Accepted unban appeal

Discussion in 'Ban Appeals' started by Andrew, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    Steam Name: Judge Dredd The Techno Viking
    Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:17800525

Banned from: Gmod Server
    Character Name (If Applicable): not applicable
    Length: 11 weeks

Admin Who Banned You (Tag them with @ before their name): @Blackquill

What were you banned for?: Excessive usage of various racial derogatory slurs, clearly just trying to find ways around the filter.
    Why Should You Be Unbanned?: morbid curiosity of the filter late-night with three others on. was in spawn. if you look back at the logs you'll see me say filter test beforehand as well.
    plans were to just see how far the word filter go, comparing it to oldschool runescape's filter and testing words that runescape filters, as well as words that pass osrs's filter due to mixture of two words

Time of Occurrence: 3AM eastern standard time
    Evidence: Yes
    Any additional members involved: No

2. Flanders

Flanders `impulse-approved
    HL2 RP Administrator Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I'm confused as to what this appeal is trying to achieve. You're just stating that you were doing what you were banned for, attempting to bypass the filter. You're not saying you did something wrong or that you're sorry for doing it, so what's the point?

3. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    about thirty minutes or so after i made the post on the ccc thread that got dogpiled i was curious and joined the server to sit in spawn and test the filter to see how far it goes
    there were only three people on and i was alone in spawn and joined for the sole purpose of testing it
    if it wasn't 3AM, i probably could've dm'ed an SA or something to ask, but decided to test the filter manually instead

4. Schizophrenic

Schizophrenic Support Harpers Law | Support your Vets.
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    As much as I understand the want to test the limits of something, it is in place for a reason. Curiosity killed the cat, however, I do see that you had no malicious intent and wouldn't mind seeing a reduction in your ban length but this is completely down to Blackquill himself since he was the ban issuer.

5. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    i'm not using the information acquired at all
    i don't give a fuck about wandering around saying shit or anything, not planning to make a racial bluesuit minge gang
    i really just wanted to jiggle the lock when nobody was looking, pulled up wikipedia's list of racial slurs and went down it for a few minutes

6. Flanders

Nebulae:
    Surely you would have been able to preconceive that was a bad idea?

It's the same logic as, "I was charfallover glitching around to see if I could get into restricted areas. I didn't mean anything by it, I was just jiggling the lock."

That, + we really don't tolerate bigotry and have made that abundantly clear time and time again.

7. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    How was it a bad idea at all?
    I was on the server at three in the morning, two others were on, was in spawn, was alone, and decided to do one thing before disconnecting
    at no point did i figure at all that anything would even come of it, i was genuinely just curious of what was blocked and what wasn't
    ----------------
    I'll edit my post too
    dude it's a victimless crime, I haven't touched rp since clockwork, when there wasn't a filter at all for ic speech
    i came back about two or so weeks ago and am still dipping my toes into this stuff, i didn't at all see any problems with it because nobody was around

8. Flanders

Nebulae:
    [​IMG]

9. Blackquill

Blackquill Administrator
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    You knew what you were doing was disallowed, you did it anyway

Not an ounce of an apology for it either, even though it's really fucking stupid

Having a hard time seeing you unbanned mate

10. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    I didn't realize it was disallowed at all, especially because it was something that wasn't around for clockwork
    I'm just a returning player still adjusting to all this change, seeing all this stuff openly shat on so hard these days is a bit of a change that I can welcome
    If you wanted me to apologize for it, you could've just asked, as well. I didn't because it didn't even sound like anyone wanted one.

I'm sorry for what I did, I didn't realize that it'd have any real effect on anything I was doing. It was just blind curiosity in the wee hours of the morning after that ccc thread scuffle. Next time I'll just ask an SA or something to divulge info about it instead.

11. Andrew

Andrew Electron

Nebulae:
    This entire situation felt more like a misunderstanding to me, which is why I was so casual about it.
    -----
    I feel like laying all this out, so I'm just going to.
    I don't understand. People minge and avoid rp and get 2 week bans, I return after leaving 4 months before helix dropped, spend a week playing, get on at 3am after causing a minor fit on the cop ccc thread to see exactly how far the filter goes, and tested it. Then I went to sleep.
    I don't feel remorse, because I didn't affect anyone at all. Nobody was around. I basically walked up to police tape, stepped over and behind it when nobody was looking, and then stepped back.
    No, I wasn't testing some wacky nu-age tech to get into the nexus to hit map buttons, I was testing something that can be done by hitting enter and then hitting a few keys on my keyboard. I hurt nobody because nobody was around.
    You're cool to do what you want because you're the server director and it's basically your server, and I respect you as a person and professionally, but I'm telling you how I feel about the situation without putting on any airs, because I don't enjoy at all typing out these posts trying to appeal to people.
    I tested a word filter. Alone. I just don't personally see what was wrong with it. My behavior on the server doesn't resonate with any racist or xenophobic standings at all, because that shit doesn't belong there.
    I'm sorry in the end for it, but I still feel confused as to why something so simple is being blown up like this. That's my genuine reaction. I'm just here to roleplay.

#11 Andrew, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  12. Blackquill

Blackquill Administrator
    Head Staff HL2 RP Server Director

Nebulae:
    You've sat out enough

You can be unbanned, don't repeat this shit or I'll reban you myself.

Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice