Something a little different... But still creative. (WRITING)

The Dinosir

Proton
Nebulae
Right. So I am writing a book of sorts in the seclusion of my dark, dark room for... fun. It isn't anything related to nebulous so I am putting it into the 'Creative' section. this is just the first chapter so far, and it serves as an introduction to the world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I

The Sky

There comes a point in time where you would think the leaders of the world to come together and solve their problems, instead of making excuses and bickering. Even when the problems they cause create danger for the people of nations, they will deny the most obvious of facts, and if the problems they cause become exceptionally bad, they flee. This has always been the way of those in power. This will always be the way of those in power, and therefore this is the case today.

Before I was born into this world, a mass of fog had been creeping across Europe. Within hours it had turned the streets of cities barren, and drained the life from surrounding environments, turning once green plains to dustswept wastelands of decay. No. This wasn't something that happened overnight, this was something that could have been disallowed to happen, had the ones in control sought to stop their money-making machines and fix the problems that faced them. The build up to the smog was made obvious by the seemingly shorter days, the blotting out of the Sun was a good indication of how bad things were becoming, but still, the excuses were made again and again. Then the fog of decay rolled in; suffocating cities, and dramatically lowering the workforce for the money-machines. In the end: the problem fixed itself. However, the fixing of one problem will almost always create another, more elaborate problem, for which the solution is more obscure than the last. Throughout the ten year build up, the solution was simple: Turn off the factories. Now it's not so easy, for how do you remove a cloud the size of a continent? The Answer to that question of course; is that you don't. Instead you face the facts and see the world how it really is. The Age of Communication is over, the ties between nations have been severed, and the world has become much, much smaller. Humanity has entered a new Dark Age.

People grasped quite quickly that being on the surface was not a good idea; you either stayed in the tunnels, or you climbed to great heights above the cloud. For if you were caught at the base of the glass giants without a mask clasped to your face; you were certain to die sooner or later. Either through suffocation, or the internal damage the chemicals within the Cloud would cause. Needless to say, Humanity thrived in these conditions. I was one of these people.

Right now, I stand atop one of the tallest buildings ever to grace the Russian capital, taking in a breath of fresh air for the first time. The climb began at dawn ending just before mid-day. I broke through the rusty grey hatch to the roof around ten minutes ago, the few hours of climbing we about to be paid off, as just beyond this hatch lies something I have dreamt of for years. Clambering from that hatch was like something I had never experienced before; the bright sunlight shining onto my pale flesh, seeing the clear blue sky above the suffocating cloud below, something few have ever seen, and something many will never see in their lifetime. The final wonder of the world stood before me in all it's glory, come night, and I would be an observer to the cosmos, from this very spot. I basked in the glow of my parent star for nigh on thirty minutes before rising to my feet and removing my camera from it's housing. After all, this was something I may never see again. Many people these days knew nothing of the actual appearance of the cloud that surrounded them, and to be honest, neither did I, and curiosity got the better of me. The strong winds of the North screeched past, hampering mobility at this altitude greatly. Winds so strong that had I not been putting up a fight, would surely bring me to the concrete. A younger me used to think “What does 'it' look like?” and “Is the whole world like this?”. The questions I asked then, would be answered in a few short moments, and I assure you, when I reached that railing: it was unlike anything anyone could ever imagine. Around two hundred metres below, lie a thick, impenetrable fog so tall that if I were to jump from this very spot, my body would reside in the Cloud long enough to suffocate me before I hit the pavement. Decaying my skin within seconds of me making contact. The tops of the giants rose up from the cloud, breathing in the clean air from above. But for as far as the eye could see, and beyond, the fog crept along the upper quarter of every one of the glass creatures that had been erected prior to it's arrival.

Camera in hand, I took a seat along the railing, hanging my legs over the side of my saviour, and feeling the force of gravity tugging at both my limbs, and making no leeway. Click, click, click went the camera as I peered into the viewfinder, lining up shots and capturing the moment, freezing it into place, never to be altered. And as the day turned to night, and the cold wind ceased it's relentless siege, the thousand neighbouring stars awoke from their slumber, with the brightest pinpoint of light lying to the North. Many more clicks were formed by the camera until it was decided that I hunker down into one of the offices inside, and put myself to rest.

The warm light of dawn shone through the grimy window on the far side of the room, seemingly 'bouncing' from object to object until the whole room was covered in a light haze. The whistling wind had not yet returned to rip away the dead city, giving rise to the perfect opportunity. Once more I ascended the ladder to the roof, looking upon the sky of the morning, still bringing a sense of awe and discovery to my eyes. For the second time of my short life, I bore witness to one of the most common things of the Old World. One of the things that people never yearned to see, but rather shut themselves away from. The giant I was standing on grew frail and weak, the once great frames of the glass had long since been shattered and the stairwells, from which I climbed to reach this point, are crumbling away with every step. There will come a point in time where this sight may never be seen again, where the sky is a thing of the past.

I began my final journey to the railing, looking down over the city's great cloud and the dogs that slept inside, oblivious to the rising star in the east shedding it's warmth over the Earth. I stayed here for another hour before returning the camera to it's housing, and beginning my descent into the fog. The upper floors were a breeze as, for the most part, they had been left untouched. The most damage dealt was to the windows, which were now scattered across the floor. The problems arose as I began approaching the halfway mark, and the fog snuck inside and smothered the glass, shutting out the day and created the suffocating darkness for which I would spend the next few hours traversing. The mask went on the moment my eyes caught sight of the mist below next stairwell. My vision obscured even more so by the two glassy eyepieces of the mask. The filter was screwed on next and then the timer was set; three hours. Three hours to scale two-hundred metres with no equipment.

Two threats were known to me from this point onwards: Firstly, the fog; if my filter ran out I would be a corpse in seconds. Secondly, the dogs, of which there were five residing in the lobby. I continued my advance down the stairs, five flights passed, then ten... until at last I reached the most dangerous part of my descent: the pitfall. Before me was a breach in the pattern, where the steps ended and eighty metre drop began. A gap too distant to clear by a mere jump, and the distance to obscured to judge safely. On the way in the dust was calm, giving a view of flight on which I now stood. I must've sat on the railing for the best part of five minutes, retracing steps in my mind, trying to remember landmarks passed that I paid no attention to the previous day until the thought broke through the fog barrier, and I began ascending the steps behind me, pacing back the way I came until stumbling into a rectangular room concealed by the gaseous brown smokescreen. Embedded in the wall were two metal doors on both sides of the room, creating a grand total of four pathways for me to choose. I approached one of the doors, and hit the button on the wall causing the metal capsule to open up, spewing dust into my face.

Inside the capsule, hidden in the roof, was a small manhole with no visible way up to it aside from jumping. Once on the roof of the capsule I found myself inside a shaft with many ledges that could be used to descend the elevator shaft. From here, the descent was quickened by the number of cables from which I could slide down, and small pathways that were open to cross over into the adjacent shaft. However, the speed did not come without it's downsides, and the amount of energy I used was not something that I needed to happen to me this far up. The watch face revealed that stopping here would not be a good idea; forty minutes. If I were to stay here I would surely die, however continuing on without rest would make escaping the dogs much, much harder.

I continued my advance, turning the flesh of my hands bare, and by the time I reached the lobby, they had become numb with both, the cold and pain. I was forced to rest here as the door to the elevator was closed, and the moment it opened the dogs in the adjacent room would surely be alerted. From what I can remember of the way up, the elevators were positioned right behind the reception desk, and in front of the desk, lies my exit point. On the other side of the elevator door the sound of claws could be heard, distant growls and barks were audible, until finally an unpleasant opportunity came to light. An opportunity that made sure I wouldn't be at the forefront of the beast's attention; The scream of a man could be heard from just outside, probably around the corner in one of the offices. I hit the button. Ding went the floor counter, and the screeching of the falling capsule forced the adreneline to begin it's circulation, as the barking intensified in the distance, getting louder and louder before finally I took off, my target dead ahead and in clear view. The sound of the capsule hitting the bottom of the shaft deafened me, and caused the animals on my tail to squeal in pain, running back the way they came, as I scaled the desk in the centre of the room, and crashed through the thin glass door at the forefront of the giant, littering my arm with a plethora of glass shards, and landing me on my side. A pool of red liquid was beginning to form beneath me, and the dogs were likely to return soon to claim their prey. Ears still ringing, and desperately clambering to my feet at the sound of the returning growls I began my sprint once more. Around the corner and down the steps and I would be home free.

I rounded the corner and immediately wished for the dogs. A wall made of scrap, probably around ten metres tall had been erected, seemingly over night. Atop the wall were three figures of varying heights and statures, one with a rifle in hand. This would all be well and good if not for the spotlight that was scanning the street, making out targets to gun down. The only hope of getting to the staircase pressed against the barrier would be to scale the gridlocked vehicles, putting myself in full view of the light should it shine upon my figure. Now, a split-second decision must be made: Be ripped apart by dogs, or be placed at the mercy of the three figures on the wall. Decision made, the sprint begun, and the light continued to close in.

The heat of the spotlight came over me, 'This is it' I thought before the warmth was wrenched away, and the crackling of gunfire began, breaking the silence of the barren street. The dogs responded to the gunfire, some squealing and some growing more hostile.The dogs were no longer my problem, as I had crossed the threshold of the staircase entrance and took the steps two at a time until the fog evaporated from my view and I was standing at a train platform. The mask came off, and a strong feeling of relief took hold of me. I took a rest at the edge of the platform while I waited for my breathing to stabilise, and then made my journey down the tunnel towards my home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Word, I have this set to around the same page size as a novel, so imagine this across four pages or so. Please give feedback, and don't lie saying "THIS IS VERY GUD!" to keep me happy. If you don't think it is good then just say "This is shit", and give me something to improve upon. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Right. So I am writing a book of sorts in the seclusion of my dark, dark room for... fun. It isn't anything related to nebulous so I am putting it into the 'Creative' section. this is just the first chapter so far, and it serves as an introduction to the world.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I

The Sky

There comes a point in time where you would think the leaders of the world to come together and solve their problems, instead of making excuses and bickering. Even when the problems they cause create danger for the people of nations, they will deny the most obvious of facts, and if the problems they cause become exceptionally bad, they flee. This has always been the way of those in power. This will always be the way of those in power, and therefore this is the case today. Five years ago, a thick smog crept across Europe. Within hours it had turned the streets of cities barren, and drained the life from surrounding environments, turning once green plains to dustswept wastelands of decay. No. This wasn't something that happened overnight, this was something that could have been disallowed to happen, had the ones in control sought to stop their money-making machines and fix the problems that faced them. The build up to the smog was made obvious by the seemingly shorter days, the blotting out of the Sun was a good indication of how bad things were becoming, but still, the excuses were made again and again. Then the fog of decay rolled in; suffocating cities, and dramatically lowering the workforce for the money-machines. In the end: the problem fixed itself. However, the fixing of one problem will almost always create another, more elaborate problem, for which the solution is more obscure than the last. Throughout the ten year build up, the solution was simple: Turn off the factories. Now it's not so easy, for how do you remove a cloud the size of a continent? The Answer to that question of course; is that you don't. Instead you face the facts and see the world how it really is. The Age of Communication is over, the ties between nations have been severed, and the world has become much, much smaller. Humanity has entered a new Dark Age.

People grasped quite quickly that being on the surface was not a good idea; you either stayed in the tunnels, or you climbed to great heights above the cloud. For if you were caught at the base of the glass giants without a mask clasped to your face; you were certain to die sooner or later. Either through suffocation, or the internal damage the chemicals within the Cloud would cause. Needless to say, Humanity thrived in these conditions. I was one of these people. Right now, I stand atop one of the tallest buildings ever to grace the Russian capital, taking in a 'breath of fresh air' for the first time. The climb began at around eight or nine o'clock, getting halted in one of the main stairwells due to a busted support beam. An hour passed before I was able to clear the gap and continued on. I reached the roof-access hatch not ten minutes ago. Clambering from that hatch was like something I had never experienced before; the bright sunlight shining onto my pale flesh, seeing the clear blue sky above the suffocating cloud below, something few have ever seen, and something many will never see in their lifetime. The final wonder of the world stood before me in all it's glory, come night, and I would be an observer to the cosmos, from this very spot. I basked in the glow of my parent star for nigh on thirty minutes before rising to my feet and removing my camera from it's housing. After all, this was something I may never see again. Many people these days knew nothing of the actual appearance of the cloud that surrounded them, and to be honest, neither did I, and curiosity got the better of me. The strong winds of Siberia screeched past, hampering mobility at this altitude greatly. Winds so strong that had I not been putting up a fight, would surely bring me to the concrete. A younger me used to think “What does 'it' look like?” and “Is the whole world like this?”. The questions I asked then, would be answered in a few short moments, and I assure you, when I reached that railing: it was unlike anything anyone could ever imagine. Around two hundred metres below, lie a thick, impenetrable fog so tall that if I were to jump from this very spot, my body would reside in the Cloud long enough to suffocate me before I hit the pavement. Decaying my skin within seconds of me penetrating the wall. The tops of the giants rose up from the cloud, breathing in the clean air from above. But for as far as the eye could see, and beyond, the fog crept along the upper quarter of every one of the glass creatures that had been erected prior to it's arrival. Camera in hand, I took a seat along the railing, hanging my legs over the side of my saviour, and feeling the force of gravity tugging at both my limbs, and making no leeway. Click, click, click went the camera as I peered into the viewfinder, lining up shots and capturing the moment, freezing it into place, never to be altered. And as the day turned to night, and the cold wind ceased it's relentless siege, the thousand neighbouring stars awoke from their slumber, with the brightest pinpoint of light lying to the North. Many more clicks were formed by the camera until it was decided that I hunker down into one of the offices inside, and put myself to rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Word, I have this set to around the same page size as a novel, so imagine this across four pages or so. Please give feedback, and don't lie saying "THIS IS VERY GUD!" to keep me happy. If you don't think it is good then just say "This is shit", and give me something to improve upon. Thanks.

Please.

Paragraphs.