Workshifts; And how to make them interesting as a Citizen

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Ricsow, Dec 4, 2019 at 7:19 PM.

1. Ricsow

Ricsow The title that displays under my name in my posts

Nebulae:
    WORKSHIFTS - one of the most boring, yet necessary HL2RP activity there is.

Almost every HL2RP Server has Workshifts, but why? Why would someone want to put something boring into their server? Well:

• It‘s a great way to get LP/DCD.
    • It helps out the CWU with their storage.
    • Completion gives you nice rewards
    But all these sweet factors don‘t change that workshifts are fucking boring.

So you wonder: „Hm, how can I make this Workshift interesting for me and my fellow working class comrades?“, well you have come to the right guide, jimbo!

OPTION 1: Failure & Pain
    Despite this horrifying title name, this can be really fun during workshifts. You see, one of the biggest reasons why workshifts are bland, is because everyone and their grandma just does 5 paragraphs of their character doing what the CWU overseer just said, but painted blue.

Nobody likes this, but it‘s the most straight forward way to do a Workshift quickly and effectively. Sure, if you‘re grinding DCD and rewards, go for it, but this place is about making workshifts fun!

The easiest but most versatile way to stand out a little from the routine GustavasSve /me is to /roll before stuff that requires a bit of skill. Not every character has sown a backpack before or put together a radio, but everyone acts like their character has done this thirty times now. The /roll helps you decide if you want to fail or succeed in a action, if you‘re not sure if your character knows how to do this, based on their background.

I personally do the /roll thing quite a lot, it‘s simple and can be creative based on your succeeding or failing /me. For example, you‘re hammering a nail into a wooden board, and your character isn‘t a certified Bob The Builder. Do a /roll to see how your character nails it in. A high roll? Make him nail it perfectly. A mediocre roll? Make him bent the nail a little, and a bad roll? Well fucking break your left hand with your hammer instead of the nail.

Now another method of this that makes a little more sense is the Background Check Method. It depends on how well you know your character. Was your Character a electrician before the war? Implement that into workshifts that are based on electronics and workshifts that have jack shit to do with electrics. Was your Character in a Child Labor camp from the Union, and had to cut melons for their whole life up until now? Make him cut up those melons without even looking! (Or just refuse to cut them from the terrible Melon-Related PTSD your character has developed by now).

Option 2: Misfortune
    Misfortune, bad luck, whatever you call it, your character has and will experience it as some point. And at some point he will even experience it in a Workshift or two.

Let me set the scene, you‘re walking around with a group of 4, washing off any graffiti around the town. You‘re walking up the stairs, when you see that the player before you holding the ladder prop is shaking around like they have Parkinsons. Take that stuff ICly! RP getting your face smacked off like a WWE superstar by the ladder and fall down the stairs and butt-first into the CP behind you.

Maybe this misfortune can happen to someone else around you, and directly affect the Workshift. Maybe you accidentally activate a machine that a another worker is cleaning right now, and badly injure them. Maybe you‘re sorting out bananas, and your friend‘s bananas behind you aren‘t ready to be eaten? Get a CWU worker to switch them out with be- wait a minute, he CWU worker gave them even worse bananas! (This has actually happened to me, laughed my butt off for 30 minutes straight), but it‘s rare for someone to RP this on their own. Encourage them to /roll or RP having misfortune in a Workshift, but don‘t force them to it, it might make you look like a dick.

Option 3: Thievery and Violence
    Are you a absolutely RAD and COOL person? Are Option 1 and 2 absolutely boring!? Well say no more, Option 3 is for you.

Are you playing a hotheaded Character? Make them get angry and failing in a Workshift and smack something (or someone). Are you playing a Rebel in the city? Try and still some of those goodies, and blame them going missing on someone else.

Do you find that hard to do? Talk to the CWU worker beforehand and ask what‘s being produced today, is it something good? Get your rebel friends to storm the Workshift and steal the goodies! Do you hate someone in that Workshift? Leave the building for a moment and bomb the workplace! Do you like extra rewards? Try to befriend the CWU worker of the Workshift and talk him into giving you (and others, maybe) extra coupons, real food and alcohol and special goodies! You‘ve got the choice! Make the Workshift your bitch!

Extra Part for CWU Workers
    Have you noticed a lack of interest in your workshifts? Are you getting burnt out with your clean x, produce y workshifts? Do you want to stand out? Well go around the city, talk to friends and get inspired.

A good example would be something apartment related, pretend that people have complained about their heating or windows in their apartments, organize a shift in there. Be creative! Nobody is going to hate you for making a Workshift about something you made up OOCly!

Are you uncreative and need to reach your quota? Be a bit rebellious for example, smash in a window, set something on fire, and make a Workshift about it! Nobody knows it‘s you if you work on the problem instead of ignoring it.

That‘s the guide folks! Leave your ways of making workshifts interesting down below!

• nebulous nebulous x 11
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Dingtard

Dingtard Molecule

Nebulae:
  3. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Nebulae:

tag a homie if u gonna talk shit about em pussy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ricsow

Nebulae:
    @GustavasSve /me
    (Stop making them so long it makes Roleplaying with you drag out too long I swear to god)

5. GustavasSve

GustavasSve Don’t forget Hawaii!

Nebulae:
  6. Hiros

Hiros Who ?
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    11/10 would bomb my faction again

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  7. Freedom Mac

Freedom Mac Proton

Nebulae:
    /me fixing a very important machine that requires professional and delicate work...

/roll

Rolls 1 out of 100

"Well fuc-" Proceeds to get their hand cut off from lack of experience and just being an idiot overall

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  8. Ricsow

Nebulae:
    That‘s the spirit

• nebulous nebulous x 1
    • Zing Zing x 1
  9. Bruzzo

Bruzzo Khanty

Nebulae:
    How to make them interesting as a citizen: bring a gun

• nebulous nebulous x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. sots

sots `impulse-approved

Nebulae:
    The @York experience of making people get burnt to death when they roll low to work on a mains gas pipe

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  11. dallahan

dallahan a bad memer
    HL2 RP Administrator

Nebulae:
    dont write a book when youre explaining what to do with your stuff

i dont want to read through a books page when either participating or overseeing a shift - it can get really confusing for new and experienced players alike

• nebulous nebulous x 2
  12. Ricsow

Nebulae:
    Especially because everyone says „I have no questions“ right after the big ass block of text so you have to scroll up while doing your Workshift to even know what you’re doing

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  13. Appetite Ruining Kebab

Nebulae:
    slicing your text up in lines of two will always be superior to jamming your undignified prose into the chatbox

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  14. Kenny.

Kenny. Electron

Nebulae:
    is this a reference to the shift where i fucked up melons 5 times and the CWU gave me another 5 bad ones only because of horrible rolls

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  15. Ricsow

Nebulae:
    Perhaps

• nebulous nebulous x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice