So I want to make a map.

nash

slimaaconroy-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I've seen people make maps and good looking scenery, and so I want to make some test maps and see what I can produce over time, it'll be nothing concrete such as a city map for the community, rather just maps I'll use for myself.

I want some answers to these questions if anyone is able handed:
  • what application should I use?
  • is there anything i should know before getting into making maps?
  • what kind of issues are there with the suggested apps?

thanks.

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
what application should I use?
hammer is the software used to make gmod related maps.
I suggest for that in paticular, to download the source sdk base 2013 - multiplayer from the steam tools section (in your library)

is there anything i should know before getting into making maps?
It can be a very long process to get maps release ready, in addition be aware that hammer is a largely obsolete editor, expect plenty of crashes and limitations, but if you can work around them, you'll be grand.

D

Deleted member 3672

I'm still learning the basics myself.

Start small, don't expect to make a massively popular map your first time. Try making a single room. Ok, now try adding detail to that room by following tutorials. Now, add another room and connect the two. Repeat and feel free to ask help from the more experienced mappers in the community :)

nash

slimaaconroy-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
hammer is the software used to make gmod related maps.
I suggest for that in paticular, to download the source sdk base 2013 - multiplayer from the steam tools section (in your library)

thanks, where can I get hammer?

Start small, don't expect to make a massively popular map your first time. Try making a single room. Ok, now try adding detail to that room by following tutorials. Now, add another room and connect the two. Repeat and feel free to ask help from the more experienced

yeah i was expecting to do this, start small and make it as good as I could. cheers for the advice.