This is America - Childish Gambino

Powley

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae

This doesn't feel like Gambino at all. I guess he's just making a statement on mass shootings and shit but....I just want Gambino homie

Bh2G2YfIgAACSlm.jpg

Reactions: List

Codfather

Shit fuck
Nebulae
I personally disagree; since it's made by Gambino, doesn't that automatically make it "feel like Gambino"?
every artist has a style, gambino has his own style, this wasn't his style at all, just felt like some sort of medley of rappers today.

idk, this just didn't suit his general genre, kinda just felt too forced, i get that it was some "rebellious" rap against america but it just didn't suit his style or tone at all

Deleted member 61

donator without a cause
Nebulae
I don't know why but it sounded like he's experimenting with mumble rap.

Not a fan of this song, but it didn't vibe like Gambino usually does. Political songs are usually for the meaning and not necessarily the music. It's like comedy for claps, not for laughs. I don't mind it, I don't agree with his point, but if he feels its necessary to put it out then more power to him.

Lukemia

Quark
Nebulae
I don't know why but it sounded like he's experimenting with mumble rap.

Not a fan of this song, but it didn't vibe like Gambino usually does. Political songs are usually for the meaning and not necessarily the music. It's like comedy for claps, not for laughs. I don't mind it, I don't agree with his point, but if he feels its necessary to put it out then more power to him.
Give it time and it will grow on you, I felt the same way now i love the song

Khiel

Molecule
Nebulae
Good track but really new style for Gambino, preferred it when he was more unique tbh.

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
boring cliche dreck out of a talented artist

both this and arctic monkeys, expected better

swagile

Atom
Nebulae
boring cliche dreck out of a talented artist

both this and arctic monkeys, expected better

kinda like valve

they made and helped along some of the greatest games around

but got pittance for it

so now they sell games and make 100000000000x more than when they tried to help the gaming industry revolutionize

same thing here; the dude's raking the money in from making a meme out of american school shooting culture + black culture

ddæ

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
kinda like valve

they made and helped along some of the greatest games around

but got pittance for it

so now they sell games and make 100000000000x more than when they tried to help the gaming industry revolutionize

same thing here; the dude's raking the money in from making a meme out of american school shooting culture + black culture
every dog has his day

Knight

`impulse-approved
B A N N E D
Nebulae
White girls act like they're fucking professors when they get the message behind this

Jimbo

Molecule
Nebulae
i like the song and i'm looking forward to his next album, childish gambino featuring young thug is a great idea, he's dropping some new songs in nz in a tour later on this year so im probably gonna try go to that

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
feels kinda like he's capitalizing on all the school shooting hype tbh

Is making a political commentary capitalizing off it? Sure, he's going to make money. Any published music will. But I doubt that's Glover's end goal here.

Flanders

Atom
Nebulae
I personally enjoyed the message that was portrayed in the video, but this didn't seem like an actual song to me. It seems like a strong message in the portrayal of a song to reach a wider audience.

The message isn't just "lol don't shoot people" or "hey look people be big gay"
It touches on a variety of subjects, but the main view is how the youthful media chooses to distract themselves over the newest trends and social media rather than addressing and truly looking at the issues infesting the country. Even the medium of the song could be a reference to the message of the song itself, the musical style being that of modern rap/pop.
Other issues involve black on black crime,
the values of weapons over human lives,
police brutality (which I personally think is bullshit)
the cocky nature of other modern rappers,
among other things.

The piece has a plethora of layers stacked upon each other, and while I may not enjoy the song as music, I can appreciate the effort that went into producing and sending it's message.