Suggestion: Latest Posts Forum Widget

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
Tagging @alex as this is a suggestion that pertains to changing settings in the forum's ACP (and this isn't exactly a perfect solution for a subforum to post a forum suggestion)

What it does:

A widget not unlike the Recent Activities and Latest Profile Posts widgets (found on the right sidebar of the main page) that shows the last five threads to have been posted in and can be enabled in the Xenforo admin control panel. Think Latest Profile Posts, but it displays threads instead (and reorganizes them based on latest activity).

Why should it be enabled?

I feel as though the currently enabled widgets, as well as the feature that previews the last thread posted in a subforum, do not do enough to surface threads to visibility. Recent Activities is also flooded with profile posts (which are already covered in Latest Profile Posts), as well as every time someone makes a forum reaction. And the subforum previews are, most of the day, going to display a general thread such as the HL2RP screenshots thread. Having Latest Posts would preview several threads at a time on the main page and not have them be swept away by ratings.

There is also a function to disable certain threads from being previewed in the Latest Posts widget. For instance, I'm sure no one would lose any sleep over Current Affairs threads being exempt from preview, or even Fast Threads.

But I also understand that the design of the forum was carefully sculpted, and for one reason or another, this widget was passed up during its design. While I'm not sure what those reasons were, I'm sure they were not invalid ones.

You're just trying to get more people to read your damned threads, Cindy.

..............MAYBE.

But I still think it's a good idea as far as making user-posted information more easily accessible without having to individually dig through forums or catch an off-chance glimpse of activity in Recent Activities. I think the forums could only benefit from its inclusion.

Reactions: List

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
I don't really like cluttering the sidebar and the recent activity widget is made by us, it pretty much provides the same purpose but live.

Reactions: List

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
I don't really like cluttering the sidebar and the recent activity widget is made by us, it pretty much provides the same purpose but live.

It's a really useful widget, don't get me wrong. I just found it a little bothersome that speeds by so fast due to reactions and generally only shows a snapshot of forum activity, causing new threads to often fall into the abyss. But I reckon you can't have everything.

I do understand not wanting to clutter the sidebar, though, especially considering how well-rounded it is with the number of forums there are.

Last edited: