Unpopular Lore Onions

Cindy

*sigh* ud know this if u read the silmarillion...
Nebulae
post your unpopular lore o(pi)nions regarding the half-life universe

readysetgo

Reactions: List

Cindy

Nebulae
cremators exist? why? theyre cool.

fuck you

still hate the hl2 beta with a burning passion but i have since rescinded my stance on cremators as they are in fact very cool

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
still hate the hl2 beta with a burning passion but i have since rescinded my stance on cremators as they are in fact very cool
Honestly? The Beta has some fantastic ideas but people clump it all into one single thing, when it wasn't.

The whole "grimdark gasmask" bit got cut out by 2001; the rest is incredibly fascinating.

Cindy

Nebulae
okok my turn

"Universal union" was never a proper noun or pseudonym for the Combine but rather a definitive elaboration of what the Combine are.

Further elaboration:

bSIaUPf.png

Not going to bring in the point of capitalization but rather draw emphasis on the fact that many if not most people in the realm of HL2RP communities took the part about "small minds" to imply that the resistance use the moniker "The Combine" as a derogatory term, but considering that the rest of the speech goes into detail about how cosmologically large the Combine are, I'd say that "small minds" refers to humans wholesale in that they couldn't possibly grasp the entire concept of what the Combine actually are with their comparatively "small minds".

Additional evidence: Breen directly calls them the Combine to Overwatch personnel at Nova Prospekt
ubmWNNa.png

Additional additional evidence: Every "CMB" poster ever.
b26UusQ.png

Nebulae
various celebrities were swept up by the union and continue doing versions of popular shows under USE alongside union propaganda

today on top gear richard hammond drives an apc into a tree

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
okok my turn

"Universal union" was never a proper noun or pseudonym for the Combine but rather a definitive elaboration of what the Combine are.

Further elaboration:

bSIaUPf.png

Not going to bring in the point of capitalization but rather draw emphasis on the fact that many if not most people in the realm of HL2RP communities took the part about "small minds" to imply that the resistance use the moniker "The Combine" as a derogatory term, but considering that the rest of the speech goes into detail about how cosmologically large the Combine are, I'd say that "small minds" refers to humans wholesale in that they couldn't possibly grasp the entire concept of what the Combine actually are with their comparatively "small minds".

Additional evidence: Breen directly calls them the Combine to Overwatch personnel at Nova Prospekt
ubmWNNa.png

b26UusQ.png
i always thought of the combine as a whole of everything

UU = administrative shit, doctors, public utilities etc. (civilians employed to work mainly in the city)
Overwatch = CP/OTA/Dispatch
Conscripts are their own thing

Combine = UU + overwatch + conscripts and the rest of the things

bonk&½

Electron
Nebulae
One lore question I have.

Do we know if an organisation such as the Civil Workers Union even existed?

Cindy

Nebulae
conscripts are a by-product of a mutually agreed restriction on the understanding of how transhumanism works that forces people to manifest an alternative faction rather than re-intepreting an existing one to befit the role of a characterizable military arm.

vorts have thumbs

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
okok my turn

Further elaboration:

bSIaUPf.png

ubmWNNa.png

b26UusQ.png
I retroactively agree with this honestly.

But I don't regret making the differential for Neb's lore either. It worked out.

Flanders

Atom
Nebulae
okok my turn

Further elaboration:

bSIaUPf.png

ubmWNNa.png

b26UusQ.png

i think at this point most people agree with you, but specifically in our lore the 'Universal Union' is the name of local human-ran government that's been endorsed by the Combine and allows them to continue to exist so long as they don't go against the Combine's core ideals.

I imagine due to the diverse amount of worlds the Combine capture they have to kind of wing how they do each one, and since humans are incredibly social and tribalistic creatures, it makes sense to make them think that they are still governing themselves and actually are to a degree, more so with the oversight of the impossibly large big brother to make sure they don't fuck up.

All that while we continue to donate Transhumans to the Combine for off-world utilization, as well as the Combine's actual true interest in Earth, our unique solution to local teleportation, which the Combine very much want to assimilate into their overall list of tools.

Mute

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
One lore question I have.

Do we know if an organisation such as the Civil Workers Union even existed?
pretty sure it was created early on in order to give loyalist/citizens more to do, giving them options other than being a blind loyalist, CP or anticitizen, UM used to be part of CWU early on in hl2rp as the CWU-M and UIL as an idea didnt exist until willard industries (afaik)

I dont think its ever mentioned specifically in the game

@Hudson probably knows a bit more as our hl2rp historian