Draft Weight Based Inventory Concept

STUCK IN A CAKE

Molecule
Nebulae
My only request is to make things have a more realistic weight this time around tbh.

It'll piss people off (because the main reason anyone even wants a weight based system is to carry 500 rounds + 20 guns + 4 suits ala LP/CW) but it'll solve the main reason people wanted it axed for Helix.
Yeah - custom suits that give 100kg of storage space lmao

Personally I just wanna carry a bunch of smaller items, tools and other trinkets/custom scripts without it clogging the rest of my inventory

Reactions: List

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae

Personally I just wanna carry a bunch of smaller items, tools and other trinkets/custom scripts without it clogging the rest of my inventory

Rebels when the... when the weight based inventory is added.

Nebulae
Very important thing with weight based stuff,
is correct weight for items themselves

no idea how much work THAT is gonna take, to weight check EVERY script item for its correct weight, and when adding new scripts, assigning them weight and stuff
seems quite a system that adds weight on the developer himself, to assign everything its weight in the catalogue is def some work

also, all chars got their inventory full of trinkets that make their rp sometimes,
if that gets limited to weight too, idk whats the benefit from weight based systems, since the whole rp schema is often about moving around, and changing environments, and less about having stashes and storage places, (other than the new system of farming tokens for a container somewhere)
sure if we perhaps had access to basic containers like Clockwork hl2rp had, with basic apartments f2 buy door, so you could offload your food scripts
those that got inventory full of guns, will get access for an auth'd container anyway, so its not their worry to balance weight
so who is it designed to limit? tough to say from my perspective

but i dont see the benefit at all there honestly,
not yet, not until more important prerequisites take place, like even buyable rooms somewhere, so the common bluesuit could offload some scripts if he gets too heavy

ITS A GREAT CONCEPT, but in the current moment its unneeded, without some extras to balance it

Last edited:

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Very important thing with weight based stuff,
is correct weight for items themselves

no idea how much work THAT is gonna take, to weight check EVERY script item for its correct weight, and when adding new scripts, assigning them weight and stuff

seems quite a system that adds weight on the developer himself, to assign everything its weight in the catalogue is def some work
We've been wanting to do some item size changes, but the current setup means it is impossible to increase the size of an item without breaking the person's inventory

deathwolf

I AM SPIDERMAN, GRIST LIES! I AM HIM REALLY! ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
My only request is to make things have a more realistic weight this time around tbh.

It'll piss people off (because the main reason anyone even wants a weight based system is to carry 500 rounds + 20 guns + 4 suits ala LP/CW) but it'll solve the main reason people wanted it axed for Helix.
i provided real weights for every gun but they aren't being used apparently guns will weight more than their real life counterpart which I feel is silly billy sauce

Tinbe

Molecule
Nebulae
Custom suits already have a hard cap for maximum armor (and there's no way to alter the dmg resistance value itself), so it won't be hard to code a max weight limit as well for whenever a custom outfit is made in-game.

Numbers

ok
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
i provided real weights for every gun but they aren't being used apparently guns will weight more than their real life counterpart which I feel is silly billy sauce
Its not about how much they weigh its about how you cram a fucking m401a1 into your backpack

The weight numbers are just there to simulate both how heavy it is and how easy it is to shove into your backpack space ic

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Its not about how much they weigh its about how you cram a fucking m401a1 into your backpack

The weight numbers are just there to simulate both how heavy it is and how easy it is to shove into your backpack space ic
yeah i'd keep the gun outside of my backpack if it had a realistic weight, have it so guns don't get the weight reduction in backpacks but have their REAL LIFE weight and life would be gucci

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
Realistic values just introduce another avenue of balancing which can't be controlled

An MP7 weighs 1.9kg, but it wouldn't be realistic to carry twenty of them around in your backpack either even if that's the theoretical capacity

constantdisplay

nokia talk 2002
Nebulae
Is there any areas or specific reasonings? As I've stated in the thread multiple times (to try and make it clear that it is just a concept)

looking for actual feedback regarding it
im just being stupid, after looking at the post properly it doesnt look that bad, i just think balancing item weights could get annoying. id say if the weight system is implemented it would be good if it was balanced around how many items you can carry with the current system instead of around "realistic" item weights

Bio Junior

Nucleus
Nebulae
Weight based inventory is and always will be superior to the grid system, but unless you plan on expanding the size of the grid system BY A LOT (to account for backpack space, custom suits space etc etc) to make them work together (plus reduce the size of the script to 1 square like someone said), I don't think they should ever be mixed.

In my honest opinion, I don't know how Helix works but if there's a way to just remove grid and use weight great, otherwise, I find it hard to believe the system will work well as a mixture, unless what's said in the paragraph above is done

Gary

Developer
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
im just being stupid, after looking at the post properly it doesnt look that bad, i just think balancing item weights could get annoying. id say if the weight system is implemented it would be good if it was balanced around how many items you can carry with the current system instead of around "realistic" item weights
Current plans for balancing is to grab some current setups and work it off there, rather than realism to @deathwolf 's dismay

Weight based inventory is and always will be superior to the grid system, but unless you plan on expanding the size of the grid system BY A LOT (to account for backpack space, custom suits space etc etc) to make them work together (plus reduce the size of the script to 1 square like someone said), I don't think they should ever be mixed.

In my honest opinion, I don't know how Helix works but if there's a way to just remove grid and use weight great, otherwise, I find it hard to believe the system will work well as a mixture, unless what's said in the paragraph above is done
I mean plan is to increase inventory/bag sizes, you'll probably be able to carry 80-100 scripts, which if you're hitting those numbers, a hard cap honestly doesn't sound like a bad thing.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
rather than realism to @deathwolf 's disma
O5UFuAo.jpg

Deleted member 906

Molecule
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Correct me if I wrong, but with the grid system existing, you'd always hit a dead end anyway when it came to the inventory since you've only be limited by the amount of slots you possess. Resized icons or not.

deathwolf

GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
Correct me if I wrong, but with the grid system existing, you'd always hit a dead end anyway when it came to the inventory since you've only be limited by the amount of slots you possess. Resized icons or not.
they are going to resize backpacks to have 100 slots n shit

Revanox

Nucleus
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Nebulae
Realistic values just introduce another avenue of balancing which can't be controlled

An MP7 weighs 1.9kg, but it wouldn't be realistic to carry twenty of them around in your backpack either even if that's the theoretical capacity
you can though IRL? Screenshots of cartel weapon smuggling show what ludicrous amount you can do with AK47 in crates, a good travelling backpack can easily carry atleast 10 MP7s when doing it smart (They arent as big as you think IRL)