Valve taking down TF2 Source 2 for s&box, Portal 64

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

Valve recently filed a DMCA (confirmed authentic by Amper Software) in regards to their project of porting TF2 to s&box, using Source 2. While the project was in development for 3 years, it looks like it's the end of the line.

At the same time, another project, Portal 64 was cancelled at request of Valve, however no DMCA was filed.

I personally think that Valve is justified for s&box, considering it's a 1:1 port. Unlike other mods like Black Mesa, which recreate Half Life 1, this mod runs on a monetized game (s&box) that unlike Gmod is not allowed to use any Valve assets.

I'm only a bit sad over Portal 64, although considering Nintendo and all, this may have been a very sensible move.

Now I believe this also shows a sad truth: s&box will obviously be unable to use any source assets which were half the fun of Gmod. I'm curious how it'll go for them.

Reactions: List

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
I'm only a bit sad over Portal 64, although considering Nintendo and all, this may have been a very sensible move.

This was obviously going to happen as it uses Nintendo libraries and Valve basically contacted the guy like "hey looks cool but there's this issue". It's a really bad idea to approach Nintendo in any way that isn't under their specific, stupidly tight terms, and Valve knows this.

Now I believe this also shows a sad truth: s&box will obviously be unable to use any source assets which were half the fun of Gmod. I'm curious how it'll go for them.

Don't think that's what it portrays, the issue here is not that Valve assets were being used, it was more the fact that a whole game was being copied and ported over to a different platform, or in Garry's words:

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
This was obviously going to happen as it uses Nintendo libraries and Valve basically contacted the guy like "hey looks cool but there's this issue". It's a really bad idea to approach Nintendo in any way that isn't under their specific, stupidly tight terms, and Valve knows this.

Don't think that's what it portrays, the issue here is not that Valve assets were being used, it was more the fact that a whole game was being copied and ported over to a different platform, or in Garry's words:

Yah don't think I supported the team it was blatant asset ripping to a different game that is paid for also. Dev team should've consulted Valve Legal first, I guess that got forgotten in the excitement, sadly

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
Yah don't think I supported the team it was blatant asset ripping to a different game that is paid for also. Dev team should've consulted Valve Legal first, I guess that got forgotten in the excitement, sadly

I'm thinking there was no malice involved at all, from neither side, it's just how things go

Wish Valve would re-release TF2 on Source 2 but that's like asking them for a proper anti-cheat

Nebulae
I'm thinking there was no malice involved at all, from neither side, it's just how things go

Wish Valve would re-release TF2 on Source 2 but that's like asking them for a proper anti-cheat
all this points to eventually releasing tf2 on source 2
you'll see

otherwise there's no point DMCA'ing these projects.
same happeend with cs2 fan made projects. They went on recreating csgo on source 2, then valve thought, then valve digested, then they dmca'd then kept silent, then cs2 hit

Señor Jaggles

Local Spaniard
Nebulae
you'll see

same happeend with cs2 fan made projects. They went on recreating csgo on source 2, then valve thought, then valve digested, then they dmca'd then kept silent, then cs2 hit

Or they simply don't like people migrating a game to another game engine of theirs without permission

But it would make sense what you say, after all Black Mesa exists

rob

Nebulae
you'll see

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
we'll get hl3 before a tf2 port

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
we'll get hl3 before a tf2 port