TakeTwo Interactive sends cease and desist to OpenIV developers

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
So TakeTwo (The company that owns Rockstar) have sent a cease and desist to the developers of OpenIV, the main tool used for supporting mods for their games (Mainly GTA 4 and 5).

This basically means that modding is gonna be basically impossible, and TT is effectively saying ''modding our games is illegal.''

They're only doing it to push more people to their GTA Online to they can sell huge amounts of $$$ with their Shark Cards.

tbh, I think I'm crossing any future TT games off the wishlist after this. Fuck those bastards.

http://openiv.com/?p=1324

Reactions: List

Clark

Proton
Nebulae
this is like one of the shittest moves a gaming company could ever make.

I'm not gonna be surprised if they're gonna implement a Bethesda like shitty mod marketplace to try cover this up, "OpenIV was shut down with a legal threat because it enabled hacking in GTA Online, according to Rockstar."' such a bullshit excuse considering that the developers of Open IV made sure that only the single player client could be modified when you use the modding tool.

PrincessKatey

Nucleus
Nebulae
And now we protest heavily to them and show them mods are fair use and protected by copywrite law

E: and that NOTHING openIV did was illegal in any way shape or form

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
this is like one of the shittest moves a gaming company could ever make.

I'm not gonna be surprised if they're gonna implement a Bethesda like shitty mod marketplace to try cover this up, "OpenIV was shut down with a legal threat because it enabled hacking in GTA Online, according to Rockstar."' such a bullshit excuse considering that the developers of Open IV made sure that only the single player client could be modified when you use the modding tool.

Enabled hacking is an excuse. The real thing TT/R* is pissed about is players being able to utilize GTA Online only content in single player because more people in GTA:O = More people grinding = More people likely to buy shark cards and give $$$

And now we protest heavily to them and show them mods are fair use and protected by copywrite law

Yup.

Spread the news all that you can, share it with friends, leave negative reviews on GTA 5 (Or other Take Two games) and boycott future Take Two content. It's what I'm doing.

*honk honk*

transcended p doggo
Nebulae
rockstars are greedy fucks???????

i wonder why people hack the game so much too wow

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
rockstars are greedy fucks???????

i wonder why people hack the game so much too wow
Is it Rockstar though? Or is it simply the people who own them telling them to do it?

I mean I don't know if they have a choice in the matter, in that case?

carabiniere

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
i dont get why they did that, it's just a cease and desist, the developers are russian, who gives a shit?

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Is it Rockstar though? Or is it simply the people who own them telling them to do it?

I mean I don't know if they have a choice in the matter, in that case?

Rockstar released a statement which stated ''Take-Two's actions'' so idk, which is why I said I'm not bothering with TT games anymore, not Rockstar specifically.

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
When people have managed to bring down the recent review score of GTA 5 down to mostly negative in 2 days:

czfZ2it.png

:laughing:

Zomba

Nucleus
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I like how they claim that "Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody"
Yet when you try to access GTA Online you see this message
01.jpeg

Even when there are several mods that bypass this, you'll be met with an almost insta ban upon connection as mods are way too easy to detect.

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
Rockstar are probably preparing to release some new fucking dlc and Take Two have gone on a shitting spree because modders have or can introduce it in a few seconds into the game and went after OpenIV as a warning to all modders
with OpenIV's devs buckling, they know every other modder will buckle too considering how long they've lasted and how reputable they are

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Rockstar are probably preparing to release some new fucking dlc and Take Two have gone on a shitting spree because modders have or can introduce it in a few seconds into the game and went after OpenIV as a warning to all modders

They have plans to release new DLC in June.

It's no big surprise

Isuckatgaming

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Can't wait till FiveRP gets shut down by TT

''haha u are having fun without buying sdhark cards.....too bad."

FiveRP is being developed on an independent client though (or so I think) so they can't intrude on Online with their malicious single player hacks :\\\\\

ruben slikk

life aint shut but a fat vagin
Nebulae
E: and that NOTHING openIV did was illegal in any way shape or form
it breached the eula of the game which disallowed any kind of reverse engineering (which openIV and all these clients like gtmp, ragemp and gtan use)

Can't wait till FiveRP gets shut down by TT
wont happen

they can shut down gtmp but then they can just move to a different client, they already made a move from gtan to gtmp

razzkulz and raptube will fucking kill themselves if gtmp is shut down tho LOL

FiveRP is being developed on an independent client though (or so I think) so they can't intrude on Online with their malicious single player hacks :\\\\\
in any case the client that fiverp uses has to reverse engineer the game, which as stated, breaches the game's EULA

Rockstar are probably preparing to release some new fucking dlc
you realize all gta online dlc is free?

carabiniere

Proton
B A N N E D
Nebulae
in any case the client that fiverp uses has to reverse engineer the game, which as stated, breaches the game's EULA
it's not a client which "reverse engineers" the game, it's a developer

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
you realize all gta online dlc is free?
doesnt stop them from cease and desisting mods that can be considered similar to soon to be released dlc in order to encourage players to use their version and buy sharkcards considering all the dlc content is usually priced in the millions