News The next voyage of nebulous

`impulse

Head Staff
Nebulae
For the past year or so, Alex and I have been iterating upon (and subsequently scrapping) a good number of ideas. The last few months have showed enough promise with our latest project that we now feel comfortable enough to let the community know what we've been cooking up - although this might not come as a surprise to some of you.
gta-rp-banner.png

While we've been hacking away at this for a few months, there isn't much to show because we've been laying a lot of groundwork to reduce the amount of jank that the current GTA modding platforms have. It reminds me of the good ol' GMod 9 days, full of absolute garbage. We haven't fully settled on which modding platform to use - either FiveM/RageMP/AltV - but we're sticking with FiveM for now since it's open source and has support for NPC population. We've architected the framework in a way that allows us to port our existing code to different platforms fairly easily.

Everything is being done from scratch without utilizing code from other addons; we've looked at quite a few of them and they are REALLY bad, so we decided to just do everything ourselves. We want to be a wholly unique experience from other servers, and this is a good step in making that happen. Having full control also means we can optimize heavily, and avoid situations where we can't do something because some little baby weapon base developer decides to DDoS our site or whatever.

Again, we've mostly been working on foundational stuff: reliable networking, database persistence, UI components, jobs system, developer tooling, etc. That being said, I've done an initial pass of the character selection menu so we can have something visual to show off. Keep in mind that everything is very much in its infancy, and what you see may change substantially. Check it out!

We found that keeping development under tight wraps until it's completed wasn't really helping anyone, so we're aiming to have regular update posts like this as we progress through to the eventual release. There's no target date at the moment, since there's a lot of stuff to do before we can throw around any estimates. However, I will note that we definitely want to get this out of the door sooner rather than later.

Why this?
Because we want to.

Why not GMod?
It's on its last legs.

Text-based?
Voice.

Who's working on it?
Alex, Jaydawg, Jamie, and myself.

Semi-serious, then?
Serious, but not HL2RP levels of serious.

Are you ditching HL2RP?
Of course not, dummy.

Does this mean no mini projects like Alplands?
We aren't taking development effort away from anything else to work on this; everything will be business as usual.

Thanks for sticking with us for all these years, and here's to another half decade!

2IIL308mV_EG7HlDK0i92t1fh93a2vxbT0rmbKzxSjrqg2-Gg2cJl7cTdlfXIGE6hB1Bkf3Kgyhrh68RT9EooTKS-rzcSRYBJDXIwXPFrJyLKxklApfg-gg9jWXHN0Y5u9kHGrvR

Last edited by a moderator:

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
No need to thank me guys

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester