WIP "Urban Exploration" Project

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
Every once in a while I get to visit the now mostly demolished Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry, though to keep it simple I'll be referring to it as the "Byberry Aslyum".
Byberry02.jpg

Place used to be absolutely massive, though now the central administration building remains. There's an addon used by a drug rehab center though that's not important. The Central Administration building is abandoned and boarded off, though it's accessible through a few windows (they've been blocked with concrete though a few have been broken through) and the tunnels that are still open.

Now, I'm not mainly focusing on the Asylum- most of it isn't even there anymore. Rather, I'm focusing on a few key parts that still remain, those being-

• The only remaining road that leads to what used to be one of the Asylum buildings.
  • The actual tunnels which span 2+ miles.
  • Surrounding forest areas.

The area surrounding what remains of Byberry is pretty interesting. There's a few small woodland areas which house some of the old roads that were used to connect the massive building. I'll attach a few pictures below before I go on.

QSFN7AC.jpg

RxlYhN0.jpg

dT2hf0e.jpg

6r0cIaR.jpg

The area is insanely overgrown and people only really use it as a place to drink (it's fairly secluded) or to hunt. There's a LOT of illegal hunting that goes on in the area and I'll attach some evidence of that below.

DMQicPb.jpg

9KIKBvI.jpg

x7SJb4K.jpg

Area is by no means safe- there's a massive population of wild animals, a bunch of broken glass everywhere, hunting traps (which a few people have nearly fallen victim to), burrows, thorns, you name it. It's a pretty hard area to traverse.

Anyways, the main of this thread is that I'll be updating it every so often with updates on the area and my exploration of it. So far I have spent a lot of my time searching for the entrances to the old tunnels that lead through (and out of) the asylum. There's a few youtube videos which confirm my suspicion that some of the tunnels are located in this area. I also find the history of this place (and the area around it!) really interesting, especially the use of it to this day.

So yeah, I'll be updating this whenever I get the chance. Eventually I'll record stuff professionally but all I have now are shitty Snapchat recordings that vary heavily in age. Anyways, hope you enjoy this.

Freelok

Electron
B A N N E D
Nebulae
I did a bit more digging and have a bit more of a rough estimate of where the area may be. I plan to go out this weekend, hopefully sometime Sunday night (it'll be snowing and the terrain will be more navigable and the area will be lighter- moonlight + snow = bright). A few people have been clearing some of the larger thorn bushes out of the area for parties and shit so that makes it a lot easier to navigate the more difficult areas.

Complete area of interest:

A14P9Fp.jpg

The stone paths you see are the only remaining rods that lead to the asylum, seen on the far right. The outcrop between the first road and the asylum is overgrown with general foliage and a LOT of thorn bushes.

h3nF7Ko.jpg

Also, here is a present day photo of what remains of the Main Administration building:

A6KrVsP.png

qLLtu2g.jpg

Those are all from google maps, I'll try to get some live ones eventually.

Most of the old land has been re purposed for homes, factories and soccer fields. That being said, a lot of it is fairly difficult to get on as it is private property (though at night it's nearly a public park). There's a lot of shit I haven't been able to explore yet though I'll get to it eventually.

To finish, here's a video from a few nights ago. It might be hard to see a lot, I don't really have a good phone flashlight. Expect some more comprehensive shit eventually.

There's some audio and quality issues since it was a phone recording. Take what you can get!

Reactions: List