Official Guide SHODAN's Basic Guide to Medical RP

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SHODAN, Nov 17, 2017.

1. SHODAN

SHODAN 'Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network'

Nebulae:
    A Basic guide to Medical Roleplay and the scripts that go along with it
    Contents:
    0 - Introduction
    1 - Your character and their training
    2 - The scripts you may come across
    3 - Creativity in your Medical RP
    4 - Change-log

0 - Introduction:
    This guide has been developed to help give an insight to players that wish to get involved with perhaps the Union Medical faction or as a Resistance Medic. It covers most of the medical scripts that can be found in the game, as well as when you can get a little more creative with your medical RP. For clarification this guide should be taken from the person administering the medical attention, rather than the person receiving it. Check out the guide HERE for more information on pain RP. This guide is also supposed to show medical RP from the most basic level. For more depth and extreme detail I recommend checking out @Red Dress's fantastic compendium HERE.

1 - Your Character and their Training:
    The first thing to understand is your character and backstory - the amount of training they have had in the past will limit what your character can feasibly do - however this doesn't prevent your character from working with existing medics to become more experianced. The 'levels' of training have been split up below:

A - Little to know medical experience:
    These characters are people that have never had any kind of training when it comes to first aid and would find it hard to diagnose what is wrong with a patient. They should limit themselves to patching up light scrapes and bruising or perhaps handing over a tablet of paracetamol for a headache.

B - First aid training:
    Characters that have had basic first aid training will be more effective when it comes to cuts and flesh wounds and will most likely be able to diagnose more obvious signs of injury (how someone acts due to blood loss, weak/strong pulse and so on). It doesn't mean they should be jumping in to perform surgery and instead are more useful for patient stabilization while waiting for someone with more experience.

C - Clinical experience:
    Examples of this would range from Registered Nurses and other similar professions; this is where we really start to head into the more advanced areas of medical RP. They can prescribe a wide range of medicine, accurately diagnose what is wrong with their patients and treat more extreme injuries. These characters are when its a good idea to start whipping up the NHS website in an alternate tab to try and keep your RP accurate to some degree.

D - Highly trained:
    Wounds do not worry your characters, you are able to diagnose anything given the right equipment and you can even start dabbling in surgery so long as the conditions are correct. Most of the characters under the scope of this training level tend to have backgrounds as doctors or have at least worked with them for a long portion of their lives.

The level of your characters training is important when it comes to your Medical RP, as it can help get other people involved and actually turn it from one person typing long /mes to a few people working together on a patient - making for fairly interesting RP.

2 - The scripts you may come across:
    There are various medical scripts you will come across during your adventures and for the purpose of guide they will be split into two sections - medications and physical treatments. They will be listed from least effective to most below:

Band-aids/Adhesive Bandages/Plasters:

[​IMG]
    From an IC standpoint this script is a box containing eight or so hello kitty plasters with a plastic backing to keep them sterile. To use you simply remove the plastic backing and stick them over the minor scrape or cut the person may have to keep it clean and prevent any further bleeding. So simple even characters with level A training can use them however they are only suitable for very minor applications.

UU Bandage/Sterilized Bandage/Bandage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bandages are probably one of the most common and versatile medical scripts you will come across, and have many uses across the Medical RP scene. Used to support sprained ankles, cover sutured wounds or even just to hold dressings in place their limits are only defined by your amount of imagination. They typically would come in a small roll or in a packet and are comparable to a strip of cloth that can be wrapped to cover up an area. They can be used by themselves for light injuries or in combination with other medical scripts for more serious ones.

(NB: The image for sterilized bandage is missing, however is just a red version of the green bandage.)

Medical Gel:

[​IMG]
    Medical Gel is exclusively produced by the Universal Union and is their answer to many minor/medium first aid applications. The white part of the container unclips to form a depressible nozzle which can then be used to directly apply the gel into any wounds. This has a triple effect of relieving pain, aiding with clotting and keeping the area sterile and so is very useful for the short term, such as mid combat. For the long term proper medical attention is still required - whether that be surgical attention or just proper dressings.

First Aid Kit (FAK):

[​IMG]
    The Resistances answer to the Union's Medical Kit, the general purpose equipment is typically found on most first response rebel medics. This belt-mounted medical pouch contains a wide range of equipment to deal with a diverse range of situations ranging from gunshot wounds, zombie slashes, shrapnel wounds and so on. A basic First Aid Kit would most likely include plasters, gauze dressings, eye dressings, bandages of varying types, safety pins, gloves, tweezers, scissors, cleansing wipes, tape, thermometer, rash cream, spray for insect bites, antiseptic cream, painkillers, eye wash, distilled water and antihistamines (allergy medication).

(NB: You can be a little creative with the contents, as not every medical kit is going to be the same. Some might even include tourniquets, slings etc.)

Medical Kit:
    [​IMG]
    The standard Union Medical kit carried by civil protection. This gear includes some sterile gloves, bandages, suturing needle and thread, scissors, painkillers as well as a vial of medical gel strapped to the side. This kit tends to be designed for more use during combat and again much like the medical gel is for a quick and effective temporary fix rather than an end solution. While not being able to treat as wide a range of injures like the FAK, it makes up for its speed and ease of use.

Surgical Kit:

[​IMG]
    The best of the best - this bag contains all of the equipment you will need when operating on a critically wounded patient. This could be attempting to set a broken bone, treating deep gunshot wounds, managing internal bleeding and so on. This equipment is generally reserved for the highest trained medical professionals due to the extensive knowledge required to use it and the rarity of finding such gear. A list of equipment found in such a bag could include a scalpel, forceps, retractor, hemostat, scissors and so on. A surgical would most likely have its used reserved to field hospitals or clinics as surgery does take a while and should be done in a sterile area.

Bleach/Disinfectant:

[​IMG]
    The least useful when it comes to directly treating patients, this chemical is mainly used to disinfect bandages and to keep your work area sterile. Can be fairly useful in passive RP if you want to clean up a bloody worktop or perhaps your tools after a messy operation. An alternative use is drinking in an attempt to kill yourself if everything gets a little bit too much.

(NB: Using bleach to clean anything metal will most likely lead to corrosion of your tools or metal surfaces. Disinfectant should be reserved for this purpose.)

Steroids:

[​IMG]
    Steroids have two main uses in the medical world, the first of which can be used in order to reduce the swelling of inflammation of certain inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, systemic vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) or myositis (inflammation of a muscle). A different type of steroid known as anabolic steroids can also be used to aid in the increase of muscle mass and strength during workouts - useful when turning your malnourished citizen into a resistance fighter quickly.

Paracetamol:

[​IMG]
    Paracetamol is used as a mild/medium painkiller and is fairly hard to overdose on, meaning it is perfect for use in most medical kits as they can be administered with little to no training for an almost immediate effect. The downside of this however is that they are not very strong rendering them useless for extremely painful wounds such as gunshot or shrapnel. They are most definitely not suitable for surgical use; popping someone two paracetamol before cutting their leg open is /not/ going to reduce their pain.

Broad-Spectrum Antibiotics:

[​IMG]
    BSA's can either come in tablet or injection form and are most useful when attempting to treat bacterial infections, either in the blood or in the form of an infected wound. They are very useful when in situations such as the resistance medic where they may lack the equipment to effectively diagnose the type of an infection and can therefore administer BSA's under close observation - hopefully treating the infection. This type of medication should be reserved for more experienced health care professionals and in certain cases will need to be prescribed over a period of time to fully eradicate an infection.

(NB: Antibiotics are only effective against bacterium - using them in an attempt to treat viral or fungal infections will yield no results bar the waste of resources)

Morphine:

[​IMG]
    Morphine is a very strong an effective painkiller - useful for situations where the patient may be in a vast amount of pain which could be during an operation, after they have just suffered a severe wound etc. The highly dangerous and addictive nature of morphine means it should be relatively strictly controlled to prevent substance abuse. Morphine is also fairly easy to overdose on which is why it should be reserved to healthcare professionals or only handed out to medics in controlled amounts - such as single use syringes.

3 - Creativity in your Medical RP:

When performing medical RP it is important to take note of the area you are in, the gear you have on you and use it to your advantage. You can be as creative as you want in your /mes to make them not only interesting to read, but actually quite interesting to type out. A good example of this would be performing an emergency treatment in a bar and sending someone off to grab a kitchen knife out of the cooking area in order to help pry some shrapnel out of a wound. Or even using a bandage and duct tape to pack a wound and strap it up tight to help prevent someone from bleeding out when supplies are scarce. Obviously this is more relevant to resistance medics than to UM - but even they can be a little creatively if they like.

An important side-note here is do not overstep your own abilities or the equipment you would feasibly have on you. Pulling a whole surgical kit out of a bandage is a little silly where as if you are in a clinic it would be acceptable to believe that there are medical tools around. However if your character has only done basic first aid, its a little silly to believe that they could just jump into open heart surgery after witnessing it once. A few common types of wounds you may find can be found below:

A - Incisions:
    Incisions are when a victim receives a relatively clean cut with smooth edges and are the easiest types to treat. They can be caused by sharp objects such as knives, broken glass or even just scissors and typically result in minimal scarring when healed.

B - Lacerations:
    Lacerations are when a victim receives a cut with jagged edges and are harder to treat than incisions. They typically form over hard bony areas of the body and can be caused by being hit hard by a blunt object when the skin is liable to being torn rather than cut. Headcrabs, zombies and barbed wire will sometimes cause these injuries.

C - Abrasions:
    Abrasions are caused when the skin is scraped off due to rubbing against a rough surface, and are usually superficial at best. Most common culprits of abrasions would be falling against a tarmac surface.

D - Avulsions:
    Avulsions are caused when the skin on a part of the body gets snagged on something while in motion, causing the skin to separate from the muscle beneath it. This is sometimes known as de-gloving and typically requires surgery to re-attach the skin.

E - Puncture:
    Puncture wounds are caused when a long slender object penetrates the body, such as when an individual steps on a nail or pin perhaps. There is typically only superficial bleeding which stops rather quickly however there is a small chance of infection with the enclosed pocket that forms during healing. Tetanus is normally a concern with puncture injuries.

F - Penetrating:
    Penetrating wounds are normally deep wounds which extend into internal body cavities or organs. Something like a gunshot is typically responsible when looking at the cause of these types of wounds and can lead to heavy amounts of internal bleeding and death if left unattended.

G- Contusions:
    Contusions or bruises can form when blood vessels are ruptured underneath the skin but the skin itself is not damaged - leading to a small pool of blood forming beneath the skins surface. Normally zero medical attention is required although ice can be applied to reduce pain and swelling

4 - Change-log:
    17/11/2017 - First Draft of Guide posted
    18/11/2017 - Slight title edits, added link to @Red Dress's amazing compendium.
    19/11/2017 - Notes added to bleach and BSA section under comment of @Lynx

#1 SHODAN, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • nebulous nebulous x 25
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I have not read a single fucking line, yet I salute you because you are indeed, a british hottie my good lady.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Russorigin

Russorigin Neutrino

Nebulae:
    I very good generalization and exemplification of medicalRP. The UM's medical compendium also explains medrp, perhaps in extreme detail, so good on you for making a guide in layman's terms.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  4. Pyromancer

Pyromancer doNT YOU KNOW how HARD DEVVING IS????

Nebulae:
    after watching the tragedy that was my medrp a few days back for around 40 straight minutes im guessing you made this lmao

• nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SHODAN

Nebulae:
    I did see that guide, and props to Red for making it - just reminded me I should probably leave a link for additional detail. This guide is more of an introduction and yes is quite basic rather than looking into extreme detail.

You are one of my inspirations - yes Pyro :smiley:

• nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pyromancer

Nebulae:
    to be fair ive never had to medrp before in my life and doing it under the gaze of literally the boss of the evf and his second in command triggered spaghetti modules

it could've been worse is what im saying

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  7. Mirukihoshi

Mirukihoshi internet therapist

Nebulae:
    ftfy ((((( yes I really did replace certain words in this whole copypasta to things about UM to make a stupid joke what the fuck im laughing at myself )))))

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  8. SHODAN

Nebulae:
    Ten out of fucking ten.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  9. Pyromancer

Nebulae:
    *** 'Lost' checks his other arm, with that being presumibly alright. He eyes the man's head, lifting his beanie to reveal a somewhat sizable head-wound, covered with a stained bandage.
    'Lost' whispers "Oh, shit."
    *** 'Lost' steps back, for a moment. He taps his mask, thinking of what to do.
    [LOOC] Kevin Fox: *Surgeon Simulator theme plays*
    'Lost' radios on freq 248.1: "...Lads? I need help, at the clinic.
    I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing."

oh u best believe i saved this shitfest

Merged:
    [LOOC] 'Lost': where the fuck is shodan when you need them

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  10. SHODAN

Nebulae:

'Busy'.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  11. Jimbo

Jimbo Rictal-Approved
    B A N N E D

Nebulae:
    sorry bro

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  12. Pyromancer

Nebulae:

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  13. glup shitto

glup shitto nobody

Nebulae:
    i learned all my medrp from ww3rp.. thanks for teaching @Pyromancer how to roleplay because i sure as hell couldnt

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. SHODAN

Nebulae:
    Its a long road ahead until @Pyromancer learns how to roleplay. I just shout at him and hope he does something good in the clinic.

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  15. Pyromancer

Nebulae:
    smh getting whipped by abusive thots

this is my life i guess

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  16. Lynx

Lynx Dig Down, and find faith.
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Never use Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) on metal surfaces or tools; as the bleach heavily corrodes the instrument, if you're going to use anything, use Chlorhexidine if you can find any.

Side note: Will not help viral or fungal infections.

I fucking adore you for understanding the differences.

Overall 9/10 guide, would sticky, @Blackquill.

- Medical Student in UK.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  17. SHODAN

Nebulae:
    The best thing is me not really having any /formal/ medical qualifications. I just find this stuff interesting. I have made the changes required and if considered for a sticky well - I would be honored @Blackquill.

I thank everyone that has contributed in any shape or form including @Erid, @Zach and @Killstar for a bit of proofreading on some parts I was a little uncertain on.

Edit:

Thank you @Pyromancer for being so bad you prompted me to use hours of my life on researching, taking screenshots and more for a guide on medical RP.

Couldn't of done it without you pal.

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  18. Pyromancer

Nebulae:
    fuck u

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  19. Blackquill

Blackquill Administrator
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    Stickied!

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  20. SHODAN

Nebulae:
    !!!!! Wooo! I'd give you a special happy rating for that but I don't have one - so have a neb instead :grinning:

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice