Completed unpopular suggestion: disable 3rd person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-tankspy

Nucleus
Nebulae
Suggestion: title

Why it would be worth adding: as of now, 99% of all combat encounters consist of trench-warfaring a corner with third person for a very long time until either the defender/attacker dies. this results, as many people have seen, in tediously long and unfun shootouts until either side starts to aggressively push, which seldom happens.

im not suggesting disabling the feature entirely; maybe make it so it works only in the main hubs (nexus/main rebel area) for those who wish to see their playermodel, but force the view to first person once you're out of the main area's radius.

at the very least, disable third person for a few days as test run. see how it'll effect combat.

Necessary content: deveol...p... code../?

Subeh

john rebelrp
Nebulae
im not suggesting disabling the feature entirely; maybe make it so it works only in the main hubs (nexus/main rebel area) for those who wish to see their playermodel
alternatively tie it into combat instead

i.e. if you pull your weapon out it forces you into first person

would still let you 3rd person peek without your gun out but technically speaking that's still a major debuff to the whole concept of third person peeking, cus u'd need to peek and then get ur gun back out which sort of defeats the purpose of 3rd person peeking imo

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Suggestion: title

Why it would be worth adding: as of now, 99% of all combat encounters consist of trench-warfaring a corner with third person for a very long time until either the defender/attacker dies. this results, as many people have seen, in tediously long and unfun shootouts until either side starts to aggressively push, which seldom happens.

im not suggesting disabling the feature entirely; maybe make it so it works only in the main hubs (nexus/main rebel area) for those who wish to see their playermodel, but force the view to first person once you're out of the main area's radius.

at the very least, disable third person for a few days as test run. see how it'll effect combat.

Necessary content: deveol...p... code../?

Funnily enough, I was talking with Warwick and Fatality about this the other day. I can't remember why I got onto the topic I think it was because I was seeing alot of corner peeking of rebels stacked up, same with cops and OTA, But it's sort of become a staple. I mean if it was a thing much like Character Swapping, it should be a thing that admins can turn on and off at will imo.

Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Just to add to this, I think Optics/attachments should be sorted out along with this to balance it being first person if it were to be a thing

Komchan

nen
Nebulae
I like third person for cinematic reasons but yeah, there should be a feature that perhaps raising your gun immediately forces you into third person.

Would be a good counter or something

(Raising your gun because it's something you NEED to do + still allows cool third person armed screenshots)

RedMan

Electron
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
alternatively tie it into combat instead

i.e. if you pull your weapon out it forces you into first person

would still let you 3rd person peek without your gun out but technically speaking that's still a major debuff to the whole concept of third person peeking, cus u'd need to peek and then get ur gun back out which sort of defeats the purpose of 3rd person peeking imo
I like third person for cinematic reasons but yeah, there should be a feature that perhaps raising your gun immediately forces you into third person.
Nothing stops you from having a mate sit behind cover and feed you the information through voice chat or something similar. You may personally not see as much of an issue, but I have witnessed some proper eagle-eyed nutcases out there that are willing to engrain every little detail and sound into their brain in order to gain that tiny slither of an advantage over combat.

However, I am willing to propose a compromise:
- Cooldown on toggling between Third person and First Person; you are stuck on either perspective for 5-10 seconds.
- Cooldown occurs when you recently (un)equipped a weapon, you are holding a weapon, or you toggled between First and Third person.

This way it at least hinders the capabilities of a sniper that is comfortably sitting in the back likely under no risk of being hit. This will still allow the peakers some leeway to peak around corners- but it should discourage it due to the risk involved.

Trains

ms paint artist extraordinaire
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
This isn’t the same thread but I’m gonna reply here because relevant
That's not happening due to thirdperson, it's due to rebels always running into a zone which requires SD auths
“No bro I’m not 3rd person peaking”
IMG_1216.jpg

It’s so obvious when people are doing it man and it’s constant

every day I see people sitting in the apartments or the bridge doing literally fucking nothing because they can’t move, since they know full well the other side is sat in third person waiting

Both sides are guilty of it because they know if they don’t do it the other guy will

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
I switch between 1st and 3rd during s2k some times even during shooting I’ll prefer to be in 3rd because it feels easier.

Personally I think removing third person from s2k will mess with the dynamic for a few days but it’ll overall it’ll be a net good. But I know that it’ll play out like
>3rd person removed
>long ranged holding corners becomes extremely meta and whoever is on the defense will always stomp the other
>Time to kill with be even more extreme due to 3rd person being removed
>People will complain and ask for time to kill to be increased
>when eventually rebels run out of ammo they’ll complain about it being too long and never having enough ammo to kill

Nebulae
I switch between 1st and 3rd during s2k some times even during shooting I’ll prefer to be in 3rd because it feels easier.

Personally I think removing third person from s2k will mess with the dynamic for a few days but it’ll overall it’ll be a net good. But I know that it’ll play out like
>3rd person removed
>long ranged holding corners becomes extremely meta and whoever is on the defense will always stomp the other
>Time to kill with be even more extreme due to 3rd person being removed
>People will complain and ask for time to kill to be increased
>when eventually rebels run out of ammo they’ll complain about it being too long and never having enough ammo to kill
thats how it always is in human warfare irl
defensive is always twice superior to the assault

that's why the assault team ought to have an arsenal of grenades to assault with, whether if it is tons of smokes, flashbangs / stun grenades
but going raw, aint working without some tactical cover.
once 3rd person while holding a weapon in hands gets scrapped, and combine arsenal gets the proper tools to assault with,
things will become more tactical, and maybe combat will be more interesting for both sides

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
thats how it always is in human warfare irl
defensive is always twice superior to the assault

that's why the assault team ought to have an arsenal of grenades to assault with, whether if it is tons of smokes, flashbangs / stun grenades
but going raw, aint working without some tactical cover.
once 3rd person while holding a weapon in hands gets scrapped, and combine arsenal gets the proper tools to assault with,
things will become more tactical, and maybe combat will be more interesting for both sides
We’re the ones sieging we need the tools lol

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
We’re the ones sieging we need the tools lol

Smoke grenade and bigger numbers. Use flanking tactics like we've always done but this time effectively as the enemy will need to peek to see people flank and stuff. There's no reason why 3rd person makes the stuff you mentioned above any better in any way, if anything, it makes it even worse.

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
Smoke grenade and bigger numbers. Use flanking tactics like we've always done but this time effectively as the enemy will need to peek to see people flank and stuff. There's no reason why 3rd person makes the stuff you mentioned above any better in any way, if anything, it makes it even worse.
It’s more of the; we cannot get these smoke nades; or flashes for that matter. So it’ll always be “flank or die”
And on this map especially it’s not exactly easy to flank because of the very few avenues

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
we cannot get these smoke nades; or flashes for that matter

Do you mean rebels or CPs?

Cause I swear I've seen smoke grenades being used in the past by both sides.

Still if first person is implemented these tools may be handed more commonly, I don't see why one thing negates the other. Gameplay is balanced through trial and error anyways, so if 3rd person is removed for gameplay and balance reasons, other aspects will be readjusted as necessary, I'm sure of it.

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
Do you mean rebels or CPs?

Cause I swear I've seen smoke grenades being used in the past by both sides.

Still if first person is implemented these tools may be handed more commonly, I don't see why one thing negates the other. Gameplay is balanced through trial and error anyways, so if 3rd person is removed for gameplay and balance reasons, other aspects will be readjusted as necessary, I'm sure of it.
From what I remember readily available to cops and not to rebels.

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
From what I remember readily available to cops and not to rebels.

Can't people request them at supplies and stuff? Idk, I still see it as an easy to adjust thing. Gameplay is bound to change if the perspective is modified, so it's not exactly a counter-argument to the suggestion, but instead a problem that may have to be dealt with a few steps ahead if this is accepted.

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
Can't people request them at supplies and stuff? Idk, I still see it as an easy to adjust thing. Gameplay is bound to change if the perspective is modified, so it's not exactly a counter-argument to the suggestion, but instead a problem that may have to be dealt with a few steps ahead if this is accepted.
We got dah stations but I haven’t been a cell lead for a while so I got no idea how it works now or if it has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.