Draft Weight Based Inventory Concept

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Been cooking up a concept for a weight based inventory system inspired by Project Zomboid. Curious on feedback, not sure if this will be going out or not, still in an exploratory phase.

The idea is to create a weight based system which works within the framework of Helix's current inventory system, meaning the grid will stay.

Players will have a main inventory & weight, which will be an accumulation of all items in the inventory. Bags have a seperate capacity, which also counts towards the player's total weight.
zjS4zn2.jpg

Bags can be equipped to apply a weight modifier, which will lower the impact it has on the player's total weight
rYm3gBi.jpg

pN5piQc.jpg

Containers and vaults also have a maximum weight capacity
ZMZjW95.jpg

T8r2DMK.jpg

The player's main inventory capacity is able to exceed the limit, however this will result in overweight penalties.
Bags and containers are not able to exceed their limits.
VgYWQwL.jpg

ajiolnT.png

Stackable items have a dynamic weight, which will change depending on the quantity of the stack
pzf9dWe.jpg

BugyblB.jpg

As I've said before, all of this is a proof of concept and nothing which is planned to go on server - weights are not balanced currently and are all over the place.

So yeah, feedback would be cool

Thood74

Molecule
Premium Member
Nebulae
Will max weight be a faction variable?

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
will strength/endurance effect overall weight and if so will strength be altered so it is actually able to go up, otherwise combine players get a massive advantage with auto maxed out stats

Note: This is coming from a decently active day one character I have 0.2 strength

Reactions: List

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
will strength/endurance effect overall weight and if so will strength be altered so it is actually able to go up, otherwise combine players get a massive advantage with auto maxed out stats

Note: This is coming from a decently active day one character I have 0.2 strength
I'm against the idea of incentivizing attribute farming, so currently they don't have an impact

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
I'm against the idea of incentivizing attribute farming, so currently they don't have an impact
Awesome. Another thing
I have 1 travelling
4 pouches
1 bag

Will there be limit on how many “carrying” containers you can have; will it be like clockwork there you have a set amount of points which denote how many containers you can carry?

Will only movement speed be effected by carrying capacity or will stamina will be effected also?

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Awesome. Another thing
I have 1 travelling
4 pouches
1 bag

Will there be limit on how many “carrying” containers you can have; will it be like clockwork there you have a set amount of points which denote how many containers you can carry?

Will only movement speed be effected by carrying capacity or will stamina will be effected also?
Currently there's a single backpack spot which includes all container types, will probably swap this out for unique pouch/backpack spots, may start off light as it'll be easy to accidentally give too much space with the system

Currently it is just movement speed but that can change

Ond

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
The whole charm of weight based inventory was to get rid of the obscenely annoying grid Tetris minigame - for me personally

ovxy

infamous instigator
Media Developer
Premium Member
Nebulae
The whole charm of weight based inventory was to get rid of the obscenely annoying grid Tetris minigame - for me personally
It’s, unfortunately, a fundament of helix so it’s not easy to get rid of

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
It’s, unfortunately, a fundament of helix so it’s not easy to get rid of
I feel it can be mitigated slightly by making the inventory grid huge, but naturally you have to worry about being overweight

'77 East

`impulse-approved
Nebulae
key problem with the grid system is a bunch of presumably weightless trinkets take up the same space as a hunting rifle if there's four or more

feedback would be cool
being able to have only a few of each specific storage type (instead of filling your inventory with backpacks) would be neat

o you can only carry one backpack (but the backpack gives the most storage, better backpacks give more, etc)
o other storage types would be belts, holsters (max 2), rifle sling, bags & pouches, some of these could be optimised for specific items

(e.g rifle sling is 1x5 or whatever fits a bulky rifle, encourage players to use them with weight modifiers over dumping guns in a backpack)

personally, I liked the Tetris, I get why people don't but I found it fun, it was like a little mini-game for me
grid system without the ability to rotate items is shite

especially when 4 cans of soda take up the same space as a submachinegun, just encourages people to dump their custom scripts / heirlooms for "that extra gun"

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Is there any areas or specific reasonings? As I've stated in the thread multiple times (to try and make it clear that it is just a concept)

looking for actual feedback regarding it

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
key problem with the grid system is a bunch of presumably weightless trinkets take up the same space as a hunting rifle if there's four or more
Multiple bags can still exist within your inventory, which will basically make trinket storage endless, since the low weight will have barely any impact on the carrying weight even without the equip modifier

maxi

maxiboy
Nebulae
idk i dont think weight and grid should coexist together it'll just make it even more frustrating to manage inventory

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
idk i dont think weight and grid should coexist together it'll just make it even more frustrating to manage inventory
Each item is like 1 slot bro we can just up the number of slots in a person's inventory since slots are obsolete

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
My only request is to make things have a more realistic weight this time around tbh.

It'll piss people off (because the main reason anyone even wants a weight based system is to carry 500 rounds + 20 guns + 4 suits ala LP/CW) but it'll solve the main reason people wanted it axed for Helix.