Official Guide Using Bullets As Currency

Discussion in 'Guides' started by nexus, Apr 13, 2021.

1. nexus

nexus barbecue chips aint shit
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Media Developer

Nebulae:

[​IMG]

Due to new dev implementation, bullets can be used as a standardized currency. We'll also encourage all Railway members to start using this method as a standard whenever they have extra or all materials left over to jumpstart the market in currency.

What does this mean?
    This means that instead of charging for supplies with metal or components, the Railway are encouraged to start charging with bullets, this also means you can trade with bullets if you want to.

For reference, in this sheet I'm going to call a standard bullet cost an SBC, that's your currency in regards to one metal. One SBC=One metal piece

How will we know the costs?
    For the purpose of these calculations, im gonna assume every component that isn't already metal is worth a box each, because that's what people would buy them for. One charcoal piece is 5 metal. Paper is worthless, plastic is worthless. The raw metal is the crafting recipe for bullet casings.

9MM rounds
    10 Metal
    1 Charcoal
    1 Primer
    1 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (35 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 1.2 Metal

SMG rounds
    20 Metal
    2 Charcoal
    2 Primer
    1 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (60 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 1.5 Metal

Buckshot
    10 Metal
    1 Charcoal
    10 Plastic
    4 Primers
    3 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (85 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 5.6 Metal

10 Metal
    1 Charcoal
    3 Primers
    2 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (65 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 5.4 Metal

10 Metal
    1 Charcoal
    3 Primers
    2 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (65 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 1 Metal (Absolute baseline, stable, standardized currency)

7.92x57mm (Kar98)
    10 Metal
    1 Charcoal
    2 Primers
    2 Gunpowder
    1 Paper
    (55 Metal)
    1 Bullet = 11 Metal

With this in mind, the easiest way to trade would be to make 7.62 Rounds equal a standard of 1 Metal - since they'll circulate without being used, more than likely. .357 for 5 metal, K98 rounds for 10 Metal.
    7.62 = 1
    .357 = 5
    K98 = 10

Though you can trade whichever way you want.
    In short.
    1x 7.62 round = 1x SBC (Metal pieces)
    1x 9MM round = 1.25x SBC (Metal pieces)
    1x SMG round = 1.5x SBC (Metal pieces)
    1x 357 round = 5x SBC (Metal pieces)
    1x Buckshot = 6x SBC (Metal pieces)
    1x 7.92x57mm (Kar98) round = 11x SBC (Metal pieces)

You have a few approaches here, but the simplest would be to count 7.62 rounds as standard currency for 1's, 357's for 5's and K98 rounds for 10's. Wether you want to round up or down is entirely up to you and your sales, that or play a decimal game, it's up to you.

How does this translate to actual trade?

Let's establish material costs first. Baseline price for the average man; not counting people with their own stores and added benefits. Vending machines for metal, suitcases for wood, backpacks for cloth.

80 tokens for a backpack in a regular store, baseline price. One backpack generates 4 cloth on average based on the crafting recipe with a margin for a 5th, so assuming it's a 25% chance for an extra we can take out 1/4th
    So a piece of cloth would be 15 tokens.

Suitcases are usually bought off folks for 50 tokens. They generate 2 wood, among cloth and metal; it's otherwise garnered for free from farming. In other cases really rare since you only get 'em off new players. So we can roughly calculate that down to 30 tokens each and assume we're just paying for them off a suitcase + their inherent rarity.

One can is 15 tokens, 2 cans required for a smeltdown which is a 50/50 between getting you two metal and one metal. 30 divided by 1.5 is 20.

Plastic is so abundant that people literally punch the fucking stuff when they don't need it anymore, everyone hates plastic - it's practically infinite, absolutely worthless but since you get multiple with one ration and they exist for anyone with a CID and you might want to count labour cost - we'll give them 5 tokens.

Charcoal is garnered from wood, therein crafting planks as a default - smelting them down, then smelting the wooden parts down. So to do this you need 6 wood 6 metal (300 tokens). Smelt that down for a chance at an extra charcoal which you're not gonna get and 3 wood parts, 3 parts attribute to 3 charcoal as a default. 300 divided by 3 is 100.

All in all we have a baseline for materials and guns

I'll now be using these to translate material costs.
    I've made an old guide with even more maths just above, but that's not what you're here for.

(Reminder that 1 metal piece = 1 SBC)

1 Metal piece = 1 SBC
    1 Cloth piece = 0.75 SBC
    1 Wood piece = 1.5 SBC
    1 Plastic piece = 0.25 SBC
    1 Charcoal piece = 5 SBC

In short, if you have the materials and you asked someone to craft a USP-M from scratch, it would cost you 100 metal 5 charcoal 40 plastic or 135 SBC.
    Example of 135 SBC would be 135 7.62 rounds or 90 SMG Rounds.
    Do the maths individually if you care for trading this way.

Railway will be charging bullets when they have the components on hand, however you want to approach this is entirely up to you individually.

• nebulous nebulous x 16
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Trains

Trains ms paint artist extraordinaire
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    so does this mean bullets will be more common now

• Optimistic Optimistic x 10
    • nebulous nebulous x 1
  3. nexus

Nebulae:
    tweak for gunpowder/primer rates are in talks, just establishing the economy standard rn both in the railway faction and to public view

• nebulous nebulous x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  4. Grand

Grand out of retirement
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Aint no way 99% of the players who come to us Railway members asking for services have spare- if any ammunition at all.

It’s incredibly cool, and an awesome idea, but we need more ammunition in circulation.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. echs dee

echs dee Atom

Nebulae:
    guys fuck it
    lets trade in glocks.
    easier to get

6. afric

afric Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    im going to call sbc mgr and you cant stop me

• nebulous nebulous x 4
  7. PilotBland

PilotBland community antagonizer
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    no ammo disallows this new function to seem useless

8. '77 East

'77 East Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    See, when I wrote my old guide for currency up I tied the average bullet to dollars and cents.

This meant each bullet retained enough worth that people shotcopping would quickly chew through their wallet, people starting out could take a small amount and 'buy in' to the rebelRP scene, and people who took part in events wouldn't be committing economic suicide provided they weren't being left with nothing.

It also meant that:
    • People mugging cops wouldn't become millionaires overnight.
    • People hoarding crafting materials couldn't covert their mats into an instant-profit and hoard the ammunition.
    • People material farming couldn't corner the economy.
    These are flaws of this current system.

Why not cloth, or metal or any other crafting component?
    You can buy all those from raw tokens en-masse via scrapping certain items, then simply convert them from X box of Y material straight to bullets.

Let's say someone buys 16 cans per two hours, at a cost of 240 tokens.

That's eight metal pieces minimum. Sixteen maximum. At half a day's progress that's forty eight pieces or alternatively ninety six, if they were having a very good day. More than enough to buy a box of anything that's on that list.

So what are you getting at?

Tying it to metal is a huge mistake because people are vastly unlikely to craft ammunition as gunpowder and primers remain event-only loot unless you score the equivalent of a jackpot after finding a lootspawn that isn't picked clean, a rarity in itself.

All this means is that metal continues to be the new 'pseudo-currency' and instead of people taking their cabinet's worth of the crap and crafting it into useful things, they're going to keep hoarding it and buy all the ammunition up and hoard that too.

9. PilotBland

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I think ammo has an already absurd amount of use. It’s absolutely necessary to retain and work to get more munitions as it is an unsourcable material that’s been nerfed on how you get it and logical step ups have been disallowed, (sulfur + charcoal = GP).

people need more ammo, it doesn’t need more uses to be spent to a group that doesn’t use it whatsoever. This feels like a wrong step from Railway. Ammo is already absurdly valuable.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  10. Grand

Grand out of retirement
    HL2 RP Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Although, I want to add that the feature itself is very nice. Works like a charm, and it solved a lot of problems when it comes to the distribution, selling, or buying of ammunition. No longer are we forced into selling ammunition exclusively in full boxes. This makes ammunition much more affordable, since you no longer have to put together enough resources to purchase a full box, and you may now barter for a smaller quantity instead.

A great addition to the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nexus

Nebulae:
    • nebulous nebulous x 2
  12. PilotBland

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    The changes aren't in so I can't criticize nothing yet, but I don't think 'twice as easy' is if anything easy.

Especially since ammo crafting... now costs bullets to craft from getting it from a trader. Nor are script spawns that reliable, right?

13. Andrew

Andrew Nucleus
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    i like this
    but i still like tokens more
    i can throw tokens into the air and have them rain on me in joy
    bullets are too sharp and heavy to do that

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nexus

Nebulae:
    naw bullets are the exception, buying bullets with bullets is a bit silly pilotman

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer i like firetruck and moster truck
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    invest in crypto ammo

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  16. PilotBland

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    i think buying anything with bullets with how rare they are is silly too just feels like an unnecessary sink

i have a lot of bullets myself this isnt... for me this is for... kinda anyone else in the room who doesn't

17. ovxy

ovxy transhumanist
    Media Developer Premium Member

Nebulae:
    bullets will be less rare now, or so they claim

18. nexus

Nebulae:
    the component makeup that results in bullets being rare is now on one end entirely attainable through simple crafting - and the other part is easily scavengable, a raised value over an already high droprate. feel it out for a bit if it's still a genuine problem in a few weeks then you complain and we can probably tweak it more. i wouldnt make it an issue before its an issue especially when shit's been altered already. yes it'll be a rough start, an economy doesn't establish in a day.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  19. PilotBland

Premium Member

Nebulae:
    been a bit longer than a day which is why this skepticism is apparent

20. nexus

Nebulae:
    thanks, it doesnt establish in a week either. but if its still an issue in a few im sure i can think up some stuff to be make it more available xoxo.

• Late Late x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice