Suggestion Serial Numbers and Evidence

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
As it currently stands, when a weapon is checked in evidence for it's serial number it remains visible to anyone who has the gun in their pockets or can otherwise move their cursor over it. This makes it simple for criminals to know their weapon got checked as well as for cops, when patting individuals down, to see the weapon's serial number.

I propose that instead of a weapon's serial number always being displayed after it got inspected, instead it gets a 'tag' that has the serial number on it. Functionally not different from how it is now except maybe a description change in this circumstance. Anyone can then right-click on this weapon and in the drop-down menu select "Remove tag" or "Rip tag" which will then return the gun to its original, non-visible serial number state.

Law Enforcement Departments can then maybe add SoPs that this tag may not be removed by anyone except the owner, or some other variation of such SoPs if not having no SoPs about it at all.

Warwick

Mum Looks Like Tracy Beaker
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Pointless addition, honestly. The second your gun gets ran by a cop, you toss it in almost every instance. I can’t think that this would benefit anyone for the sake of the code. Also, serials are something everyone should be able to see anyway - they’re literally on the gun.

Reactions: List

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
Pointless addition, honestly. The second your gun gets ran by a cop, you toss it in almost every instance. I can’t think that this would benefit anyone for the sake of the code. Also, serials are something everyone should be able to see anyway - they’re literally on the gun.
It's hard to see without proper tools (or so I believe), by which I mean maybe a magnifying glass or such. I'm not making this suggestion in an effort to hide from citizens/non-cops what your gun's serial number is. Just that it shouldn't be seen at a glance without proper tools.

So let's assume a situation this would change, you're a criminal but one time you get investigated for a crime you didn't do. Your gun is suspected of firing the rounds so it gets analyzed in forensics. The serial number doesn't match that crime so you get released though now your gun proudly displays it's own serial number.

Later, for whatever reason you fired your gun in conjunction with some crime. Cops find casings, serialize them and some later search or maybe one of them noted it down when searched at the scene find the casings match your gun.

I just think that being able to control whether or not a gun you possess displays it's serial number in a manner easily visible (such as a tag) would be a good addition generally.

However, I do know it is at best a small QoL change so definitely not high pro.

The second your gun gets ran by a cop, you toss it in almost every instance.
As for reading this, i more-so mean it doesn't outright have to be. Will it remain the smart option? sure, but to have the option is to be nice.

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
It's hard to see without proper tools (or so I believe), by which I mean maybe a magnifying glass or such. I'm not making this suggestion in an effort to hide from citizens/non-cops what your gun's serial number is. Just that it shouldn't be seen at a glance without proper tools.
To correct myself as I have been talking to someone with more gun knowledge than I, the serial number itself is easy to read. So seeing as the server treats the serial number more as a gun's fingerprints (as in, you can get a serial number from casings) this suggestion just means that what's 'on the tag' as proposed is some identifier for it's fingerprints, again, something I think should be removable.

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I would instead propose that methods be introduced to scratch a serial number so the firearms can't be linked back to individuals, if they know how to do it

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I would instead propose that methods be introduced to scratch a serial number so the firearms can't be linked back to individuals, if they know how to do it
based suggestion

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
means that owning a gun with it scratched off would be an automatic felony
would rather not see casings lead to the gun's ID but alas the mechanics are not there to attribute much else to it since there's no calibers to rely upon for weapons right now

having a gun have its serial number added to your profile upon purchasing it, however... means you can remove the current system and replace it with whatever else, but that's further down the line once more detective-y things are added and you can't just get a number from a casing

Pyromaniac

rob-approved!
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
would rather not see casings lead to the gun's ID but alas the mechanics are not there to attribute much else to it since there's no calibers to rely upon for weapons right now
I believe it is meant to replicate how a bullet fired by a gun, can with forensics get matched back to the weapon. So maybe less so a serial and moreso an 'imprint ID'?. Seeing as that's, to my knowledge, the only way to acquire a weapon's serial number currently.

Warwick

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I believe it is meant to replicate how a bullet fired by a gun, can with forensics get matched back to the weapon. So maybe less so a serial and moreso an 'imprint ID'?. Seeing as that's, to my knowledge, the only way to acquire a weapon's serial number currently.
Know what'd be cool? If the casing gave a full serial, but began losing random digits the longer it was left on scene, so the longer it takes for evidence to be acquired, the harder it is to solve the case.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Know what'd be cool? If the casing gave a full serial, but began losing random digits the longer it was left on scene, so the longer it takes for evidence to be acquired, the harder it is to solve the case.

we Shadows of Doubt in this bitch

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae

Would rather see other details go off with time - You can trace back the serial number to the owner, but if you can't match the prints to the gun or the person doesn't have rests of gunpowder any more, how can you prove it was fired by them?