Very Slow Loading, Hard Drive always at 100% Usage

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Alright, so I'm playing on a Lenovo Ideapad 110 , the link to it here: https://www.lenovo.com/ch/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series-/IdeaPad-110-15IBR-/p/88IP1000708

I understand, it's just a Laptop and all, but Garry's Mod should still run fine, and Singleplayer is alright, with usually over 60+ FPS. But Multiplayer, oh boy. I loaded in a great autoconfig which brought some of my worst Laptops to their best, and a few months ago, I used an arguably worse Autoexec, and I still somehow got 20-40+ FPS. But now, I am lucky to even get over 20.

So of course, I was slightly worried. I remember that my CPU had some major issues once on my old Computer (Desktop) so I thought 'alright, it's the CPU' but it wasn't apparently. Then, I decided to check the RAM, of course, no Problems. And then, after having a glimpse on Harddrive Usage... 100% used at all times, and only sometimes falling to 60%, at random moments, before jumping up to 100 again. Reading Speed is usually below 1 MB, same for Writing Speed. That is the Problem!

So, after searching the Web for 2 Days straight, I found no results. I tried pretty much everything I could find, either it didn't work, or it made Things worse in some points. It's crazy, and really, I just want to Play some Garry's Mod, since that'd be the only Game that works on this Lappy. I would appreciate any help, it would make Things a lot more fun for me, and not just wait 20 Minutes to join a Server, before timing out three times, to join a Server, finally, and not be able to Play because of absolutely horrible FPS.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
How long have you had it for?

It's not mine, but I suggest about ~1 Year. Pretty old thing, last time I personally used it was 4 Months ago. I only use it when I'm at my Uncle's Place basically.

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
It's not mine, but I suggest about ~1 Year. Pretty old thing, last time I personally used it was 4 Months ago. I only use it when I'm at my Uncle's Place basically.
You should try defragging then, if you don't have an SSD

Reactions: List

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
You should try defragging then, if you don't have an SSD

Did that, apparently it defragged over 20%, downloaded an external program, but it absolutely made no difference. Right now I'm running a Full Virus Scan using Avast, hope it helps a bit. Also, no SSD.

P.S: For Defrag, should I really use another Program,or basically Windows Defragger? If so, which one is the best?

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
Did that, apparently it defragged over 20%, downloaded an external program, but it absolutely made no difference. Right now I'm running a Full Virus Scan using Avast, hope it helps a bit. Also, no SSD.

P.S: For Defrag, should I really use another Program,or basically Windows Defragger? If so, which one is the best?
Windows defragger I believe, though I can't remember the last time I've had to defrag since I have an SSD

A virus might also be what is slowing you down if one is within your system so finish that check first

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Windows defragger I believe, though I can't remember the last time I've had to defrag since I have an SSD

A virus might also be what is slowing you down if one is within your system so finish that check first

Thanks for all the help so far bro. I'll wait for the Results, then get back to you. I'll also let it defrag during the Night, so hopefully that'll change anything.

Northgate

HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
I'll check Disk Health soon, it's really weird. I made a full Virus Scan, Multiple Defrags, Optimizations, Uninstalls, now I have around 200 GB Free Space but no Sign of Improvement. Is there any chance of giving my Hard Drive a quick revive?

aperson

Molecule
Nebulae
I'll check Disk Health soon, it's really weird. I made a full Virus Scan, Multiple Defrags, Optimizations, Uninstalls, now I have around 200 GB Free Space but no Sign of Improvement. Is there any chance of giving my Hard Drive a quick revive?
Might be time to start backing up important files and stuff, just in case

Spine

All toasters toast toast.
Nebulae
Yeah, Windows 10.
Just Google 'Windows 10 consumes a lot of cpu' and follow that tutorial, most of it is usual pointless visual stuff that you can do without.

DreadDK

Proton
Nebulae
100% disk use is a common bug on Windows 10. You can try to run chkdsk.

Here's a guide on how to do it
Click Windows key + X

Select Command Prompt (Admin)
761b079f1f5cc683e2d7c73def536cc2.png

When it requests permission say yes
af68a2f1fc48b6392dc3c2cabeb2059b.png

Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x (Replace C; if it's another hardrive)
739bf90debd1f81dea2abb1ad54cba0b.png

Then it'll ask to run at next restart, type in yes or y
c19177477b08f3e097a7e9ae016394a5.png

This can take a lot of time and don't worry if it appears to be stuck at a specific %, just let it work.

When it's done and you get shown the Windows repair blue screen, there should be an option to launch from the next drive and that should solve it.