Not open for further replies.

linntrix

pilotbland's best friend
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
line.png

neblogopurpl.png

line.png

Now that we've been on break for nearly a week, I think it's time we share what our current ideas are regarding what comes next for the server. While the gamemode itself has basically ran its course in terms of what has been done, we hope that the ideas presented below will not only give nebulous something new and refreshing to try out, but also give us the opportunity to see how well this approach works, or doesn't. These are all rough ideas, and we're asking you to help us develop them into something more.

All we ask is for you to keep an open mind, discuss how you feel about the following ideas in a critical way without blowing things into an argument.
line.png

— Skill Progression
The idea is scary at first, though I can assure you that this will not be a major focus for character development whatsoever. RP will always be the main focus of the server, though we feel as if implementing a gameplay mechanic like this will not only lessen the serious nature to a miniscule degree, it will also give players the opportunity to break free from walls of text and actually play a video game. The super serious nature of HL2RP has been slowly fading out from what's considered 'meta', so finding a middle ground will help cater toward everyone.

TL;DR: Implement skills that progress character stats.

— Interactive Workshifts and More
Similar to the aforementioned 'wall of text' issue, we're looking into ways to take those grueling and overdone experiences and shift them toward gameplay mechanics. For example: Take item from table - Place item into machine - Hit the correct sequence of buttons in a user interface - Final product.

Beyond workshifts, we've yet to single out what else we can push in this direction, so feel free to suggest.

— Railway Market
Take the Tarkov Trader(s) and toss them into an HL2RP setting. Taking heavy inspiration from Escape From Tarkov, our goal with this is to offer an alternative way to progress your character without the help of events. Quests, trader reputation, trading (of course), etc. I personally think that this will be an outlet for people to get creative with other players - some quests could require multiple people - we can work around what's requested for this - but I do see a lot of good and potential ideas stemming from this.

— Tarkoutlands (Internal name, might run with 'Incursions')
An outlands server.
BUT. It will only be open X amount of times a week for Y amount of hours. Similar to the previous idea, heavy inspiration from Escape From Tarkov - this will be a high risk high reward activity where S2K is always active for everyone - lose all gear on death, NLR no refunds. Combine factions will be allowed to partake under restrictions (not yet decided) - think of them as Raiders from Tarkov, all rebels are the PMC/Scavs.
line.png

Like I said, these are all running ideas that have so far - we plan for a UI overhaul which hopefully won't take too long, but here's one concept we have so far that is still very early in it's design
(just want to see what everyone thinks - @boots)
0E0B797D-FC44-4507-A8CB-E5A1FC9D4790.png
line.png

Our Next Map (in progress)
rp_neb_c24district8_coast (@Toriwarior30055)
zn1rx1G.jpeg

DHdJHVI.jpeg

z2z8HFF.jpeg

uekUeCJ.jpeg

9mfGwtp.jpeg

Ricsow

professional retard
Media Developer
Nebulae
An outlands server.
BUT. It will only be open X amount of times a week for Y amount of hours. Similar to the previous idea, heavy inspiration from Escape From Tarkov - this will be a high risk high reward activity where S2K is always active for everyone - lose all gear on death, NLR no refunds. Combine factions will be allowed to partake under restrictions (not yet decided) - think of them as Raiders from Tarkov, all rebels are the PMC/Scavs.
so is this a second server to a CityRP server, or is it just a outlands server now

Reactions: List

Andrew

Atom
Nebulae
Overall interested in what anyone has to say.
Planning to work with big daddy boy on something soon to entice something. Should be a good time.

linntrix

pilotbland's best friend
HL2 RP Server Director
Nebulae
so is this a second server to a CityRP server, or is it just a outlands server now
It will be a second server, open for a limited amount of time throughout the week for players to enter and try to find gear, etc.

It will utilize the server portal plugin

alex

I do things.
Head Staff
Nebulae
An outlands server.
Players seemed to love expeditions in the past, something that you can enter/exit only at specific times could be a very good way to introduce high risk, high reward methods to gear up. Could definitely have a lot of betrayals or just outright S2K to steal gear.

boots

spooky skellys
Nebulae
Legit super hyped for these changes. I think we are moving in the right direction and closing down the server while we get things planned out is for the better.

Probably some people will cry about the changes, claiming they want vanilla and classic hl2rp but the numbers show that people just aren't interested in that and we need something else to keep players engaged. It's not so bad that there are things to grind, on the contrary, it's really good that there are 'side things' you can partake in that isn't necessarily walls of text, and we need to reach to a greater audience if we want the server to thrive.

Automation will be awesome to have, it gets a bit boring to do mundane actions just for the sake of RP. I know that in comparison to how it was a few years ago, people are a lot more memey with their /me's and I'm also a bit guilty of it, not everybody wants to write out a long sentence for a simple action that is obviously being done, such as taking an item or dropping an item. Simple things go a long way.

The tarklands server is something I'm really looking forward to, most players have a lot of PK-fear and won't do things on a character they have fully fleshed out just because they have money, know people and are geared. It'll be a nice change to actually see people do stuff like combat and heists for fun when the RP reward is big and the only fear you have is losing your gear.

Spicing up workshifts to make them be more action oriented as opposed to long walls of text is also something I'm happy about. It'll be nice if there are items to grab and take from one place, or physically package rations or something like that with an ingame system rather than just /me's (which btw nobody reads).

Tinbe

Atom
Nebulae
While I've previously spitballed theories about things like Ballistics attribute (e.g. improving recoil control and weapon reloading/handling speed) long ago, I don't think any technical quirks would pull me back right now, at least personally.

What made me stay was simply having stuff to do. Something that felt compelling narratively, not mechanically. Of course, I must confess this is due to my own lack of proactivity. The only reason I stuck around during previous iteration was because I had a character to complement @deathwolf 's own plans, and thus gaining a pre-established IC dynamic that ensured not every character was a complete stranger to my own.

Last time I had any genuine, personal drive was during my days in CAB. My character had clear goals, and in theory, I could progress with piecemeal objectives that would aid in the grand scheme of things. Alas, it was quite fallible, as IC dynamics oft ended up with my char telling others to do X, and simply waiting till they remembered to take care of it.

But I'm getting sidetracked here. For me, it's never been about the tokens, scripts and such. I just want something to do that would be interesting to roleplay. I've gone through CityRP for a decade at this point, and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't become little too mundane for me at this point.

Though it may sound like I'm giving context clues for more event-based, weekend-tailored structure, I must disagree. Arma 3 takes priority during those three specific evenings, and (forgive this analogy) the battle royale structure of "hundred people apply, only five may enter" type of events is especially exhausting. I don't have the creative output to make intriguing characters for one-offs - only for them to either be denied pre-event or die unsatisfyingly mid-event - again and again and again on the off-chance that I strike metaphorical gold.

I wish I had more concrete feedback to provide, but it's 1AM right now, and I'm terrible at defining these abstractions that dwell in my head.

Subeh

pitmaster
Nebulae
— Skill Progression
The idea is scary at first, though I can assure you that this will not be a major focus for character development whatsoever. RP will always be the main focus of the server, though we feel as if implementing a gameplay mechanic like this will not only lessen the serious nature to a miniscule degree, it will also give players the opportunity to break free from walls of text and actually play a video game. The super serious nature of HL2RP has been slowly fading out from what's considered 'meta', so finding a middle ground will help cater toward everyone.

TL;DR: Implement skills that progress character stats.
i really don't know why anybody thinks this is a good idea

look at how much something like crafting took away from rp and now you're wanting to go this route?

The super serious nature of HL2RP has been slowly fading out from what's considered 'meta'
this just isn't even a true statement to begin with

— Interactive Workshifts and More
Similar to the aforementioned 'wall of text' issue, we're looking into ways to take those grueling and overdone experiences and shift them toward gameplay mechanics. For example: Take item from table - Place item into machine - Hit the correct sequence of buttons in a user interface - Final product.

Beyond workshifts, we've yet to single out what else we can push in this direction, so feel free to suggest.
so you want to take a warn out, boring, done-a-million-times-over concept and give it mechanics? how do you expect a workshift to look any more appealing with this whatsoever?

— Railway Market
Take the Tarkov Trader(s) and toss them into an HL2RP setting. Taking heavy inspiration from Escape From Tarkov, our goal with this is to offer an alternative way to progress your character without the help of events. Quests, trader reputation, trading (of course), etc. I personally think that this will be an outlet for people to get creative with other players - some quests could require multiple people - we can work around what's requested for this - but I do see a lot of good and potential ideas stemming from this.
if this is the reforms i made for bmd then you haven't really explained them all that well and if this is something else entirely then it's vague to a point where i can't really understand it

idk i havent played escape from tarkov, maybe u should explain this a bit better considering not everybody's played it

An outlands server.
this is probably just going to have the same effect event server events have; a lot of people aren't going to give a singular hint of a shit for cityrp so they're just going to wait until the outlands server opens up, get on that, then piss off until it's open again

either have outlands or don't idk why the plunge can't just be taken

this sincerely looks like the team just has a hardon for escape from tarkov + you're making a very, very vague and weak attempt to break into a niche that other communities have broken into (i.e. gameplay mechanics, features, etc etc)

im not seeing anything here that's going to compliment rp or otherwise change it, not to mention you're trying cityrp again despite the fact like 95% of the community has said "we aren't going to bother if its cityrp again"

we hope that the ideas presented below will not only give nebulous something new and refreshing to try out,
there's nothing refreshing about any of this. you're not making an rp server look more appealing, you're trying to make it less of an rp server in an attempt to reign more people in.

e:

also its a dangerous game talking about dev work again considering the first time around

Draco9011xd

Quark
Nebulae
I honestly don’t see how it could hurt to explore these new possible changes as they may even better the community itself. It’s a clear sign that we need changes anyway to revitalise the server

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
An outlands server.
it would be so awesome.. it would be so cool...

Rabid

Rictal-Approved
Nebulae
I mean OL will always be up and playable, just not always open to go there. You get both. Its more-or-less like what LP did with Outlands 1.0.

Tinbe

Atom
Nebulae
In a way, I can understand why you'd want to try these things, linntrix. Mechanics are very tangible, and can be fitted and adjusted depending on the situation. However, storylines in general are a much tougher beast to tackle due to their abstract nature. Coding is a demanding task, yes, but once it's done, you can expect it to work as intended - or troubleshoot the code. Narrative, on the other hand, requires not only lots of planning, but also tons of flexibility if the players respond unexpectedly.

Patience is also important, because not only can this playerbase produce enough salt to preserve the foods of an entire kingdom over the most benign of issues, it can also have an effect on the managerial side. So many people abandoning their post, or throwing their hands up and quitting after thinking to themselves that all hope is lost.

I implore everyone to take these things into consideration. That does not mean you have to agree with the ideas linntrix is proposing, but comprehension goes a long way. There's a reason these ideas are being considered. The reasons or ideas may not be good, but try to understand why they've been presented to you. If all else fails, you can just ask.

Anyway, it's way past any sensible time to sleep, so I'll do my best to get some shuteye now. I hope my rambling makes at least a modicum of sense. Please be polite with each other in here.

GustavasSve

Don’t forget Hawaii!
Nebulae

i still genuinely think we should just forget about hl2 city rp as a setting and either focus on outlands entirely on a linear map or just move on to another setting altogether. I really don’t think this relaunch is going to go any better if city rp is included.

MaXenzie

Sexually attracted to robots
Media Developer
Nebulae
In a way, I can understand why you'd want to try these things, linntrix. Mechanics are very tangible, and can be fitted and adjusted depending on the situation. However, storylines in general are a much tougher beast to tackle due to their abstract nature. Coding is a demanding task, yes, but once it's done, you can expect it to work as intended - or troubleshoot the code. Narrative, on the other hand, requires not only lots of planning, but also tons of flexibility if the players respond unexpectedly.

Patience is also important, because not only can this playerbase produce enough salt to preserve the foods of an entire kingdom over the most benign of issues, it can also have an effect on the managerial side. So many people abandoning their post, or throwing their hands up and quitting after thinking to themselves that all hope is lost.

I implore everyone to take these things into consideration. That does not mean you have to agree with the ideas linntrix is proposing, but comprehension goes a long way. There's a reason these ideas are being considered. The reasons or ideas may not be good, but try to understand why they've been presented to you. If all else fails, you can just ask.

Anyway, it's way past any sensible time to sleep, so I'll do my best to get some shuteye now. I hope my rambling makes at least a modicum of sense. Please be polite with each other in here.

in truth there is no streamlining good storytelling, and the basis of any long-term attachment to a server is the story

making a city with loads of factions and dev'd up mechanics means diddly squat if you then open the gates and go "okay enjoy your sandbox that we've heavily regulated"

Numbers

ok
Nebulae
city is a nice way to get cash then book it to the outlands (where i will be waiting for u), it resolves the problem of passive income in an outland server, gives new players a grounded place to start in and branch out, and gives rebels a location to recruit people into the outlands

thats assuming players join, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.