The official D&D thread

Raijiin

Electron
Nebulae
Greetings you lovely Wiznerds, I'm here with the sole intent of escaping @MaXenzie 's post !

So I made this thread for anything D&D related !
Wheter it's a tutorial, story, discussion, or even hosting your own game, then you've come to the right thread.

If you are hosting, please state details like dates, campaigns, GM, etc...

Have a good one !

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I really hope that I don't go Gabe Newell because then it's gonna be really awkward

Anyone interested in The Lost Mines of Phandelver?

Yes.

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
Never played D&D. Any link to some website telling me how to play? Or anything I should know before getting started?

Peter Green

Good People, Good Times
Nebulae
Wait for @Peter Green to start up.

Should be this weekend or so, I imagine.
Or maybe next week depending on if I'm busy or not at the time.

Never played D&D. Any link to some website telling me how to play? Or anything I should know before getting started?

You can learn as we go through the campaign if you can get on your pc when we start. An announcement will be posted soonish where people could apply to join.

Zarail

Atom
Nebulae
You can learn as we go through the campaign if you can get on your pc when we start. An announcement will be posted soonish where people could apply to join.
I am in Dalarna and Won't come Home until Sunday, though.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

There's a lot of guides for people making characters etc.

Beyond making a character, all you're doing is RP'ing, but more direct.

Instead of saying a massive detailed paragraph about how you intend to cleave your foe, you just say "I attack." and roll your dice.

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae

Hey! So, the first thing you want to do is to find a group to play with. Preferably with a group that has been playing for a while. Websites like Roll20 is hit and miss. Reddit's /r/lfg can help too!

Make sure you identify what type of setting you want to play: High fantasy, Low fantasy, horror, clockwork, etc etc.

You want to talk over with your GM and group in what you want to play and collaborate to meet a middleground.

Get the pdfs for the system you are using (3.5, pathfinder, 4.0, 5.0). Give the rules a skim and ask your group to clarify any questions.

Then figure what character you want to play. You should generally play something that fits the setting and party.

Red Dress

Proton
Nebulae
We were only five people AND EVERY GOD DAMN TIME WE TRIED TO PLAY AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE WERE GONE AAAAAAA

There were several logistical problems.

1. Some dropped out without warning: We get it. Life comes first, but an TTRPG campaign is a commitment. Players should at least give a heads-up of if they are going to leave. ALSO,

2. The game was was rushed: Some players have the ability to be able to constantly monitor the forum, others (like me) work at least 60 hours a week. Players need to understand that a online text based campaign is SLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW. You need to give players at least a half a day to respond. Grow up and deal with the pacing - your instagratification is not realistic.

3. Lack of turn clarity: Everyone needs to post their character name when it is their turn. Things get difficult to organize and sometimes you forget when it is your turn or what order is whaaaa? Posting your characters name before hand is heavily important to keep turn order clarity

4. No Party cohesion: There is a reason why " you all meet in a tavern" is considered to be a terrible starting point for a party. First off, it gives no basis of plot. You need to hook the players instantly ("#grabembythemeow). This is done by putting them in a rather tense situation. A tavern is.. well.. Usually not. And no, a bar fight is just meaningless filler unless a significant NPC is presented. Secondly, it gives no incentive to why each party member has a reason to be with each other. Whether it is for a immeasurable amount of wealth or divine message - characters who hate each other or have no connection to each other will never stay together. Part of character creation is buliding each PCs relations towards each other The player and character need to be emotionally invested in the party. Think Burning Wheel, FATEcore, Nobilis. Collaborative character AND worldbuilding is extremely good.

5. Lack of information about the world: Players need to be familiar with the place. It is stupid to think as a GM that characters that have grown their entire lives (some hundreds of years) in the world and yet starting a game they are knowledgless. Again, investement in the world is super super important. Do not expect players to give a shit about the world if have no connection.

6. Make PCs background stories relevant : See above. Emotional investment and clarity as well as visceral feel.