tRPGs

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
Just curious, does anyone here play tRPGs (like DnD, Dungeon World, Call of Cthulhu, etc)?

I've got into them over the past half a year(?), started with DnD, later switched to Dungeon World when the DM of the previous group invited me to his next game.

Haven't played that many sessions yet, but honestly the environment feels pretty liberating. Yeah, you will have to use your voice, your enjoyment will partially depend on finding a good group with the same wants/needs as you, you won't get events with many different players participating, you will only be able to play at pre-determined times and the quests/content your characters will be doing will often be crafted and offered to you by the DM (depends on the game), but it's fun to roleplay a character in a small group, especially with the person in charge of acting out the "mechanics" of the game right there with you.

Each of the characters can get more focus- opportunities to act, importance in the narrative (and the gameplay dynamic) and custom ties to the game world. Rules can be bend for the sake of the story. No being limited in where you can go or what you can do (well, in reasonable, "being a nice player" way). You don't have to pointlessly grind. If you have a cool idea, you can bring it up and maybe see it implemented. The narrative and world can realistically change a lot. Etc etc

also it's relaxing to chill in a Discord call with the same 4 people each week

Reactions: List

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Just curious, does anyone here play tRPGs (like DnD, Dungeon World, Call of Cthulhu, etc)?

I've got into them over the past half a year(?), started with DnD, later switched to Dungeon World when the DM of the previous group invited me to his next game.

Haven't played that many sessions yet, but honestly the environment feels pretty liberating. Yeah, you will have to use your voice, your enjoyment will partially depend on finding a good group with the same wants/needs as you, you won't get events with many different players participating, you will only be able to play at pre-determined times and the quests/content your characters will be doing will often be crafted and offered to you by the DM (depends on the game), but it's fun to roleplay a character in a small group, especially with the person in charge of acting out the "mechanics" of the game right there with you.

Each of the characters can get more focus- opportunities to act, importance in the narrative (and the gameplay dynamic) and custom ties to the game world. Rules can be bend for the sake of the story. No being limited in where you can go or what you can do (well, in reasonable, "being a nice player" way). You don't have to pointlessly grind. If you have a cool idea, you can bring it up and maybe see it implemented. The narrative and world can realistically change a lot. Etc etc

also it's relaxing to chill in a Discord call with the same 4 people each week

D&D 5e i've played and DM'd for almost a decade

starting up Vampire the Masquerade soon

also played some Call of Cthulhu and Don't Rest Your Head

also gonna be playing Mutants & Masterminds soon too

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
D&D 5e i've played and DM'd for almost a decade

starting up Vampire the Masquerade soon

also played some Call of Cthulhu and Don't Rest Your Head

also gonna be playing Mutants & Masterminds soon too
any tips for making the game more fun for the DM/other players?
not saying it's not, would just be cool to intentionally do from time to time

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

browse r/dmacademy, r/dndbehindthescreen, and r/dndnext

watch matt mercer's video guides, and matthew colville's video guides

doing all of these will help you out far more than i can

Willy del Silly

huh?
Premium Member
Nebulae
I've played dnd for about 5 years now. I mainly DM but I've played a few times.

This all depends on what your group is like. If your game is more combat oriented then you could probably do some cool thinking outside the box one step ahead 4D tactician mega brain shit. If your game is more roleplay oriented then you could like let your character get attached to other players characters or even have conflict with them. Basically it all boils down to keeping people interested in your character or what you're doing, without yanking the 'spotlight' around and away.

Lewis!

フローラルの専門店
Nebulae
i'd like to do DnD i just cant be bothered looking up the rules man, theres so much shit to it

i'm gonna go to a tabletop club at some point once they decide to open it up again, hope to learn there

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
i'd like to do DnD i just cant be bothered looking up the rules man, theres so much shit to it

i'm gonna go to a tabletop club at some point once they decide to open it up again, hope to learn there

5e rules are actually very simple for players, and you'll learn most of them by making a character

Willy del Silly

huh?
Premium Member
Nebulae

Don't bother looking up the rulebooks. Just type in YouTube how to play dnd 5e or tell your dm you've never played before and they'll teach you if they aren't an asshole.

FMDev

Funny SCP Lady
Nebulae
my brain has been basically entirely consumed by pathfinder/3.5e for the past year. jank is the operative word and it's perfect to me, baby. my character sheet has 120 different numbers and i could not be happier.

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
AI Dungeon is cool, although it's a good idea to pay for the premium edition since the answers are much better then

If you really like DnD it's good enough really, it's also fantastic to get ideas from. I usually create a prompt / world and boom - good ideas galore.

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
had my first vampire the masquerade session yesterday

was fun, party did vampire politics and beat joggers up in a park

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
had my first vampire the masquerade session yesterday

was fun, party did vampire politics and beat joggers up in a park
I had Dungeon World today
talked my way to a discount on a tarrot reading only to get depressed from said tarrot reading
then we sent a demon back to hell

Willy del Silly

huh?
Premium Member
Nebulae
I'm starting a dnd 5e campaign that says fuck the setting we're playing in the afterlife between universes that exists outside of time and space si you got like sci fi dudes interacting with modern dudes interacting with fantasy dudes and shit

MaXenzie

Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
okay i've been reading rpg horror stories and now im miffed

should x-cards be allowed in horror tabletop games like call of cthulhu

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae

Edit: actually I'd rather think about it a bit more before answering sorry

Willy del Silly

huh?
Premium Member
Nebulae

Seems like a stupid concept to me in general.
I don't play dnd with anyone I don't know and I specifically give trigger warnings before they even make their characters about what the campaign will most likely have. For example for my afterlife campaign I made sure that the players were comfortable with themes like suicide and abuse as well as gore.
I don't think someone should change the way they DM because its more comfortable for someone else. Which is why I do the warnings before the campaign even starts so they can leave and not make it anyone else's problem.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
If/when you guys use images to represent your characters, where do you get them from? (Think ref pictures or map icons)

I've settled on making mine using my very subpart art skills and MS paint (getting there getting there), but I'm curious about other options as well

(if you can recommend any software to replace paint with it'd be more than welcome as well)

Last edited:

FMDev

Funny SCP Lady
Nebulae
If/when you guys use images to represent your characters, where do you get them from? (Think ref pictures or map icons)

I've settled on making mine using my very subpart art skills and MS paint (getting there getting there), but I'm curious about other options as well

(if you can recommend any software to replace paint with it'd be more than welcome as well)
picrew, if you can guarantee nobody will heckle you for them looking like anime characters.

vtipoman

Electron
Nebulae
I love how my current party members are all highly motivated, confident, ambitious people
thomas-song-finishing-touches-rougher.png