What's Next? - HL2RP: Early Days

fofa

Atom
Nebulae
Civil Services have had a slow rollout because it's Easter. But when I'm back home (today) I'll put greater focus on the goals for this iteration that are gonna add to some of the more interesting elements of this iteration. Especially with companies, you may see some interesting developments after the first week, which we really want to purely focus on letting characters interact and the city to slowly develop.
my issues aren't inherently with the work shifts - they're moreso with the fact that your usual player has no agency in these matters, we have to depend on the civil services to clear out the rubble, and in my case, also on the progenitor arm since our bar is on the outskirts of the district

Reactions: List

Coldflame

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
my issues aren't inherently with the work shifts - they're moreso with the fact that your usual player has no agency in these matters, we have to depend on the civil services to clear out the rubble, and in my case, also on the progenitor arm since our bar is on the outskirts of the district
yeah this has been a big factor for the nest group, we've been pretty consistently pushing IC to get the bar cleared out but it seems like it's just not being allowed until a certain amount of time has passed

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

But you don't have to rely on CS, that's the thing. I have previously told people to go nuts, assemble their own workforce to clear things out. Along that, I gave out massive grants to all businesses which applied to give them a headstart and hire their own personnel (or fund their own clearing of rubble)

if you however think that wasn't communicated clearly enough from me I really apologize!! i'll try to get the ball rolling immediately :)

Coldflame

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
But you don't have to rely on CS, that's the thing. I have previously told people to go nuts, assemble their own workforce to clear things out. Along that, I gave out massive grants to all businesses which applied to give them a headstart and hire their own personnel (or fund their own clearing of rubble)

if you however think that wasn't communicated clearly enough from me I really apologize!! i'll try to get the ball rolling immediately :)
can we clear the bar out without CS approval then?

Northgate

:D
HL2 RP Administrator
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

absolutely! that was the idea regardless, CS is supposed to be relatively "slow" and get businesses to invest their tokens

although it is my fault for not being too available in the past day sorry :/

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
i did kind of think there'd be more tension between the two factions, with PA being outgunned but having more men? will see how it turns out

More to come - There's conflict already brewing between the PA and the CP. Shit's happened, and shit is going to go down...

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae

I myself was all for getting that pub open but then we (The PA) got reports of people being injured there. I arrived on-scene and then antlions and all sorts of shit starting being spawned so we had to evacuate people and then subsequently condemn the building itself due to a whole ass Guard appearing to push us out.

Discussions are being had between the staff about granting players far more autonomy with what they can clear out in the future (and for it to have a visual impact) so you can hopefully expect a positive change on that front soon.

Coldflame

Proton
Premium Member
Nebulae
I myself was all for getting that pub open but then we (The PA) got reports of people being injured there. I arrived on-scene and then antlions and all sorts of shit starting being spawned so we had to evacuate people and then subsequently condemn the building itself due to a whole ass Guard appearing to push us out.

Discussions are being had between the staff about granting players far more autonomy with what they can clear out in the future (and for it to have a visual impact) so you can hopefully expect a positive change on that front soon.
yeah I get the IC stuff involved in it and if it were an evolving situation that'd be cool, but it hasn't seem to have moved beyond that point at all and any attempt to investigate it on our part through what seemed to be the proper channels has largely ended up caught in some form of red tape instead of making any progress.

the impression i had is that CS were OOCly pacing stuff out - and when we tried to get it done, the antilion stuff came across as an OOC stonewall rather than an IC problem to be solved. if that was a miscommunication, then i guess it's less of an issue and we'll try find our own way to resolve it

Provingmedusa

Scourge of Antlions
HL2 RP Administrator
Nebulae
yeah I get the IC stuff involved in it and if it were an evolving situation that'd be cool, but it hasn't seem to have moved beyond that point at all and any attempt to investigate it on our part through what seemed to be the proper channels has largely ended up caught in some form of red tape instead of making any progress.

the impression i had is that CS were OOCly pacing stuff out - and when we tried to get it done, the antilion stuff came across as an OOC stonewall rather than an IC problem to be solved. if that was a miscommunication, then i guess it's less of an issue and we'll try find our own way to resolve it
The Antlions were most certainly an OOC wall imposed on us. We're discussing the bar's situation and you can likely expect progress with it today through certain means.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae

as someone with 10+ years of experience running D&D and putting roadblocks in front of players

do make it OOCly clear if something is a roadblock to be overcome, or if it's just there as a IC excuse to tell someone not to do something

if i see a battalion of 50 guards proteecting a checkpoint, i will assume the DM doesnt want me to interact with it. sometimes its good to just say "no seriously you can try this, this is just the opposition"

PepicWalrus

Electron
HL2 RP Senior Administrator
Premium Member
GTA RP Playtester
Nebulae
After general feedback and staff majority of approval we'll be getting shops and some of the clinic in a usable state now (if they haven't already I've been asleep all day). Apartments and the inner clinic will take time and the general state of the city to get it pristine also.

I've pitched a more clear building system to the staff team based off Laura's percent system from Rp_Fork last iteration thar gives control to the community for what gets done. But waiting for general consensus from the team before sharing it publicly and if we want to actually use it.

Nebulae
While I cannot speak for Postal, I agree with his post. The CityRP theme has been overplayed, and I've gotten bored of it. It's either that or I lack motivation, or both. It's not a server issue to explore a setting I have no interest in.

It's clear it's interested the majority, though; over 30 people are loving it, which is great for them ☺️

I would be genuinely interested if elements from the Outlands 2023 iteration were introduced, or even if we revisited the Outlands in its entirety, or something else. However, until then, and I hate to say this - especially knowing the efforts my friends are putting into the server - my interest is virtually zero :steamsad:
City rp is great when it has vibrance to it that we can interact with.
Open businesses interesting POIs, and dynamic events.
So that i await

But i skidaddled away from any workshift i saw so far, cant man, cant.
Rock break break rock slashme slams picks up

Oswald

Fish
Nebulae
Personally I think the odd rock break shift is fine now and then to give the players a sense of development. But maybe if there were more dangerous/engaging ones. Like a small team going into the sewers to fix a water filter but they are hunted by a spookie zombie idfk