[Writing] House Cinder

Dicknose

Whatever happens, happens.
Nebulae
JAMES

"Lord Eddard Has been slain by that Boy king." Randal Cinder exclaimed while tossing the letter down onto the table situated in the middle of the room. The room was dank and was illuminated by candles. A man with a rough face, shaggy brown hair with hazel eyes,broad shoulders, and a full grown beard sat at the table, slumped in the chair. "Robb Stark is gathering an army and unifying the Northern houses." Randal Cinder continued. "James, I am going to Winterfell with a large host to give our arms to the Starks." The Man sitting at the table was James Cinder, Randal Cinder's Eldest and only true son, and heir to the Kiln. The Kiln is the fort that the Cinders had held for centuries.

"Why can I not come?" James Cinder asked with roughness in his voice.

"You're are the heir to the Kiln, you need to watch over it. That bastard of mine can't." Randal Cinder always despised his bastard. The bastard, named Ashen, always reminded Randal of the pain he brought to his wife. James remained silent.Randal nodded, left the room, and James followed. Exiting the room, James heard a familiar voice come from the right of him. The voice was low but not as low as Randal's. The man had straight Blond hair, with emerald green eyes. His shoulders not as broad as James' shoulders, but still broad. At his side was a broadsword in a scabbard. A smile was etched onto his face.

"Ashen, were you listening the whole time?" James said startled.

Ashen shook his head, and said "What did father say?"

"Lord Eddard Stark was slain by King Joffrey." Ashen's smile quickly turned into a solemn look." Father is marching North with a large host to meet up with Robb Stark. For now, I am the Lord of the Kiln." James has always felt sympathy for Ashen, with him being a bastard. "Once Father Marches, you will take my bedchambers, and I will take his. For a time you won't be sleeping in that hut." The smile etched onto Ashen's face once again.

The turret where James's bedchamber was, overlooked the courtyard of the Fort. James' legs were sore by the time he had reached the top. The bedchamber was a small room, with a balcony that hung over the courtyard. In the middle of the room was a small bed filled with straw and next to the bed was a table with a horn of ale on top of it. James walked out onto the balcony and put his hands on the cold, and grey stone railing. He heard the clang of swords clashing against each other, men insulting each other, and the sound of stamping horses. The courtyard was small compared to other holds, castles, and forts, but nonetheless, it was large. James remembered when he trained with a wooden sword and the day that he finally could practice with real steel. The weight and feel of his first steel made him feel immortal. He got more training than most of the boys in the Fort, and more than Ashen. After every lesson, James would find Ashen and teach him what was taught to him.The horizon would be turning pink, with blue highlights, and the sun would be setting. He approached the horn of ale and grabbed it. James lifted it to his mouth and could feel foam jump onto his lip. He lowered the horn of ale and placed it on the table. The feeling of the straw made James let out a sigh of relief and his legs also felt relieved.

He closed his eyes and sleep take him. James awoke to the sound of horses, and men speaking. Is Father already leaving? James thought. I thought he would leave later, not so soon. He yawned, and got out from the straw bed, grabbed the steel sword, and walked out from his turret. As he walked down the stairs, James wrapped the scabbard around his waist. At the entrance to the turret, was sitting Ashen, waiting with a solemn face. Once James had called Ashen's name, a smile ran across his face. "Why are you waiting?" James asked, and all James got was Ashen shrugging. He started to walk to the feast hall of the fort to break his fast, and Ashen followed. "Have you already broken your fast?" Ashen nodded, and continued to follow the stride of James. The Hallway to the Feast Hall, was just as cold as any place in the Kiln. James always laughed at how kilns are supposed to be warm, but yet, the Kiln was cold. The hallway was decorated with paintings, and torches. Grey, slick, stone held the Kiln together, and the hallway together. They approached the tall, wooden doors of the hall. As they entered the feast hall, they were greeted by 3 rows of tables that were in front of one long table, the lord's table.James walked to the lord’s table and sat in a chair that was closest, and Ashen had stopped outside the doors. Randal Cinder didn’t allow Ashen to sit at the lord’s table, but that would change once Randal left. James was served roasted bacon, along with bread. The smell of the food made James’s mouth water, and once the food was placed on his table, he dug into the bacon like a wild dog. Once he finished with breaking his fast, James got up and searched for Ashen. Where did Ashen go? Why does he always run off when I am eating?

ASHEN

Ashen had always liked the forest, and how quiet it was. Ashen could do what he wanted with no one watching, and could do anything without like feeling an outcast. He has always thought of how the green of the Pine matched the green of his eyes. I could run away right now, and no one who bat an eye. Ashen was thought. Anger filled Ashen the more and more he thought about living at the Kiln, and about Randal Cinder and the rest of the people that lived there. The only person that would is James. He’s the only one that treats me like a….Like a person. He had his right hand holding the reins of his horse, and his left hand on the hilt of his broadsword. The Morning was grey and misty with the late summer snows covering the ground. Ashen was heading to a opening that was secluded from the world. On the other side of the forest was a house that was loyal to the Lannisters. The Cinders and this house were at each other’s throats ever since the Reign of Mad King Aerys. “Oh, Ashen, There you are!” A soft voice yelled out.

“Is that you, Ellion?” Ashen called out.

“Indeed.” Ellion replied. Ellion was a short man, with sharp features. His jaw was wide, his shoulders wide, and his legs short. Dark brown hair hung down from Ellion's head, and a scruffy beard accompanied his hair. His eyes were a deep brown and looked like bark. “Are you ready for today’s lesson?” Ellion asked. Ashen nodded. “For today’s lesson we are going to be training on foot, not on horseback.” Ellion added. A disappointed face donned Ashen. “Oh, Ashen, you can’t always be on horseback. During battle you cannot always be on horseback.” Ellion said with a sympathetic tone. “How about after we’re done with this lesson we can practice on horseback.” Ashen nodded and went to tie the reins to a nearby tree. Ashen returned to where Ellion had been and would draw his broadsword, with Ellion doing the same. “Remember stay on your feet, do not stand still.” Ellion advised. Ashen nodded, and Ellion lunged at Ashen with a wooden sword drawn. Ashen attempted to dodge out of the way, but ultimately tripped, and the wooden sword was able to hit him in the stomach.. A sharp pain rang throughout his stomach, and he moaned at the pain.Ashen stumbled while getting up, and shook his head. He got ready again and nodded, and once again Ellion had lunged at Ashen with the wooden sword. Ashen stood there, nervous of what is to come. Ellion came closer to Ashen’s stomach each split second that Ashen stood there. Ashen brought his broadsword up, and swat Ellion’s wooden one out of his hand. “Good! Good! Ashen, you are learning!” Ellion said with enthusiasm within his soft voice. “But your skills on foot do not compare to your skill on horseback.” Ellion added on. “The Sun is high, you should probably head back before anyone questions where you ran off to.” Ellion exclaimed. Hmph, like anyone cares that I’m gone. Ashen nodded, walked over to his horse, untied it’s reins and sheathed his broadsword. By the time Ashen had returned, it was almost time for supper, and the Kiln was quiet. Father’s host must’ve left….So soon. As he entered the Fort’s gates, Ashen saw James waiting, leaned up against a pillar. Ashen called a stable boy, and a stable boy came, too his horse, but never called Ashen “Ser”, only “Bastard”. Walking up to James, Ashen was feeling nervous. What is James going to say? Have I been caught? Ashen frantically thought. “Going on your daily horse ride?” James questioned, and Ashen swiftly responded with a soft “Yes”. “No matter, now with Father gone you can actually be treated like a real person. I have brought a matter, a matter that I think you’ll enjoy, but the answer you won’t.”

“What is it?” Ashen eagerly responded.

“I had asked Father to legitimize you.” A frown fell across James’s face, as well as Ashen’s.”His answer, of course, being no. Nonetheless, you are still my brother. Whether you are legitimized or not, doesn’t change that fact.” One person would care if I ran away, and one of the only people that matter to me.

James

The talk of war and trade always made James feel uncomfortable. A map was spread on the dark brown table with wooden figures of House Stark, House Lannister, and House Baratheon situated on top of the map. “We have a host of Four hundred and Fifty going to Winterfell right now to go aid young Robb Stark, and we only have a hundred soldiers guarding the Kiln. And Now the Crobwells are attacking our mines, we must do something, James!” A man with a booming voice demanded.

“We do not have enough men to fight the Crobwells,you know that Petyr, and even if we did, it would make our relationship with them even worse. Believe me I want to fight them, but it would only make our situation worse. We can either fight Crobwell or we can try to talk to them.” James said with tiredness in his voice. Petyr was the tallest and widest man that James had ever seen. Petyr’s auburn hair was greasy and hung from his head like moss, and his beard was grown out. Nothing I say will sway his mind James had thought. “I am the only heir to the Kiln, I cannot die in battle. My Father will not legitimize my brother, he despises Ashen and despises Norin.” Norin was James’s trueborn brother and was born during the Targaryen reign. Norin didn’t look like Randal, or James, even Ashen looked more like a Cinder than Norin.

“If we go into battle we would lose. We have low numbers, their numbers are doubled!” James continued on. “Though are men have much more experience, but that does no-”

“They raped and killed my wife! How do you expect me to just forget?” Petyr interrupted with his booming voice.

“That is not a reason to go to war! They have taken a lot of things, and I promise you, that they will pay, but the time for revenge is not now!” James could feel his face turn red with anger, but he could also feel the guilt fill his stomach. Petyr’s shook his head, and James could see the grief and sadness in his eyes.“I am sorry Petyr.” His face was now red with embarrassment. How could I have treated Petyr like this? “ Please send Reyna to my chambers, Petyr. I need to talk to her.” Petyr exited the room and James sat down onto the hard wooden chair. His legs ached and throbbed. It felt as if James had not rested for weeks. Is this what being old feels like? James laughed to the thought. I am far from being old. I still have many years and I still have a purpose. The thought of being a lord always excited James. The food, the women and the power. The door to James’s chamber open, and revealed a woman with Brown hair, and Brown eyes. Her emotion looked innocent and her face looked sweet. James pushed himself up from the chair. “Reyna, dear sister, how have you been?” James said once the woman walked into the room. “I have been doing fine, brother. Why have you summoned me?” Reyna mumbled. “ I have to tell you that I am heading into battle with Petyr.” James could see the shock in Reyna’s eyes as he said the words. “F-For what?” Reyna said nervously. “We have to stop the Crobwells from attacking our mines, so that’s what we’re doing. Do not worry Sister, I have went to battle many times, and came back many times” James touched the side of Reyna’s face, as this could be the last time James would see her. “Sorry, Sister, but I must rest.” Reyna nodded and walked out of the room. I cannot leave Reyna alone in this cruel place. A war is coming and I need to be here to protect her. James was deep in thought as he put on his tunic and breeches. He crawled into bed and drifted into a deep sleep.

The next morning, the sky was a light pink with a tint of orange mixed in.The winds howled and a frost covered the courtyard.James awoke to the sound of chirping birds and the sound of soldiers marching.

Darren

The wind blew against his face as he looked into the forest from his turret. Darren pushed up from the chair he was sitting in, and began to walk down his turret stairs. A solemn face always donned Darren, though he was excellent at hiding the fact. Darren had pale white skin, shaggy brown hair, along with grey eyes. Every day Darren, he would go to the library first thing, and today was no different. Darren had always prefered reading over fighting and hunting, the pain from everything, he didn’t like how it bruised him and cut him. Though his father didn’t agree with this. Lord Arren Crobwell had five sons and one daughter, Their eldest Ellion, and their youngest being Darren. The library had a cold, nipping wind blowing through it. The Starks are right, Winter is coming Darren had thought when he felt the wind run down his spine. Darren had finished reading and went to the courtyard to meet up with his brother Ellion. Ellion was by far the best swordsman in his family. The courtyard was muddy and sound always arose from it, and swords always clashed against each other as if it was in a battle.

Akula

Sangheili Bias
Nebulae
feels like you name drop too much, might just be me