodes.

The list could go on and on, but for now, I'd love for other people to comment their thoughts onto this thread or any additional piece of information, which I would gladly add onto the thread. Opinions are more than welcome!

Facepunch has just sent out the dev kit for s&box, so it will still take quite some time to lift off, as Garry's Mod had a few years more time than s&box to prosper, thanks to committed modders and mappers alike. There's also two more videos that I will insert here that, in my opinion, are definitely worth watching to get a bit of a better impression on s&box.

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
if it becomes filled with dark RP gamemodes demanding I donate for super duper VIP trial mod+++ (comes with custom class) rank I'l die

That aside, S&BOX is interesting and I do plan to at the very least try it after gamemodes have begun popping up.

Reactions: List

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
if it becomes filled with dark RP gamemodes demanding I donate for super duper VIP trial mod+++ (comes with custom class) rank I'l die

That aside, S&BOX is interesting and I do plan to at the very least try it after gamemodes have begun popping up.
Yeah, the pay2win darkrp servers are absolute trash and I honestly doubt it'll become better anytime soon. Something which is quite interesting, however, is that Facepunch Studios is taking a different approach to mods whereas the creators can be rewarded with money for their contribution to the workshop - so if we're lucky, the pay2win aspect might die down a little.
XLBpt1C.jpg

And yeah, whole thing sounds awesome in theory, but like I mentioned - it will take months, if not even a year or two to reach the status Garry's Mod has at the moment. We can't expect many gamemodes upon release - I mean, many devs need to get comfortable with source 2 before they can even attempt to make new gamemodes. So it'll take a while for sure.

Last edited:

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
Someone told me ages ago the devs have no intention of facilitating RP gamemodes in Sandbox, is that true?

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
garry hates RP
yeah thats what i heard as well, can't blame him frankly i hate it too even tho i continue to play

i hope they dont completely rule it out tho, would be a shame for gamemodes like this to die. even tho im fully on board with there being an end to the 100,00 identical DarkRP servers

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
also is it just me or do the models look like softbody physics models

like it really looks like if i blasted one with a shotgun half its head would blow off and giblets would go everywhere like im in fucking Paint the Town Red

the fact that they're not softbody models just makes them shit

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
Keys have been going out for months, currently over 200 people have keys and a majority of them aren't developers of any sort.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they've been rolling out foor 2 months or so now, apologies. Yeah, many people sadly are not devs - however those keys are only meant for devs or people who have the intention of bug hunting. Sadly enough, enough people don't really care that much and straight up lie on the application form.

NqzHF5A.png

YOU WHAT.
What is really important to look at is that only the top mods will be rewarded, so sadly newer devs - or really good devs with great ideas don't have the specific publicity for their mod to blow up and have them earn money with. Could be wrong with that, though.

Someone told me ages ago the devs have no intention of facilitating RP gamemodes in Sandbox, is that true?
It's very well possible that Facepunch won't officially add any RP modes, afaik they are also working on their own gamemodes which they want on the game upon release. I highly doubt that the Facepunch Team will make active guidelines that prohibit RP, noone gains from that, that'd be dumb from a commercial and from a community standpoint when you start prohibiting game styles.

also is it just me or do the models look like softbody physics models

like it really looks like if i blasted one with a shotgun half its head would blow off and giblets would go everywhere like im in fucking Paint the Town Red

the fact that they're not softbody models just makes them shit
I'm more than sure that gore-y mods will definitely be added by the community, or maybe even in the official developing process.

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
Sadly enough, enough people don't really care that much and straight up lie on the application form.
That's not the case. A lot of keys are being given to friends of certain devs that suck up to them so it's no surprise.
[doublepost=1623266388][/doublepost]
What is really important to look at is that only the top mods will be rewarded, so sadly newer devs - or really good devs with great ideas don't have the specific publicity for their mod to blow up and have them earn money with. Could be wrong with that, though.
I'll believe it when I see it actually happen.

Nick

OK DOING
Nebulae
Not related to S&Box but why does Garry hate roleplay?

Gungeoneer

Nebulae
That's not the case. A lot of keys are being given to friends of certain devs that suck up to them so it's no surprise.
That, aswell. I believe some devs were given up to 5 keys, right? So it's also friends that are playtesting these gamemodes.

I'll believe it when I see it actually happen.
That's a big if, of course, but it'd definitely be a good incentive to reward devs for creating mods.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
Well, I certainly hope the game will grow and provide a good space for gamemodes and communities both old and new

The main menu really reminds me of Roblox, though:
sandbox.png