Think I'm in a Bottleneck with the Wi-fi

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
Lately the signal strength has suddenly crawled to a halt, can barely play TF2, can't log into WoW, anything multiplayer related slows down its connection.

Social Media and streaming works all fine but anything in-game related with the exception of SS13 theres un-playable lag.

Now I'm no expert on sorting any issue related to network and wifi so I might not get how to fix it myself.

This only started recently, the games were working perfectly fine until now.

Sir Frost

Electron
Nebulae
I'm not taking the piss here but have you tried turning it off and on again?

Kafe

Level Design nomad
Nebulae
my isp (sky) cuts me off multiple times per day. called them seeing if they could repair but they said there was nothing to fix, so by design I guess.
Got to do manual resets on my connections to fix it.

Reactions: List

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
How old is your modem?
The Modem is fairly new since last year, its BT, fast enough to run mostly everything.

I've given it factory resets on the router, but it doesn't do much for me really.

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
How old is your modem?
The Modem is fairly new since last year, its BT, fast enough to run mostly everything.

I've given it factory resets on the router, but it doesn't do much for me really.
This might sound like a dumb question but is your computer directly connected to it via wire or is it wireless

Pict

Scottish Highlander
Nebulae
This might sound like a dumb question but is your computer directly connected to it via wire or is it wireless

The computer uses a wireless adaptor, the router's only a couple of rooms away from here, its a USB kind that I had since I got the PC first built in like 2015.

jwAw0KX.png

Speed test

Blackquill

Administrator
Head Staff
Nebulae
The computer uses a wireless adaptor, the router's only a couple of rooms away from here, its a USB kind that I had since I got the PC first built in like 2015.

jwAw0KX.png

Speed test
I'd suggest trying a wired connection if possible.

Sorry if that ain't viable, just a suggestion - ain't an expert myself but a wired connection from what I know is more reliable than a wireless one.

gigi

Atom
Nebulae
its a USB kind that I had since I got the PC first built in like 2015
if you have an empty PCIe bus on your motherboard consider getting a wifi card, Asus do one for 30 quid that ive considered picking up before as an upgrade to the PCI wifi card i had that barely got 5 mb/s on a good day, it should give you massively improved bandwidth over a usb wifi adapter and looks quite cool imo
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-pce-ac56-80211ac-dual-band-wireless-ac1300-pci-e-adapter
i will say i agree with the Quill in trying to get a wired connection though, im investing in one of Netgear's ethernet switchs and running some 30 odd metre cat6 cable to it while im upgrading my pc because wifi is a total fucking pain in the arse and im gonna be running quite a few ethernet devices

avralwobniar

Atom
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

jwAw0KX.png

Speed test
Try buying a new wireless adapter, of it uses antennas or some shit make sure they're connected all the way.