Watching paint dry

Discussion in 'Half-Life 2 Roleplay' started by Mute, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:23 AM.

1. Mute

Mute Rictal-Approved

Nebulae:
    A long time ago, most likely in 2019 I can't really remember, I played an event by @Snowl

To sum it up, he was on his Terminal char and called two people through a broadcast to come by the office to aid with a task, only two people showed up.

The event itself was comprised of us two watching paint dry while his character takes a detailed dump in the next room over. I initially liked the event, but for the wrong reason, being I just wanted to lick his ass and praise him for his supposed 'genius' due to his status alone, an idea that was/is present in pretty much every player whether they accept it or not it happens. A while later I realised just how stupid that fucking event was and joked about it.

Why would he call two random dudes into the office to watch paint dry in a tiny room? Why was it important? Did the terminal have no other employees that could do this task?

Recently I've come to a bit of a turnaround in that thinking, I don't think it was genius per say, and I don't know if Snowl was just shitposting through his events out of boredom, or just cause he can get away with it, but I don't want to know his reasoning as I've given it my own meaning.

For a long time I played HL2RP in a very mechanical way, my characters simply existed, sometimes they had goals. It was very, very boring. In fact, I'd compare the entire gamemode to watching paint dry, in essence waiting for something to happen. Don't know why, it was what I was used to.

These themes tend to sort of echo throughout Snowl's other events though, typically comprised of new characters, without any meaning or goal in some confined space, doing nothing, maybe something happens, maybe something doesn't. It didn't really matter in the end cause they'd usually die, and if they didn't there was no consequence to their actions.

I find myself in a bit of an odd position here. In the later stages of the initial Helix timeline people were very, very polarized between attempting to upkeep the old, for what I believe to just be outright nostalgia or longing for a time where the server was more populated, active, and something that many people I've talked to agree on, a period that had more character, not in the sense of characters but personality- and the new. The new was comprised of radical reforms and changes in an attempt to meld the server into something that made more sense, as the initial installment of HL2RP was quite absurd. Reasoning was given to a lot of stuff, there were major pushes that, even when they succeded resulted in nothing. This was also an attempt to bring the server back to its heyday, just in another way. These people are both equally valid, as in the end, they wanted whats best for the server, even if they don't want to admit it, these changes were proposed because people were passionate enough to want to see a change, to make the server entertaining.

As I said I see myself in an odd position as I tended to not fall into either category, some changes I think were better, like doing away with the needless killing for random shit, some were just because people wanted change and the outrage behind them was very stupid, like maskless cops which would change nothing, or human dispatch would again, change nothing, or the outrage over the CWU's name, which again, meant fucking nothing. Threads popping up accusing faction x or y about z in an attempt to change it for no reason, or in other cases attempts to gain ownership over them.

And in the end all those hardfought battles over the forums, which I participated in myself were for nothing, considering most of the people that fought for the changes don't play, and the server has changed so much from what it "was" that most of the classic players have quit. I don't play it myself too, and I don't think I'll return unless I want to tell some stories even if changes were made, simply because I've had enough of watching paint dry.

This thread will likely end the same way.

I said that previous part because I feel like the new changes were made in an attempt to rationalize the world our characters inhabited. Why did the combine do X? Why are people killed for Y? This lore should be expanded on- What's even the point of this faction and why do they do that?

Again, some changes I think were for the better, but I think HL2RP was at its best when things didn't make sense, they just were. At the same time the server was the most active that it was, was it hype? I don't know, but something worked back then.

I think HL2RP was always about watching paint dry, it's just that people later on tried to deconstruct and give meaning to watching the paint dry. It was always about giving yourself a goal, or your own motivation, the overreliance on other people to accomplish that for you is also what lead to the downfall. Refusal to adapt, and the part staff and event creators played in another attempt to give meaning to these characters is what I believe sort of destroyed it.

We still had fun during that Snowl event cause we made the most of it

The combine existed, they did these things, why? Their reasons aren't something we can understand or are told about, but people rebelled against them. In an attempt to rationalize it, and by having people tell us why were watching the paint dry, or why was the wall painted, or what paint it was, or when it would dry, or how its unfair that some people get to watch it dry and for others its harder to see it and how there should be a workaround, or how long its been drying's sorta ruined it.

Changes were made, reverted, and the universe has sort of fallen back into the absurd, but in a way the damage has been done. I'm happy that those that find fun in it do.

I think Snowl's event sort of echoed HL2RP on a smaller scale, it is something you're supposed to give your own meaning to with minimal input from others, it's not a medium that is supposed to make sense, you in essence live in a purgatory which will most likely never amount to nothing, some people give it a reason by attempting to grind for the best weapon, or status, or rank. Others play characters simply to talk with other people. Some people fight for a valiant cause, others oppose it. The result of the final event was the culmination of these, a point of singularity. All these attempts to give meaning to the paint and why we're watching it dry- Or in this case needless changes and demands from people who aren't even watching it lead to it collapsing on itself and starting anew.

I think people should've accepted that we're just watching the paint dry.

#1 Mute, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:23 AM
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    • nebulous nebulous x 19
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Andrew

Andrew Atom
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Ok

• Dumb Truck Dumb Truck x 1
  3. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Prophet of Difference
    Media Developer

Nebulae:
  4. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
  5. Grand

Grand out of retirement
    HL2 RP Senior Administrator Premium Member

Nebulae:
    Isn’t all gaming just “watching paint dry” in a sense where you’re just entertaining yourself for a short whole before having to return to reality?

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  6. Thood74

Thood74 Atom
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    I wonder if Snowl knew his smash hit event 'Watching Paint Dry' would end up being used as a microcosm for HL2RP as a whole

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  7. Andrew

Andrew Atom
    Premium Member

Nebulae:
    @Snowl
    gonna need an after-action debrief on this bowel movement

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  8. sots

sots community bear

Nebulae:
    looking forward to more new poop events

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  9. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved

Nebulae:

I sang and recorded this while on the toilet holding in a dump

• nebulous nebulous x 7
  10. Dallas

Dallas event guy

Nebulae:
    event sounded pretty funny

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  11. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    I unironically just walked away from my computer at one point and didn't tell the players I was gone for like an hour

• nebulous nebulous x 5
  12. Grand

Grand out of retirement

Nebulae:
    damn, you just had your homies wait an hour for you to return?

13. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    I randomly tricked two players online into playing and tpd them into a room they couldn't escape and made them watch paint dry in an event

14. Grand

Grand out of retirement

Nebulae:
    Chad

15. Sil

Sil jus one more fing

Nebulae:
    snowl is like the hp lovecraft of event making.

absolutely batshit and strays from the norm, ending up creating events that are so avant garde they're the embodiment of kino and are true pieces of art, yet is plagued with degrading sanity and questionable ethics

from the times i took part in his events, they were great. definitely would recommend them.

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. surra

surra `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    simp

17. dvn

dvn Molecule

Nebulae:
    snowl took a shit in 2019 and managed to squeeze this out two years later
    [​IMG]

• nebulous nebulous x 3
  18. FreeSpy443

FreeSpy443 Nucleus

Nebulae:
  19. Snowl

Snowl `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
  20. hawke

hawke Proton

Nebulae:
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but apparently taking a dump is worth more.

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice